PDA

View Full Version : Best Concept Album

Mike Meyer
2006-05-23, 17:04
For me it's between Pink Floyd's The Wall, obvious choice, and Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. I've seen The Wall so many times but Operation: Mindcrime also had a video although nothing like the full blown movie for The Wall.

My nod goes to Operation: Mindcrime because I prefer the heavier music. Both are classic though.

Jez
2006-05-23, 17:13
I have never been a fan of Waters when he gets on his high horse, so for me 'Wish You Were Here' is much more enjoyable . . although I'm not sure everyone would agree it's a true concept album.

In a similar vein, I'd like to nominate 'Whirlpool' by Dr Phibes and The House Of Wax Equations . . . one of my touchstones and more of a single amazing piece of psychedelia than a group of individual tracks. Not exactly sure what the 'concept' would be other than taking drugs and rocking out . . . which remindss me to dig out my Spacemen 3 stuff soon . . .

Sorry if this is too much of a digression from the traditional Wakeman-esque idea of concept albums

bernt
2006-05-23, 23:21
I'm not sure City Boy The Day The Earth Caught Fire counts as a concept album, but if it does it's one of the best.

In my opinion it's one of the most underrated albums in "modern" rock history.

Or is The Wall better? Ayreon The universal Migrator part 1&2 is nice, or maybe...

Sigh, can't deside.

smc2911
2006-05-24, 02:52
How about John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme'? As to whether it is an example of a concept album, see wikipedia's two lists (themed and narrative) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concept_albums. It's also hard to go past Ziggy Stardust.

TCM
2006-05-24, 03:38
Well, I guess I'll mention an album I've mentioned before:

Jordan: The Comeback, by Prefab Sprout.

Quoting from wikipedia [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan:_The_Comeback ]

Jordan: The Comeback is to some extent a concept album, though what the concepts are is somewhat opaque. NME described the album as covering "Love, Elvis, God and Death"--all the big topics. All Music Guide described songwriter and lead singer Paddy McAloon as "chas[ing] his twin preoccupations of religion and celebrity, creating a loose thematic canvas perfect for his expanding musical palette".

Skunk
2006-05-24, 04:46
The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi vs. The Pink Robots: A Japanese girl tries to keep evil robots from taking over the world.

Radiohead's OK computer seems to have a similar theme, without the Japanese girl to save us.

jonheal
2006-05-24, 05:11
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

cliveb
2006-05-24, 05:27
Arggghh!!! NOOOOO!!! Please, don't start a "best" thread: it'll never end.

[But while I'm here.... the greatest concept album of all time is, of course, Gong's Radio Gnome trilogy]

mactavish
2006-05-24, 06:13
The Streets "A Grand Don't Come For Free"

it really grow's on you.

Mike Meyer
2006-05-24, 11:46
Or is The Wall better? Ayreon The universal Migrator part 1&2 is nice, or maybe...

That's funny you mentioned Ayreon. I just bought The Human Equation yesterday and I think it's great. I'll have to go get some of the older stuff too. Looks like it's mostly concept albums.

Jez
2006-05-24, 12:11
[But while I'm here.... the greatest concept album of all time is, of course, Gong's Radio Gnome trilogy]

Now you're showing your pothead pixie colours! I was just a bit too late into college to get into Gong but Hillage's Rainbow Dome Musick remains a fave. I think I also saw Daevid Allen a couple of times on Green Field stages at Glastonbury and he was never less than fun.

Wombat
2006-05-24, 17:32
There are several concept albums i like but...
My alltimes most listened album is "Elizium" from "Fields Of The Nephilim" It was produced together with people around the Pink Floyd group.
One of the newer ones is the Progressive Rock masterpiece from "Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory"

Jon
2006-05-24, 19:40
Easy ... "Tales From Topigraphic Oceans" by Yes.

Growing up, it was one of the two 8-tracks I owned; I listened to that 8-track every night while falling asleep, my brain still adds in the "click" of the 8-track changing tracks between album sides.

I now have a squeezebox in my bedroom ... unfortunately, my wife won't let me play "Tales" as bedtime music ... sigh ...

Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", mentioned earlier by another poster, is a close second for me.

k.d. lang's "Drag" is pretty cool too (all the songs have something to do with cigarettes, albeit loosly ... does that count as a "concept"?)

Khuli
2006-05-25, 01:20
As Pink Floyd and Queensr˙che have been mentioned, I'd also add 'Brave' by Marillion and 'Subterranea' by IQ. Both outstanding albums.

