PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox for Sale, Hard Drive Question

aarongarrett
2006-05-21, 08:35
I have a new wireless SB3 for sale, used for a week. Perfect shape.
$250 if anyone is interested, including shipping. I'm just selling it
because I got another one, modified by Red Wine and I now really only
need one.

I also have a question. Has anyone found a particularly quiet hard
drive to use for audiophile purposes?

Thanks,

Aaron

Feel free to email me at garretnecessary (AT) gmail (DOT) com

davidcotton
2006-05-21, 10:28
You could try the samsung ones, they are meant to be quiet!

bjs
2006-05-21, 13:54
Is it black or white?

Michaelwagner
2006-05-21, 22:41
And where is it?

Wirrunna
2006-05-21, 23:26
I also have a question. Has anyone found a particularly quiet hard
drive to use for audiophile purposes?

Have a look here http://www.silentpcreview.com/section5.html

radish
2006-05-22, 11:11
Seagate IDE drives are amazingly quiet, but the SATA models are (annoyingly) louder. The Samsung SpinPoint have a good reputation for being silent but the only one I've bought is very loud, so I guess it must vary from model to model. Read up carefully on silentpcreview.com.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-25, 06:59
Seagate IDE drives are amazingly quiet, but the SATA models are (annoyingly) louder. The Samsung SpinPoint have a good reputation for being silent but the only one I've bought is very loud, so I guess it must vary from model to model. Read up carefully on silentpcreview.com.

I have both. They are both 250 GB IDE versions, both used for storing music. The Samsung SpinPoint P is the primary music drive, the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 is mounted in an external enclosure and used as a mirrored backup for the Samsung.

The Samsung is unbelievably quiet. I find the Seagate noisier, but that could be because it's in an external enclosure which resonates on my desk. I hear an almost imperceptible seek noise from the Samsung but there's a definite idle whirr/whine from the Seagate as well as a very noticeable seek noise.

Both are very quiet compared to the older 40 GB Western Digital that was doing this job before. That one was noisier than my two Western Digital 36 GB Raptors operating simultaneously (RAID 0).

radish
2006-05-25, 07:33
Yeah, I must have a duff Samsung. I have probably 4 or 5 IDE Barracuda's and they're all nice and quiet, but the identical model in SATA form is much louder (this has been confirmed by others).