PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver not working and then I'm obliged to run scandisk

Mathiou
2006-05-17, 01:07
Hello,
I have slimserver installed on an Epia800 motherboard running Windows 2000 sp4. The only software running are slimserver, winamp, opera and Kerio firewall.

It is the third time that, when I power up my computer, slimserver does not work and windows says that I should use scandisk because some files are corrupted. I cannot run it under windows because it says that the drive is locked so scandisk runs on next start.
Then, scandisk fixes a lot of indexes and orphan files (pictures for slimserver html pages).
After that, I'm still not able to run slimserver. I must uninstall it and reinstall.

My first problem is that I cannot know if this is a problem coming from the harddisk or from slimserver ?

I have tested the HDD on another computer with UBCD and it didn't find anything special on it but ...

mherger
2006-05-17, 01:21
> My first problem is that I cannot know if this is a problem coming from
> the harddisk or from slimserver ?

The disk. While slimserver does write files, it uses standard methods as
other applications, too, and will not damage the file system.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mathiou
2006-05-17, 01:31
Damned !

I think I'm going to backup the music before running deep tests on the HDD

Mathiou
2006-05-31, 01:02
I have made some tests and it appears that my motherobard (Epia 800) has an old IDE controller that does not support 48 bit LBA mode. So the HDD limit is 137 Gb, but 160 Gb appears under windows.

I guess my problems came when I tried to write on the disk after this limit.

Is there a chance to override this 137 GB limit by software and to have the full capacity working correctly ? Under linux and/or under windows ?

Thank you

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-31, 05:29
Is there a chance to override this 137 GB limit by software and to have the full capacity working correctly ? Under linux and/or under windows ?

48-bit LBA must be supported both in the BIOS and the OS. So look for a BIOS update first.

cliveb
2006-05-31, 07:22
48-bit LBA must be supported both in the BIOS and the OS. So look for a BIOS update first.
I've got an EPIA-5000, which is the 533MHz fanless version of the EPIA-800. I know for sure that there is not a BIOS upgrade to support 48 bit LBA for it, so would guess that you'll also be out of luck. VIA seem to have forgotten about the original mini-ITX boards; I've seen no BIOS or driver updates for them for years.

If you don't have a card in the PCI slot, you could consider installing a separate IDE controller - they only cost about 20 quid.

Mathiou
2006-05-31, 10:25
VIA seem to have forgotten about the original mini-ITX boards; I've seen no BIOS or driver updates for them for years
You're right, there is no update in the bios and drivers since 2002-2003.

If you don't have a card in the PCI slot, you could consider installing a separate IDE controller - they only cost about 20 quid.

I have considered to use a PCI card as a controler but then I loose my USB2/firewire PCI card because only one PCI card can fit in my box (hoojum cubit 3).

Just to be 100% sure, can anyone confirm to me that there is a risk to loose data if I try to write after the 137Gb limit ?
(because under Win2000, the disk appears with its full capacity so, in a first impression, it could be possible to fill the HDD completely!)