PDA

View Full Version : A hardware bug? Digital output is always on!

lovemov
2006-05-25, 08:38
I just realized that the digital output (RCA) will not turn off even I power off it from remote or server.

This is a serious bug, since I won't be able to share my external D/A with my transport now. The D/A does auto sense, once the RCA signal is there, it has the priority and will never switch to other ports.

Is there a fix?

azinck3
2006-05-25, 08:57
I just realized that the digital output (RCA) will not turn off even I power off it from remote or server.

This is a serious bug, since I won't be able to share my external D/A with my transport now. The D/A does auto sense, once the RCA signal is there, it has the priority and will never switch to other ports.

Is there a fix?

This was requested a while back. Looks like they're pretty close to a fix:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1397

seanadams
2006-05-25, 09:58
This is a software feature and will be changed. What you consider a bug is a benefit for others, since having the output on at all times helps to maintain sync with the receiver in situations where you would not want to drop the carrier, eg to avoid a few seconds of "lock time" lag. This was an issue with SB1, where we had limited control over the s/pdif and could not force it to be on continuously. The plan is to make this behavior configurable.

By the way, SB3 is the only device I'm aware of to feature a completely "soft" (as opposed to silicon) s/pdif transmitter, which allows us to tweak it however we want. It's just a matter of prioritizing this improvement. Please feel free to vote or add additional comments to the bug if you have anything to add.

JJZolx
2006-05-25, 10:12

Is there a fix?
My DAC works exactly the same way. It has both coax SPDIF and Toslink optical inputs, with no physical switch, and gives priority to the coax connection. One workaround may be to use coax for the transport and Toslink for the Squeezebox.

However, if the transport behaves similarly, by always sending a valid digital signal, then you're left to turn off the transport to play the Squeezebox. By the looks of request #1397, you'd be left to turn off the Squeezebox to allow the transport to play, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

lovemov
2006-05-25, 11:32
Make it configurable is the way to go. Cool, I can wait for the new releases, no problem. Thanks.

cbemoore
2006-05-26, 01:38
This is a software feature and will be changed. What you consider a bug is a benefit for others, since having the output on at all times helps to maintain sync with the receiver in situations where you would not want to drop the carrier, eg to avoid a few seconds of "lock time" lag. This was an issue with SB1, where we had limited control over the s/pdif and could not force it to be on continuously. The plan is to make this behavior configurable.

Hi Sean,

I'm not sure I quite understand the SB1 problem. Was it dropping sync with the receiver between tracks, or did it just take some time to synchronise with the receiver at startup? If it was the latter problem, then surely that's a receiver problem which would occur with any source, not just the SB1?

I was under the impression that the SB3 change would be simple - just turn off the SPDIF output (and the DAC) when the SB3 goes into standby, and turn them back on when it comes out of standby. I'm failing to see the advantage of making it configurable....

Regards
Chris

JJZolx
2006-05-26, 01:55
I'm not sure I quite understand the SB1 problem. Was it dropping sync with the receiver between tracks, or did it just take some time to synchronise with the receiver at startup? If it was the latter problem, then surely that's a receiver problem which would occur with any source, not just the SB1?

I was under the impression that the SB3 change would be simple - just turn off the SPDIF output (and the DAC) when the SB3 goes into standby, and turn them back on when it comes out of standby. I'm failing to see the advantage of making it configurable....
See Sean's comment #3 in enhancement request 1397 for reasons why it might need to be configurable:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1397#c3

I don't quite understand it either. He doesn't say why, but apparently it may not be sufficient (or possible?) to just turn the signal "off".

oreillymj
2006-05-26, 03:00
I'm in the same boat as most others on this thread/bug list.

My reciver also has a DVD player connected by TOSLink and CD player by Co-ax.

The reciver will switch to Co-ax if there is no signal on the TOSLink. Once it auto detects an input, it will not switch to another input while there is a signal.
Unless the SB switches off it's TOSLink/Coax outputs at power off, I cannot use my CD player with pulling the power or Toslink cable from the SB.

Most people just want the digital links to go off and power off.

Looks like the FW work is all done and the only outstanding work is hooking into the power off event.

cbemoore
2006-05-26, 03:32
Looks like the FW work is all done

Is it?? What makes you say that??

oreillymj
2006-05-27, 02:20
Read the messages from Sean in the bug list thread.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1397