PDA

View Full Version : Trying to add radio stations in particular BBC

Paul
2006-06-03, 04:36
Hi,

I would like to be able to listen to a number of radion stations which are not available via SqueezeNetwork in particular BBC Radio stations. I've read the various postings and tried useing URLSnooper but it only finds .ra streams which don't work when I add them as a Favorite. I also installed the AlienBBC plug-in and this works great but only with SlimServer. I would like to be able to just switch on my hi-fi and Squeezebox and listen to BBC R4 without having to boot my PC.

Any other things I try? Any plans to add AlienBBC to SqueezeNetwork and/or support RealAudio which more and more stations are using?

Thanks,
Paul.

ModelCitizen
2006-06-03, 04:50
Hi,
I would like to be able to listen to a number of radion stations which are not available via SqueezeNetwork in particular BBC Radio stations. I've read the various postings and tried useing URLSnooper but it only finds .ra streams which don't work when I add them as a Favorite. I also installed the AlienBBC plug-in and this works great but only with SlimServer. I would like to be able to just switch on my hi-fi and Squeezebox and listen to BBC R4 without having to boot my PC.
Any other things I try? Any plans to add AlienBBC to SqueezeNetwork and/or support RealAudio which more and more stations are using?
Thanks,
Paul.
Real Audio is a proprietry format that (the obnoxious) Real company charge to licence. AlienBBC uses the open source MPlayer codec which was arrived at by reverse engineering the Real codec. This could mean at some point it could fall foul of Real (who love sueing and closing companies down). I think SlimDecives do not include Real Audio with the default SlimServer installation for this reason. The same applies to Squeezenetwork.
BTW.I was under the impression that Real Audio was becoming less popular as a format. Even the BBC are looking towards MP3.
MC

funkstar
2006-06-03, 06:36
There is no way that AlienBBC could be ported to SqueezeNetwork. The computing power required to transcode all the streams it would be asked to would be phenomenal.

There would also be a question on the legalitis of this. Any stations playing though SqueezeNetwork are still being streamed directly from their original source, SN just controls the player etc. If SN were to take a stream, transcode it and then stream it on to your player, they would in effect be re-broadcasting the stream. This is something most radio stations would not be happy about (well, at least their lawers wouldn't be happy about it).

More likel, although i don't know how much more likely, would be for RealAudio to be supported natively in the SB. I believe there have been some changes to the licensing terms and fees associated with Reals Helix architecture. whether this is likely to make a difference :shrug: who knows.

I still hope the BBC will drop their Real streams and addopt something more widely accepted. They have WMA for their digital only stations at the moment and have experimented with Ogg streaming for either Radio 2 or Radio 4 in the past. And they use MP3 for their PodCasts. So surely something must give at some point.

Paul
2006-06-04, 06:35
Thanks for the replies. I found an FAQ on the BBC website where they clearly state that they only support their own player or Real. I think it also had a pretty dud reason why. So, I emailed them asking politely whay they do this and that they are missing out on a new and fast growing community of people using SlimDevices, Roku etc. I also read another posting about commercial stations want to keep people reading their online adverts (or should that be Real's adverts) but this also does seem to be a particulalrly valid reason as I would have to assume that people listening to their on-air advertising is more important. I think Real have just done an excellent sales job.

I was also out of luck with RTE (Ireland) who also use Real. Just copying BBC I guess?

funkstar
2006-06-04, 09:25
the BBC went with Real years ago when there wasn't nearly the same interest in internet radio. There also wasn't the same bandwidth available or types of streaming formats available.

Since then WMA has become a real alternative to Real (sorry) at the same data rates, MP3 would requite a higher data rate and is not adaptive (i.e. they drop down to a lower quality if your connection is slow/busy) like the other two are. At the time RealAudio was probably the best choice out there.

I guess in the future they could move to another format, but this would mean introducing additional servers to support the streams and encoding etc. The WMA streams for the digital chanels are out sourced to a third party, the BBC does not stream them to you itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC does move to a more open system eventually.

Ur[s]uS
2006-06-05, 04:52
d'oh - just re-read your post ... sorry (perhaps a TS-101 with AlienBBC plug-in would help !)

----
Listening to RTE Radio 1 (Morning Ireland) on SB3, as I write.
Using:
Slimserver 6.2.2
AlienBBC v1.03 (4.15mb installer) - http://www.x2systems.com/AlienBBC/
Server Settings - Alien BBC - you'll have to add RTE Radio from Inactive Menu Items.
Alien BBC works a treat

mikerob
2006-06-05, 14:02
I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC does move to a more open system eventually.

They are using Real, Windows Media and (I think) mp4 for a multicast trial - but this is only accessible through certain UK ISPs.

They list Real Player, Windows Media, Quicktime and VLC as the supported players (www.bbc.co.uk/multicast)

funkstar
2006-06-05, 15:45
Interesting, thanks for the link. Pitty there aren't a lot of details there, but i like the idea.