PDA

View Full Version : NAS + AlienBBC

jtuggey
2006-06-02, 06:00
I know that there are many threads re. NAS devices for slimserver. I tried the NSLU2 and whilst it worked okay(ish), it was frustrating slow, even for menus. The Kurobox seems to rate highly. Has anyone had any success and using AlienBBC with any NAS? Having access to live BBC radio is an essential part of my squeezebox experience!

azinck3
2006-06-02, 06:07
I know that there are many threads re. NAS devices for slimserver. I tried the NSLU2 and whilst it worked okay(ish), it was frustrating slow, even for menus. The Kurobox seems to rate highly. Has anyone had any success and using AlienBBC with any NAS? Having access to live BBC radio is an essential part of my squeezebox experience!

The QNap TS-101 can be purchased with SlimServer and AlienBBC installed and apparently works well.

Fifer
2006-06-02, 07:43
I can confirm that AlienBBC works very well with the Qnap TS-101.

bpa
2006-06-02, 07:51
IIRC
A Linkststation HG (PPC) user said AlienBBC worked very well - increased CPU usage only by 10-20%.
However a Linkstation HD (MIPSel) user said AlienBCC was unusable.

I'm not sure what the critical factor is - CPu or memeory. Mplayer is getting very big using the default configure - it may be part of the problem.

jtuggey
2006-06-02, 08:14
The QNAP is a bit expensive for my budget! Anything cheaper that definitely works with AlienBBC?

TCM
2006-06-02, 09:10
I found this guide [ https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/18 ] the other day. Have not tried it yet though, but it seems to be a detailed guide. I'm interested to here from others that have gone this way. And it's quite cheap :-D (if you have an old computer at home)