PDA

View Full Version : Fast-forwarding from Slimserver?

benthos
2006-05-21, 10:11
I haven't searched for this in the forums, and in all likelihood it's already been addressed. But just in case it hasn't..

Why is there no way to fast-forward or rewind in Slimserver a track that is currently playing? For that matter, why doesn't Slimserver list the times for individual tracks? I understand that it's an html interface, and that doesn't really lend itself to keeping track of things real-time, but I'm surprised you can't just say, "fast-forward to midway through the song", by clicking on a scale or something.

Chris

Michaelwagner
2006-05-21, 22:58
Why is there no way to fast-forward or rewind in Slimserver a track that is currently playing?
Why do you think that? I do it all the time. Just hold down the next button on the remote.

ModelCitizen
2006-05-22, 00:00
Why do you think that? I do it all the time. Just hold down the next button on the remote.

Perhaps his remote is downstairs near the hifi? He's wondering why there's not fwd/rwd controls on SlimServer. My guess is it's probably something to do with the non-dynamic nature (due to cross-platform considerations?) of the web interface.

Does anyone know if there have ever been any SlimDevices plans to make a push for a more professional and modern interface? For me, the web interface is one of the worst things about the Squeezebox and I feel it lets down the hardware quite badly... (but as I almost always use use the remote I can live with it).

I know there's Moose, but it is very limited....

MC

stinkingpig
2006-05-22, 06:49

>
> Does anyone know if there have ever been any SlimDevices plans to make
> a push for a more professional and modern interface? For me, the web
> interface is one of the worst things about the Squeezebox and I feel it
> lets down the hardware quite badly... (but as I almost always use use
> the remote I can live with it).

There's a lot of discussion about improvements in 6.5, particularly the
Nokia770 skin and a move to CSS throughout.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

bklaas
2006-05-22, 08:13

>
> Does anyone know if there have ever been any SlimDevices plans to make
> a push for a more professional and modern interface? For me, the web
> interface is one of the worst things about the Squeezebox and I feel it
> lets down the hardware quite badly... (but as I almost always use use
> the remote I can live with it).

There's a lot of discussion about improvements in 6.5, particularly the
Nokia770 skin and a move to CSS throughout.

to expand on the Nokia770 skin, which I'm developing--

The skin, which is being introduced in 6.5, uses lots of AJAX to make the UI more like a stateful application and less like a click-and-wait traditional browser app. While I developed this for the Nokia 770 internet tablet, it works wonderfully in Firefox or Opera on a PC (in fact, quite a bit nicer than on the 770 itself).

If you find the Slim UI to be lacking, I'd really recommend you give the latest 6.5 and Nokia770 a try and see what you think. It's not perfect (yet), but it's an improvement. I'm also hoping someone takes the ball and develops other skins in this way--AJAX really opens the door to enhance the usability of the UI. I'm not sure what he's doing with it, but KDF has been building AJAX support into parts of the Fishbone skin as well.

The "please build a better GUI interface" thing comes up a ton in the slim forums. Once you consider all of the OS's Slim has (thankfully) decided to support, this is not a simple issue. The browser has always promised to be the common GUI ground between OS's, but the traditional 'click, wait, full page refresh' CGI model doesn't work well for an app that needs a really immediate response--an app like Slimserver. That's where AJAX can help, in that the user request gets fired off to the server in the background and returns interface control to the user immediately.

As for the ff/rew thing, I actually removed that functionality from the skin because I didn't think it was useful (sorry). But slimserver *can* do it from the UI.

cheers,
#!/ben

ModelCitizen
2006-05-22, 10:57
The skin, which is being introduced in 6.5, uses lots of AJAX to make the UI more like a stateful application and less like a click-and-wait traditional browser app.

Thanks for this Ben
Yes, a stateful aplication is what is required. I hadn't realised that 6.5 was attempting to address the state of the GUI. If I depended on the GUI, rather than the remote I would try it, but I'd rather not as my set up is stable at the moment (apart from a rescanning of playlists problem) and I'd rather not jeopordise that.
I'd better got off to look at this Ajax stuff then....
Cheers
MC

ShorinSean
2006-06-20, 07:09
FWIW,

I find I'm almost exclusively controlling the Slimserver from my old Dell X5 PDA on my wireless network. Thought it has warts, the browser-based UI with album art beats the pants off the little remote with its unfriendly ergonomics (especially if you have over-40 eyes). I've tried the other remote interface - forget the name - but found it lacking. I'll definitely look into the improvements you mention.

I come from an Audiotron background. It has a built-in Web browser, and the UI provided the means to fast-forward or rewind a selectable amount. This worked well enough for me.

I strongly support the FF / REW functionality; it may be okay to simply start a 3 minute song over again, but if you're a Wagner opera, those movements are pretty dang long to repeat.

- Sean