PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect time?

ezkcdude
2006-06-04, 10:36
I just looked at my SB3, which is connected to SqueezeNetwork. It's displaying the time as 11:51, and it is actually 12:35 here. Anybody have a clue? I could understand 1 full hour ahead or behind, but ~45 minutes seems weird.

notanatheist
2006-06-04, 23:05
Check the time on the server. Daylight savings? Reboot? CMOS battery?

smc2911
2006-06-04, 23:16
Not sure an average user will be able to reboot SqueezeNetwork!

Ben Sandee
2006-06-05, 07:10
On 6/5/06, smc2911 <smc2911.28x1bb1149488401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Not sure an average user will be able to reboot SqueezeNetwork!

I'm sure if you ask nicely they will give you sudo access.

Ben

Siduhe
2006-06-05, 07:41
I just looked at my SB3, which is connected to SqueezeNetwork. It's displaying the time as 11:51, and it is actually 12:35 here. Anybody have a clue? I could understand 1 full hour ahead or behind, but ~45 minutes seems weird.

Did you try forcing the time settings ? i.e. log into SN, Squeezeboxes, Preferences, then change the time setting to something other than your preference. Wait till it updates, then change it back ?

Might be worth a try.

ezkcdude
2006-06-05, 07:56
I'll try that when I get home tonight. It's lost another 45 minutes since yesterday. Strange...

NookZ
2006-06-30, 12:33
Hi,

Was this ever resolved? My SB3 is showing 12:32PM when it should be 8:32PM. I've looked all over my Slimserver but can't see anything wrong.

Regards,

NZ

radish
2006-06-30, 15:16
Hi,

Was this ever resolved? My SB3 is showing 12:32PM when it should be 8:32PM. I've looked all over my Slimserver but can't see anything wrong.

Regards,

NZ
The original post was about squeezenetwork, which is out of users' control. If you're using slimserver, it simply gets the time from the machine you run it on.

BBobley
2006-06-30, 19:40
On a slightly related topic: The Dell server that I use to run Slimserver has never kept time well. (Bad battery on motherboard? I don't know for sure). I found that it slipped out of sync quite often. By default, Windows XP only syncs with an Internet time server once a week. But by the time a week went by, my server would be off by a few minutes.

Anyway, I found an article that tells you how to modify Windows to sync as often as you like. I now sync a few times a day and my time is very accurate now. Here's the article:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/985/

NookZ
2006-07-03, 05:42
The original post was about squeezenetwork, which is out of users' control. If you're using slimserver, it simply gets the time from the machine you run it on.

Hi,

My problem is with my SlimServer installation (on an Infrant NV) only as the time is correct when I am connected to SqueezeNetwork. My problem is that the NV is set to get it's time from NTP, but SlimServer is still showing GMT -8:00 - whicj I guess makes sense since I imported the NAS from US.

Is there anything I can do?

Regards,

NZ

Mark Lanctot
2006-07-03, 07:12
Hi,

My problem is with my SlimServer installation (on an Infrant NV) only as the time is correct when I am connected to SqueezeNetwork. My problem is that the NV is set to get it's time from NTP, but SlimServer is still showing GMT -8:00 - whicj I guess makes sense since I imported the NAS from US.

Is there anything I can do?

Regards,

NZ

There's no clock in the Squeezebox. There is literally nothing to tell it that it's still on U.S. time.

It gets its time exclusively from SlimServer, and SlimServer gets its time from the system it's installed on. Recheck your ReadyNAS - it may be pulling its time from a U.S. timeserver.

aubuti
2006-07-03, 07:55
Recheck your ReadyNAS - it may be pulling its time from a U.S. timeserver.
ICBW, but I think the NTP timeservers are neutral on timezones. I think they report UTC, and rely on the timezone offset on the local machine to be correct. It could be that the Infrant box is still set to a US time zone. Never having seen an NV in real life, I don't know how you'd go about changing it, but it's probably in the admin menus.

mash
2006-07-03, 13:37
aubuti is correct, NTP server deliver time independently from timezones. That is why you have to select the right timezone in your server (the ReadyNAS in your case). I am not sure which Raidiator release you are running. If you are not on the latest beta release (which I have not seen yet). log into your Readynas through the Webinterface (https://readynasIP/admin). Then navigate to the CLOCK button on the left side of the window. Choose the NTP OPTION tab in the main window. Select your timeserver and your correct timzone.

Hope this helps

Matt

NookZ
2006-07-03, 13:51
aubuti is correct, NTP server deliver time independently from timezones. That is why you have to select the right timezone in your server (the ReadyNAS in your case). I am not sure which Raidiator release you are running. If you are not on the latest beta release (which I have not seen yet). log into your Readynas through the Webinterface (https://readynasIP/admin). Then navigate to the CLOCK button on the left side of the window. Choose the NTP OPTION tab in the main window. Select your timeserver and your correct timzone.

Hope this helps

Matt

Hi,

I's already tried that and that's why I was a little confused. I've set up the NAS to get it's time from NTP and set the timezone offset to GMT. The NAS is showing the correct time (well it's an hour out due to BST) but SlimServer still shows up GMT -8!

I'm going to manually set the time information in the NAS and see what that does.

Cheers,

NookZ.

NookZ
2006-07-05, 01:43
Hi,

I've managed to fix this by stopping the SlimServer service on the ReadyNAS and restarting.

Thanks,

NZ