PDA

View Full Version : Player does not play tracks in order

fingers
2006-05-24, 17:20
One of my ripped albums does not play in the correct order. There are 12 tracks and instead of playing 1 through 12 in order, it plays 1, 12, 2 - 11 (2 through 11 are in order). The player is not set to play in random order. The tracks are listed in order when browsing the album, just not when playing it.

Any help is appreciated.

ianjohnson_nz
2006-05-24, 19:48
One of my ripped albums does not play in the correct order. There are 12 tracks and instead of playing 1 through 12 in order, it plays 1, 12, 2 - 11 (2 through 11 are in order). The player is not set to play in random order. The tracks are listed in order when browsing the album, just not when playing it.

Any help is appreciated.
I really don't have what I think is a sensible solution, but try checking the tags on the files - maybe the track numbers are out of sync?

Cheers, Ian

snarlydwarf
2006-05-24, 20:01
If you play from the Browse Music Folder, it does that: it deliberately ignores tags (you did ask to look at the folder structure..) so filenames matter.

Your ripper -should- number things with leading 0's so that they sort correctly even when looked at in the plain directory order.

What ripper and is there a setting for leading zeros in it?

fingers
2006-05-24, 20:41
ummmm.... this is more than greek to me. The ripper is Easy CD-DA Extractor.

fingers
2006-05-24, 20:42
I really don't have what I think is a sensible solution, but try checking the tags on the files - maybe the track numbers are out of sync?

Cheers, Ian

The track numbers are in sync

ceejay
2006-05-24, 23:48
ummmm.... this is more than greek to me. The ripper is Easy CD-DA Extractor.

First question then - how are you finding the album to be able to play it? Are you

(1) using Browse Music folder to navigate through your directory structure till you find the folder that has the CD in it, then pressing play

or

(2) using Browse album or Browse Artist until you find the album and then pressing play?

It makes a difference! In (1) slimserver is just looking at the file names, so if they are named "1 - trackname", "2 - trackname" etc then you will get exactly the effect you described: as, alphabetically, "11 - trackname" comes before "2 - trackname". The fix is to make sure that whatever program is creating the filenames (sorry, not familiar with the one you mention so can't help you) adds a padding leading zero so you have "01 - trackname" etc.

On the other hand, if you were using method (2) and the tracks are being played in the wrong order, then there might be an issue with the tags, you would need to check them out with your tagging program (sounds like you've already done this).

HTH

Ceejay

fingers
2006-05-25, 07:22
Hey ceejay, I am using method 2, browsing via Artwork to the album and playing. As I mentioned earler, when I browse to the album and open it, all the tracks display in correct order. However, when I tell it to play is when the order is not in sync. I did check the tags and they have the correct numbers associated with each track. Really strange.

My tags are setup as follows: <Album Artist>\<Album>\<Number> - <Title>. Can you please explain what I need to change in order to have a leading 0 in front of the single digit track numbers?

Thanks

ceejay
2006-05-25, 10:28
My tags are setup as follows: <Album Artist>\<Album>\<Number> - <Title>. Can you please explain what I need to change in order to have a leading 0 in front of the single digit track numbers?

Thanks

I'm puzzled by this comment - this sounds like you're describing the file path (directories and file name), not the tags which are stored inside the file. What program, exactly, are you using to read the tags in the files?

Ceejay.

fingers
2006-05-25, 11:51
probably not as puzzled as me ;)

I am pretty much a newbie at all of this. I have confirmed that the ID tags do show 2 digits per track (01, 02, 03 etc). Is there a configuration setting within SlimServer that I can order the tracks by?

ceejay
2006-05-25, 14:19
probably not as puzzled as me ;)

I am pretty much a newbie at all of this. I have confirmed that the ID tags do show 2 digits per track (01, 02, 03 etc). Is there a configuration setting within SlimServer that I can order the tracks by?

No, there is no configuration setting - slimserver will always play tracks in the order of the TRACKNUMBER tag... (1) if it can find and read them in the first place and (2) you are not browsing by music folder.

What format are the files in (MP3? FLAC?) ?

And, again, exactly what are you using to confirm the value of the tags?

If you haven't already, read http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging and also download and install mp3tag from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ... and then use it to look in the tags for this album.

Don't worry, we'll get it sorted eventually!!

