PDA

View Full Version : Firefox rendering problem...

bossanova808
2006-05-29, 04:43
On my laptop, I browse Slimerver (with the default skin, 6.2.2) in firefox 1.5.0.3 and certain buttons are missing - most notably the playlist buttons (save, clear etc). Also, when browsing through the music library, if I click on an artist or album or whatever, the right hand pane disappears.

Everything is fine in IE, and on two other computers with firefox installed. I don't have many plugins, and none on the laptop that aren't on the other machines.

Any ideas?

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-29, 06:58
This problem seems similar:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23978

Would that be the issue?

bossanova808
2006-05-29, 16:10
Mark, thanks, that looks like it will be the problem - there must be a difference in adblock filters between the machines. It did not occur to me that adblock would block anything on the local machine.

Safe mode confirms the problem is an extension.

Sorry for the dupe!

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-29, 18:18
Mark, thanks, that looks like it will be the problem - there must be a difference in adblock filters between the machines. It did not occur to me that adblock would block anything on the local machine.

Safe mode confirms the problem is an extension.

Sorry for the dupe!

The issue is so rare it's hardly a dupe - it's just a strange enough problem and unique enough that it tweaked my memory.

I don't use the adblock extension but perhaps you can set it to whitelist localhost.

bossanova808
2006-05-30, 04:05
I've tried it now, and although the server isn't actually on localhost but another machine, adding an exception for that machine as per the above (i.e. @@http://server1) has worked a treat.

Thanks again Marc.

oreillymj
2006-05-30, 04:58
When I saw this issue, it only occurred for localhost URL's because 192.168 is already whitlisted somewhere.

So on other machines the UI worked fine, but locahost gave errors.

If you browse the UI from a remote machine on your network and have a host entry for your server, then you'll also see this issue as you won't be using a 192.168. in the URL. Never thought of this before.

There is a newer version of Adblock, which actually seems a bit more agressive, but it has stats you can reset prior to browsing a page. The rules which triggerred will give you an idea of what rule the Firefox UI falls foul of. Might try this tonight if I have time.