PDA

View Full Version : Firmware 50

rtitmuss
2006-05-26, 01:46
Firmware 50 will be available in the next 6.3 and 6.5 nightly releases. This version adds support for the WMA Voice codec that is used by some Internet radio stations.

Additional bug fixes are:
Bug #2127 - SB2 doesn't yet support the WMA Voice codec
Bug #2646 - wma files created by Media Jukebox 8 don't play in sb2/3 firmware
Bug #2846 - KQED is not able to play beyond the initial promo file
Bug #2938 - this wma vbr file seems to not be able to play all the way through
Bug #2997 - DHCP/Auto-IP is very unfriendly
Bug #2998 - "malloc_failed" error message on SB3 when modifying router settings...
Bug #3146 - Squeezebox cannot connect to 2wire 1700hg in WEP-open mode
Bug #3265 - Auto-upgrade setting too sensitive to repeat on remote
Bug #3266 - View Current Settings should just be "Current Settings"
Bug #3411 - Wma file only plays part way

Richard

oreillymj
2006-05-26, 03:26
Richard,

Is there a roadmap of FW enhancements you're working to implement,or is it strictly bug-fixes at the moment.

I think the only thing the SB lacks at this stage is native decoding of Real Audio streams. That would open up a huge number of streaming sites to the SB. AlienBBC is a good sustitute but the authors have to code it for specific sites.

bpa
2006-05-26, 06:36
AlienBBC has two parts
(1) Enable RealAUdio transcoding and parsing of SMIL and RAM playlist files.
(2) Web walking to find URL such as for BBC Listen Again.

Once AlienBBC is installed any RealAudio URL (e.g. RTSP, SMIL,RAM) can be entered into the Tune In box and the user can receive the stream - no additional coding is necessary. So all RealAudio sites are open to SB now with AlienBBC.

Having RealAudio support would help with (1) but not (2). If a user still wanted to browse "Listen Again" or NPR Programs - AlienBBC is still needed. Native RealAudio support would typically help users who have NSLU2 or Linkstation based slimservers whose CPU is not up to transcoding or those who want RealAudio (i.e. BBC) on Squeezenetwork.

oreillymj
2006-05-26, 11:05
I was more thinking that it opens up SqueezeNetwork to Real streams, so I can listen to the BBC etc.. with my PC off.

gsamsa
2006-05-26, 17:34
I think the only thing the SB lacks at this stage is native decoding of Real Audio streams. That would open up a huge number of streaming sites to the SB. AlienBBC is a good sustitute but the authors have to code it for specific sites.

What about WMA DRM support, to enable the use of subscription services such as Rhapsody or Yahoo music (either via SqueezeNetwork or for downloaded WMA files)? That's the thing I'm hoping for most.

Siduhe
2006-05-26, 18:49
What about WMA DRM support, to enable the use of subscription services such as Rhapsody or Yahoo music (either via SqueezeNetwork or for downloaded WMA files)? That's the thing I'm hoping for most.

No comment from Slim, but a number of rumours from different sources that Rhapsody support is in the pipeline:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22134&highlight=rhapsody

oreillymj
2006-05-27, 02:18
The reason I suggested Real is because they recently changed the licensing terms of their Helix player source code to make it easier for companies to license.

Music subscription services don't really appeal to me. I suppose there's 2 way's of looking at it.

1) You "own" a 150,000 track music collection by paying 9.99 a month. But you can't take the music with you and the collection disappears if you stop paying. But you don't have 15,000 CD's to store.

or

2) You're paying money for something you will never own. You will probably go out and buy CD's of the stuff you like listening to so you can play it in your car/mp3 player etc...

Perhap's it's a cultural thing but music rental seems like money down the drain to me.

tamanaco
2006-05-30, 12:34
I could not get the beta dated 05/29/30 with MySQL started and when I downgraded to a previous beta, I decided to upgraded to Firmware 50 which was left behind from the previously failed beta installation.

Everything appears to work fine, but the 4th option after "Now Playing" only shows when using the largest font. When I right click this new option "SlimServer Home" no action takes place. I also noticed that the size of Firmware 50 is 512KB; twice the size of previous releases. What's the reason for the increased size? Is there some debuging code included? I find this release a bit slower.

Martin_NL
2006-06-10, 03:01
This version adds support for the WMA Voice codec that is used by some Internet radio stations.

A lot of dutch internet radio stations are using WMA, i'm very happy with this support !