Ceejay

fingers
2006-05-25, 17:20
The format is MP3. I am using a program called THE GODFATHER to confirm the tag values. I have tried Mp3Tag before but found that it rescans the music folder each and everytime it is launched which takes a considerable amount of time. It also is much more combersome to use than The Godfather (harder to find the albums). I have just downloaded and installed it again. It also confirms the tag information is correct. I will have a look at the link you posted for the Guide to Tagging.

ceejay
2006-05-25, 23:49
OK, I don't use godfather myself but I know others do. As for that annoying behaviour of mp3tag - its very easy to fix: it remembers the last directory you were looking at when it next starts up, so all you have to do is point it at a single CD directory, say, before you close it down. I rarely use it for the whole music library at a time anyway.

Two things to try:

1 - use a different browse method, in case there is something odd happening with browse by artwork. Browse by album instead and see what happens. You should be able to browse to the album, select "play", and get all the tracks loaded up in the right order.

2 - check that you don't have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in your file - slimserver really doesn't like this. I don't know how you do this in The godfather, but in mp3tag you:
- from the menu, View - Customise columns
- click the star button in the middle of the dialog box to add a "new configuration"
- Enter "Tags" in the Name box and "%_tag%" in the Value box
- OK

If it says "ID3v1 ID3v2" for the files in question then you have two (possibly conflicting) sets of tags. In the tools - Options dialog you will find an option to delete one of them.

HTH

Ceejay

fingers
2006-05-26, 06:03
OK, I don't use godfather myself but I know others do. As for that annoying behaviour of mp3tag - its very easy to fix: it remembers the last directory you were looking at when it next starts up, so all you have to do is point it at a single CD directory, say, before you close it down. I rarely use it for the whole music library at a time anyway.
Ceejay

Not sure what you mean by this as MP3tag doesn't list all the album folders (at least by default). It lists all the .mp3 files total. I don't see what you are describing here or how to change the app so that it displays the album folders as does Godfather and also ID3TagIT3. I just launched MP3Tag again and again it took forever as it scanned the complete library and again listed all the .mp3 files as if they are all in one folder. I also do not see anywhere in the app where it might show both ID3V1 and or ID3V2. But for that matter, I don't see that in the other 3 tag editors as well.

I also downloaded and installed ID3TagIT3. It also shows the track tags correctly.

EZ CD-DA Extractor has the option to ENABLE ID3V1 & ID3V2. Both are enabled by DEFAULT. Which one should I select when ripping?

Here's something new. As the album in question here is an Ambience/Dance compilation I decided to try creating a "Single File Output" & "Create Cue Sheet" so that there are no dead spaces between tracks as all the tracks on this CD go right into the next.

SlimServer sees the single .mp3 file and understands the Cue Sheet and lists all the tracks in the correct order. However, now SlimServer does not display the cover.jpg cover when you browse by Artwork, Artist, Album etc. However, when selected to play it does display the Artwork in the player. I have told SlimServer to rescan for new changes, dump the library and rescan and also have deleted the .sql file and had SlimServer rescan everything. It still does not display the cover.jpg.

ceejay
2006-05-26, 11:02
Not sure what you mean by this as MP3tag doesn't list all the album folders (at least by default). It lists all the .mp3 files total. I don't see what you are describing here or how to change the app so that it displays the album folders as does Godfather and also ID3TagIT3. I just launched MP3Tag again and again it took forever as it scanned the complete library and again listed all the .mp3 files as if they are all in one folder.

No, it doesn't display a folder structure, but it does list all the files it can see in the directory (including subdirectories) you have told it to look at. If that is your music library, then it will list all the files in the library. You point it at a directory by clicking the "change directory" icon (picture of a folder with a green tick on it) and then navigating in the dialog box that pops up.

I also do not see anywhere in the app where it might show both ID3V1 and or ID3V2. But for that matter, I don't see that in the other 3 tag editors as well.

See the detailed instructions in my previous post.

EZ CD-DA Extractor has the option to ENABLE ID3V1 & ID3V2. Both are enabled by DEFAULT. Which one should I select when ripping?

ID3v2 is generally newer, better, and preferred. The only reason I know to use ID3v1 is if you want to play the tracks in a low-tech mp3 player that only reads v1 tags.

I suggest you delete the v1 tags (mp3tag will do this for you) or, if you prefer, re-rip with only v2.

Sorry, can't help with the cue file.

Ceejay

aubuti
2006-05-26, 12:09
2 - check that you don't have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in your file - slimserver really doesn't like this. I don't know how you do this in The godfather, but in mp3tag you:
- click the star button in the middle of the dialog box to add a "new configuration"
- OK

If it says "ID3v1 ID3v2" for the files in question then you have two (possibly conflicting) sets of tags. In the tools - Options dialog you will find an option to delete one of them.