Philip Meyer
2006-06-03, 01:20
Tales of Mystery and Imagination by the Alan Parsons Project wins it for me.

TimothyB
2006-06-05, 15:33
I seem to recall a concept album called "Tommy" - but Who did that? :)

Lamb Lies Down on Broad Way Came to mind, and yes, Tales of Mystery and Imagination is super - parts of The Fall of the House of Usher have coming up on random play lately.

How about concept album sides? Then I'd add Rush's 2112, Fountains of Lamneth, and Cygnus X-1 to the list.

Is Animals a concept album? How about Pictures at an Exhibition?

-- T

cliveb
2006-06-06, 04:05
How about concept album sides?
Kate Bush: "The Ninth Wave". The finest piece of work done by the finest female artist of all time.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-06-06, 19:43
I kinda like "Joe's Garage" by Frank Zappa.

snarlydwarf
2006-06-06, 19:52
Okay in line with the Music-Industry-Sucks threads:

The Residents - Third Reich and Roll

tomsi42
2006-06-07, 06:00
I kinda like "Joe's Garage" by Frank Zappa.

Agree. Great album.

Two favourites are Jeff Wayne's "War of the World" and Camel's "The snow goose".

I see that Wikipedia calls Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" as a concept album. Not sure if it is really a concept album. It is a great album, though.

Tom

NWP
2006-06-07, 17:16
any room in this thread for a rap concept album?

Deltron 3030 - In the year 3030, Deltron Zero fights against huge corporations that rule the universe.

Jez
2006-06-07, 21:01
Kate Bush: "The Ninth Wave". The finest piece of work done by the finest female artist of all time.

Yep, I can't work out why this didn't occur to me. I used to have that on heavy rotation a decade ago. I was hoping the second disc of Aerial would live up to that level but it hasn;t had the same impact on me . . yet

Andyoz
2006-06-08, 06:02
I had never listened to Hounds of Love that much and only recently found out what the concept behind "The Ninth Wave" was. Makes much more sense now!

Any Kate Bush fans should check out the rare videos and interviews here (check out the 1979 Kenny Everett clip on page 3):

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=kate+bush&search_type=search_videos&search=Search

Browny
2006-06-14, 03:32
Can't believe we've got to the third page without 'the daddy' of concept albums:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Which reminds me I must get round to digitising my LPs...

tomsi42
2006-06-14, 04:58
Can't believe we've got to the third page without 'the daddy' of concept albums:

The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

It's probably because it is so obvious ;)

MrSinatra
2006-07-08, 10:46
i think the ultimate of all concept albums is of course:

Dark Side of the Moon.

did i miss it earlier in the thread? shocked it wasn't first.

i'd follow that with Sgt.Pepper and then everything else.

beernutz
2007-04-28, 13:38
Quadrophenia.

</end of thread>

gbruzzo
2007-04-28, 13:51
Tales of Mystery and Imagination by the Alan Parsons Project wins it for me.

Yes Yes Yes! Tales of Mystery and Imagination by APP. I second that.

Now, what about

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick and A Passion Play?

also

Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

and

Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin (for those italian prog lovers..)

and

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

and

Roger Waters - Amused To Death

'nough said.

ModelCitizen
2007-04-28, 14:22
Captain Lockhead and The Starfighters - Robert Calvert

... and Viv Stanshall, Eno, Hawkwind etc....

A true gem.

MC

Havoc
2007-04-28, 14:51
Another one for "Tommy". A rather more ancient form is "the wohltemperierte" but then on clavichord.

stinkingpig
2007-04-28, 15:38
Chips from the Chocolate Fireball by The Dukes of Stratosphear (XTC
ducking a restrictive recording contract)
In the Aeroplane over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
The Black Rider by Tom Waits

Twenty years ago I'd have included The Wall and at least a couple of
Genesis albums, but they just haven't been able to stay in my
collection as I transferred from LPs to CDs to MP3s. The Who has never
done it for me.

Extend it from concept albums to "theme" albums and the list gets lots
longer... Almost Blue by Elvis Costello & The Attractions, La Pistola
y El Corazon by Los Lobos, I could go on and on.

