PDA

View Full Version : vote for feature request: read .txt files from the web UI

bephillips
2006-05-26, 12:40
Vote for the feature request here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3457

Here's the situation: I have a lot (>200 GB) of live music shows in flac format (not all of which have been thoroghly tagged yet), the flacs in a folder which also contains a .txt file of info about the show. Or I have flac'd some commercial CDs and wish to preserve some of the liner note content which might not be appropriate for the flac comments of individual tracks, so I have a .txt file in the folder for that album.

From within the Slimserver Web interface, perhaps only when "Browsing Music Folder", I want to be able to inspect these .txt files. It seems this should be easy to implement, as a web browser by default will try to display the contents of a .txt file that is clicked on, so the Web UI only needs to be changed to display these files in the interface. I don't think this needs to be accessible from the Squeezebox/remote interface. I don't like to read scrolling text.

Any thoughts on this?

JJZolx
2006-05-26, 14:03
Vote for the feature request here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3457

Here's the situation: I have a lot (>200 GB) of live music shows in flac format (not all of which have been thoroghly tagged yet), the flacs in a folder which also contains a .txt file of info about the show. Or I have flac'd some commercial CDs and wish to preserve some of the liner note content which might not be appropriate for the flac comments of individual tracks, so I have a .txt file in the folder for that album.

From within the Slimserver Web interface, perhaps only when "Browsing Music Folder", I want to be able to inspect these .txt files. It seems this should be easy to implement, as a web browser by default will try to display the contents of a .txt file that is clicked on, so the Web UI only needs to be changed to display these files in the interface. I don't think this needs to be accessible from the Squeezebox/remote interface. I don't like to read scrolling text.

Any thoughts on this?
I'm not sure why this information would be inappropriate for a comment fields. It's not like the comments are displayed anywhere except in the detailed track view, so they're not likely to get in the way of anything. True, if it's album information, then it seems wasteful, or redundant to store the data in every track, but the space used for even the most generous comments should be trivial in comparison to the space used for the music. The one downside is that this redundancy forces you to update the comments on every track within the album whenever you make a change. Flac permits you to have multiple COMMENT fields, so you can easily keep this album info separate from other comments, such as disc catalog numbers or whatever you might keep there normally.

I've been asking for a real Browse Music Folder for quite a while. I'm not sure, but I think it may finally happen in the foreseeable future. This is just about the only way you're ever going to be able to view things like .txt files or additional artwork scans from the web interface without SlimServer cataloging every single file that it finds in the music folder.

Another idea, instead of simply giving access to read any .txt file, might be to have a text file designated similar to the way "cover.jpg" is treated for album art. Say you had "album.txt", SlimServer could look for the file and if found, create an "album comment" that could be read at the album level. Either on the same page as the album listing or else by clicking a link and showing the text within a popup window or in the browse pane.