Sorry for jumping in here, but first, thanks ceejay for explaining this tip, which is a big help to me. Second, I don't see how where in the Tools / Options menus I can delete the ID3v1 tags. There are various options for Read, Write, and Remove different kinds of tags, but they don't seem to do anything with my existing tags. Could you please give some more details. This is on MP3tag 2.35. Thanks!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

fingers
2006-05-26, 13:01
Sorry for jumping in here, but first, thanks ceejay for explaining this tip, which is a big help to me. Second, I don't see how where in the Tools / Options menus I can delete the ID3v1 tags. There are various options for Read, Write, and Remove different kinds of tags, but they don't seem to do anything with my existing tags. Could you please give some more details. This is on MP3tag 2.35. Thanks!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I didn't find it either. I re-ripped the album with only the ID3V2 enabled. I checked with some friends who got me interested in Slim Devices about thd ID3v1 and ID3v2 issue (as they also turned me onto the ripper app I use) and they were surprised. They had never heard that SlimServer would have issues with that nor have they experienced any problems.

Any yes... thanks Ceejay for assisting. Now on to figure out why the cover.jpg do not show up.

ceejay
2006-05-26, 15:03
Its not so much that slimserver objects whenever v1 and v2 tags are present (I have quite a few tracks with both), its just that the behaviour may not be what you expect if both tags are present and they contain different information. Some people here before have found this an explanation of unexpected tag behaviour, which is why I mentioned it. There's no guarantee this is fingers' problem, though!

To aswer the mp3tag question: in the options dialog, tags/mp3 section, you tick the box that says "remove ID3v1 tags". OK the dialog. Then select the relevant files and click the "remove tag" button (red X). It will remove the v1 tags !

Fingers - did re-ripping with just v2 tags solve your problem?

Ceejay.

fingers
2006-05-26, 15:19
Fingers - did re-ripping with just v2 tags solve your problem?

Ceejay.

Instead of ripping into seperate .mp3 files this time I ripped it into one. The reason is that the album is a continuous Trance/Dance album where each track melds into the next. This causes them to be played with a dead space inbetween in SlimServer.

The new single file rip also includes a Cue list which then tells SlimServer the tracks. And yes, the Cue list is in order. However, this doesn't explain what was happening before.

aubuti
2006-05-26, 20:22
To aswer the mp3tag question: in the options dialog, tags/mp3 section, you tick the box that says "remove ID3v1 tags". OK the dialog. Then select the relevant files and click the "remove tag" button (red X). It will remove the v1 tags !
Got it. Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-27, 13:55
OAs for that annoying behaviour of mp3tag - its very easy to fix: it remembers the last directory you were looking at when it next starts up, so all you have to do is point it at a single CD directory, say, before you close it down.

Actually you can specify the directory it will load at startup in Tools - Options - General - Favorite directory.

Also you can prevent it opening subfolders in the very top checkbox on that same screen, "Subfolders". Very handy if you have it pointed at your main music directory as your favorite directory, because that can take several minutes to load.

fingers
2006-05-29, 18:13
Is there any new news on this issue? How does one get in touch with SlimDevices support?

aubuti
2006-05-29, 19:13
Is there any new news on this issue? How does one get in touch with SlimDevices support?
Here you go: http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

fingers
2006-05-30, 16:57

Two things to try:

1 - use a different browse method, in case there is something odd happening with browse by artwork. Browse by album instead and see what happens. You should be able to browse to the album, select "play", and get all the tracks loaded up in the right order.

- OK

HTH

Ceejay

I followed your steps and indeed it does show both "ID3v1 ID3v2" for the files in question. However, I am not able to remove the ID3v1 tags.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-30, 17:06
However, I am not able to remove the ID3v1 tags.

Configure Mp3tag in Options. Essentially you want to leave ID3v2 but remove all other types (you may want to keep APEv2 if you use MP3Gain).

Then once you have that configured, press the delete tags button, the red "X".

I'm away from my PC that has Mp3tag on it so I don't know the exact menu entry off the top of my head, but if you look around the Options menu you should see it. Something about "Remove tags".

fingers
2006-05-30, 17:30
Ok... I think I found it and deleted the ID3v1 tags in the particular albums in question. I am re-scanning the libary now and keeping my fingers crossed ;)

fingers
2006-05-31, 16:44
That didn't fix it. Any other ideas would be appreciated.