On 4/28/07, Havoc <Havoc.2prslo1177797302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Another one for "Tommy". A rather more ancient form is "the
> wohltemperierte" but then on clavichord.
>
>
> --
> Havoc
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Havoc's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5064
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=24154
>
>

peejay
2007-04-28, 18:52
I guess it depends upon the artist's original intent to start out with a concept, and that concept then runs through each and every track in the album.
This is something Alan Parsons did again and again, so just pick your favourite.
Progressive rock albums tend to be more of a rock opera IMHO (some have been mentioned in this thread), with acts 1,2...n, rather than an album with individual tracks (Jethro Tull's thick as a brick, to name one - two massively inspired acts, one act on each side of the original album).
So, what is the concept, and how does it contribute to the vibe of the album? I guess that is open to interpretation. Fagan's Nightfly, followed by Kamakiriad (Thanks Tom!) are other examples, yet the format of the album doesn't necessarily lend itself towards the classification of a concept album, but to support this theory, you can feel the 'concept' of Fagan trying to recapture his youth (maybe) in Nightfly, and then the practical aspects of mid-life coming through on Kamakiriad.

I'm leaving out Pink Floyd's 'The Wall', for the same reasons mentioned in the thread. It is a classic example of not just the concept album, but progressive style and movie soundtrack (as it happens to be as well), all rolled into one. Whew! Top that.

Tommy? Maybe.

Anything in the last 10 years? Let me in on it, please.

stinkingpig
2007-04-28, 22:05
On 4/28/07, peejay <peejay.2ps3pn1177811701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I guess it depends upon the artist's original intent to start out with a
> concept, and that concept then runs through each and every track in the
> album.
> Anything in the last 10 years? Let me in on it, please.

The progressive mantle you seem to be looking for is being bestowed by
the critics upon experimentalists that to me are fairly unlistenable,
such as godspeed! you black emperor and Of Montreal. But the operatic
concept of the progressives is probably best met in my opinion by The
Decemberists, whom I greatly adore... The Crane Wife feels to me like
a modern take on Wind & Wuthering or Trick of the Tail, without the
"hey, look at me playing in 5/7 while the other guy's playing in 3/4!"

I mentioned In the Aeroplane over the Sea before, which is a concept
album based on reaction to studying the Diary of Anne Frank, and I'd
also point to the Eels album Blinking Lights and other Revelations,
which is a midlife crisis concept album.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

alZmtbr
2007-04-29, 04:26
Orquestra Was: only 'cause I just listened to it... even includes a short "movie" illustrating the concept.

How about some of those early RUSH albums?

BigTony
2007-04-29, 10:24
Best concept album..

And the winner ios (as if there could be any other!)

drum roll ....

Thing Fish - Frank Zappa

If you've never heard this (and judging by the sales there is a good chance you haven't) then give it a spin. I suggest wearing headphones and bringing an open mind to the listening session!

And if you find its statistical density to hard to handle, then I suggest you wrap your head around the concept of 3 days of music and love, and put Woodstock on very loud and light up a few Jazz Woodbines.

BT

Kyle
2007-05-01, 13:17
How abuot The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking by Roger Waters?

Zymurgy
2007-05-03, 21:22
Just out "Year Zero" by NIN. Could also be a candidate for music to play in the dark.

hanshanson
2007-05-04, 07:00
That's funny you mentioned Ayreon. I just bought The Human Equation yesterday and I think it's great. I'll have to go get some of the older stuff too. Looks like it's mostly concept albums.

Ayreon is one of my favourite bands.
Orphaned Land from Israel,Thy Majsstie from Italy are another two bands I want to mention. Their albums are very good not only in melodic but in conception as well.

TiredLegs
2007-05-04, 11:25
Quadrophenia.
</end of thread>
I agree, although somehow the thread didn't end.

bephillips
2007-05-04, 23:17
Maybe not the greatest, but I still love listening to the Kinks Present a Soap Opera.

The Starmaker ("Gonna Make You A Star")exchanges places with Norman to get background for his songs.

It's essential for anyone who ever had a job.

jdbaker
2007-05-05, 08:53
Finally, someone mentioned The Kinks, I read this whole thread and I kept thinking "what about The Kinks".
True Concept Albums
Arthur
The Village Green Preservation Society
Preservation Act 1
Preservation Act 2
Soap Opera
School Boys In Disgrace

IMHO Ray Davies is one of the greatest song writers in R&R history, if you have not listened to The Kinks, please do your self a favor and give them a listen. A good place to start is with Face to Face or The Ultimate Collection, a great compilation record. The genius of the songs do not hit you right off the bat, just give them a chance to sink in.

ncpl
2007-05-08, 07:30
I'd vote for Tubeway Army's Replicas. Broadly based on Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep it pre-dates Bladerunner by a couple of years.

Down In the Park (....where the Machmen meet the machines...)
Are 'friends' electric ?
Me, I disconnect from you
I nearly married a human
etc

I don't play it so often, but, when I do it still sounds pretty good for 1979 !!