PDA

View Full Version : How hot is too hot for my squeezebox?

MUCHO
2006-05-31, 23:20
Hello I have a squeezebox in a 3rd story loft that during the day gets extremely hot. Tempatures will often exceed 100F sometimes over 110.

I've noticed the unit itself is a bit warm even when "turned off".

I can unplug this unit when its not in use if these tempatures are dangerous to the unit.

Obviously when its "on" and playing it will be signifigantly cooler.

Should I worry about my precious?

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-01, 16:08
Hello I have a squeezebox in a 3rd story loft that during the day gets extremely hot. Tempatures will often exceed 100F sometimes over 110.

I've noticed the unit itself is a bit warm even when "turned off".

I can unplug this unit when its not in use if these tempatures are dangerous to the unit.

Obviously when its "on" and playing it will be signifigantly cooler.

There were a few initial SB3s that had problems with the display. It seems the display was overheating even though the temperature was within the unit's specifications.

Those problems were solved and there have been no reports since.

Take a look at SlimServer Help - Technical Information - Data sheet for the display hardware (PDF). Page 2, maximum operating temperature, 70 C (that's 158 F). That's 48 F above your ambient temperature. I don't know how much hotter than ambient the SB3 gets. 48 F hotter? Probably not. But it's up to you to decide.

Should I worry about my precious?

My precious! The precious came to MEEE! It's my birthday present! :-)

seanadams
2006-06-01, 16:28
this indicates that the VFD is close to its temperature limit under normal room temperatures.

No, it doesn't indicate that at all! It means there was something wrong with those specific displays, which we later traced to a manufacturing defect in a chip inside the display glass. The displays are specced to run from -40 to +85 celcius, (-40 to 185 F), and all the internal components are rated roughly the same. Those bad displays were blanking out at just a couple degrees above room temperature.

I haven't heard of any problems running SB3 at high temperatures and I don't think 115F would be any problem at all. We haven't stress-tested a large sample at high temperatures so I don't know the typical limit but it should be well beyond that. Unless you notice erratic behavior, the only thing I would worry about is if you're drinking enough water. :)

Mark Lanctot
2006-06-01, 16:48
Whoops! Sorry about that Sean! <blush>

Edit coming up.

Yeah, at 185F I would think that it wouldn't be very pleasant listening to a Squeezebox! ;-)

MUCHO
2006-06-02, 00:49
Alrighty - I'll worry not! When it gets really hot up there I can't turn on the projector or it instantly overheats.

Glad I don't have to worry about my precious! :)