PDA

View Full Version : Re: Got my Squeezebox (and some FLAC issues...)



Jason Holtzapple
2003-12-16, 07:35
--- Erik Reckase <cerebus (AT) electricrain (DOT) com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:29:23AM -0500, Caleb Epstein wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:59:03PM -0800, Dan Sully wrote:
> >
> > > I just checked in some FLAC updates today, some of which address
> >
> > Seem to improve the situation, but there are 2 spurious
> > warning messages (I've also installed your Audio/FLAC.pm in my
> > /usr/local/lib/site_perl which explains the path):
> >
> > Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl/Audio/FLAC.pm line 450.
> > Can't find vorbis comment metadata block! at
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl/Audio/FLAC.pm line 79.
> >
> > A patch below eliminates both warnings.
> >
> Do you really want to get rid of the second warning? That *does* mean that
> there's a
> missing Vorbis comment metadata block, so doesn't it make sense that the user
> is
> warned in that event? I've never run into a FLAC file without one, as the
> VENDOR tag
> is stored in the comment tag, regardless of the presence of any other tags,
> IIRC.
>
> If it would be more helpful to have the filename reported with the warning,
> I'll be
> happy to make that modification - but I don't think we should take the
> warning out.

If I recall, the comment block was added in flac 1.1 - if that's the case then
flac < 1.1 files without the block should not cause an error or warning.

--Jason

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
New Yahoo! Photos - easier uploading and sharing.
http://photos.yahoo.com/

kdf
2003-12-16, 09:38
Quoting Jason Holtzapple <jasonholtzapple (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:

> --- Erik Reckase <cerebus (AT) electricrain (DOT) com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:29:23AM -0500, Caleb Epstein wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:59:03PM -0800, Dan Sully wrote:
> > >
> > > > I just checked in some FLAC updates today, some of which address
> > >
> > > Seem to improve the situation, but there are 2 spurious
> > > warning messages (I've also installed your Audio/FLAC.pm in my
> > > /usr/local/lib/site_perl which explains the path):
> > >
> > > Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at
> > /usr/local/lib/site_perl/Audio/FLAC.pm line 450.
> > > Can't find vorbis comment metadata block! at
> > /usr/local/lib/site_perl/Audio/FLAC.pm line 79.
> > >
> > > A patch below eliminates both warnings.
> > >
> > Do you really want to get rid of the second warning? That *does* mean
> that
> > there's a
> > missing Vorbis comment metadata block, so doesn't it make sense that the
> user
> > is
> > warned in that event? I've never run into a FLAC file without one, as the
> > VENDOR tag
> > is stored in the comment tag, regardless of the presence of any other
> tags,
> > IIRC.
> >
> > If it would be more helpful to have the filename reported with the
> warning,
> > I'll be
> > happy to make that modification - but I don't think we should take the
> > warning out.
>
> If I recall, the comment block was added in flac 1.1 - if that's the case
> then
> flac < 1.1 files without the block should not cause an error or warning.
>
perhaps it should be a $$::d_source && msg, in case there does come a need to be
looking for it.
-kdf

Erik Reckase
2003-12-16, 10:06
>
> perhaps it should be a $$::d_source && msg, in case there does come a need to be
> looking for it.
> -kdf

Well, this is a CPAN module, so our own debugs shouldn't be put in there.

kdf
2003-12-16, 10:09
Quoting Erik Reckase <cerebus (AT) electricrain (DOT) com>:

> >
> > perhaps it should be a $$::d_source && msg, in case there does come a need
> to be
> > looking for it.
> > -kdf
>
> Well, this is a CPAN module, so our own debugs shouldn't be put in there.

oh yes, of course :)