PDA

View Full Version : Missing Disc # in 6.5

Craig
2006-05-17, 00:03
I just noticed that the track ordering on double albums is messed up. Viewing a track shows that the disc # is not being picked up in 6.5 but it is in 6.2.

This is with flacs and the tags appear to be ok.

Craig

windowshade
2006-05-17, 18:10
I don't have that problem using 'DISCNUMBER'.

SlimServer Version: 6.5b1 - 7422 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Craig
2006-05-18, 09:27
I've always used DISCNUMBER = 1 of 2 and it's worked ok, I've just changed some DISCNUMBER tags to just 1 or 2 and they were picked up as disc # but disc 2 was sorted first !!

The same files are being read fine in 6.2.2 so something has changed somewhere.

Craig

windowshade
2006-05-18, 09:38
Strange. I just use 'DISCNUMBER = 1' etc., but disc 1 gets displayed first.

Could this be related to your switch from 6.2 to 6.5? (I think that can make things glitchy--sometimes you have to wipe & rescan or just delete the database outright & rescan. Ugly, I know.)

Craig
2006-05-18, 10:24
I have parallel installations of 6.2 and 6.5 so I can switch between them whenever I like,

I've never had success with DISCNUMBER = 1 though, that's why I took the X of Y approach and it's worked well untill recently.

Craig

JJZolx
2006-05-18, 10:48
I have parallel installations of 6.2 and 6.5 so I can switch between them whenever I like,

I've never had success with DISCNUMBER = 1 though, that's why I took the X of Y approach and it's worked well untill recently.
It works as expected for me in 6.5.

Is it only the "X of Y" albums that are being sorted incorrectly, or is it all multi-disc sets? I wouldn't be amazed if the "X of Y" entries broke something. It's going to be very dependant on how SlimServer decides to parse that, and I wouldn't be surprised if the parsing has changed. I've seen other people use "X/Y" and similar style entries. Putting anything other than a number into a tag where a number is expected is a gamble.

I use

DISC=1
DISCC=2

DISC=2
DISCC=2

I believe it been said that the DISCC (or DISCCOUNT) is ignored by SlimServer.

Craig
2006-05-18, 11:29
All my multiple albums are tagged as DISCNUMBER 1 of 2 etc and the tag just isn't showing up anymore.

I'll change a couple to use DISC as you said and see how it goes.

Craig

Craig
2006-05-18, 11:49
I changed Aerosmith's A Little south of Sanity to use DISC = 1 or 2 and also tried chaging TRACKNUMBER to TRACK.

The Disc and track numbers are showing up ok in the track info but this is how it is being sorted

Walk on Down
Hole in My Soul
Crazy
Monkey on My Back
Livin' on the Edge
Mama Kin
Cryin'
Walk This Way
Dude (Looks Like a Lady
Rag Doll
Angel
What It Takes
Janie's Got a Gun
Sweet Emotion
Amazing
Eat the Rich
Love in an Elevator
Falling in Love Is Hard on the Knees
Same Old Song and Dance
Back in the
Last Child
The Other Side

This is the correct order

Eat The Rich
Love In An Elevator
Falling In Love (Is Hard On The Knees)
Same Old Song And Dance
Hole In My Soul
Monkey On My Back
Livin' On The Edge
Cryin'
Rag Doll
Angel
Janie's Got A Gun
Amazing

Back In The Saddle
Last Child
The Other Side
Walk On Down
Dream On
Crazy
Mama Kin
Walk This Way
Dude (Looks Like A Lady)
What It Takes
Sweet Emotion

Craig

JJZolx
2006-05-18, 12:00
I changed Aerosmith's A Little south of Sanity to use DISC = 1 or 2 and also tried chaging TRACKNUMBER to TRACK.

The Disc and track numbers are showing up ok in the track info but this is how it is being sorted
I guess maybe we should have asked if disc and track numbers appeared to be correct in the track info. If so, fiddling with tags is probably be a waste of time. It it's already correct, there's nothing to fix in the tags.

Try a reinstall of 6.5?

Craig
2006-05-18, 12:07
I guess maybe we should have asked if disc and track numbers appeared to be correct in the track info. If so, fiddling with tags is probably be a waste of time. It it's already correct, there's nothing to fix in the tags.

Try a reinstall of 6.5?

Good Point I'll try that but DISCNUMBER 1 of 2 did show up in track info until a few days ago.

So what is the standard? if there is one?

TRACKNUMBER 1 -> whatever
DISC 1
DISC 2
DISC 3

Craig

JJZolx
2006-05-18, 12:46
Good Point I'll try that but DISCNUMBER 1 of 2 did show up in track info until a few days ago.

So what is the standard? if there is one?

TRACKNUMBER 1 -> whatever
DISC 1
DISC 2
DISC 3
TRACKNUMBER is correct for track number. But I'm not sure which is more accepted, DISC or DISCNUMBER, for disc number. Either should work in SlimServer, though.

I think this is about as "official" as such things get, and disc number isn't mentioned:

http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Here's a proposed standard which suggests DISCNUMBER:

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tagging.html

Here's a discussion at HydrogenAudio. Conclusion is that there is no standard.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=31872&st=0&p=277229

Craig
2006-05-18, 12:57
Well after a new nightly and deleting the db, my Aerosmith album is tagged with TRACKNUMBER 1 and DISCNUMBER 1 etc

Both show correctly in the track info but the album appears to be being lasted alphabetically. Then everytime I refresh and view the album again - the first track has moved to the end and all the others have moved up one!!!!!!

Craig

Philip Meyer
2006-05-18, 14:43
I went through the same issues a few weeks ago with disk numbers not working correctly for a multi-disk compilation album (FLAC). I think I was using DISCNUMBER="1/2", but I should have been using DISC=1. I believe DISCNUMBER only works for mp3 (ID3 tags, not ogg), whereas DISC is always okay.

There is a wiki page that should describe all of the tags that slimserver interprets for each music format. I believe the information was wrong for FLAC - I asked Dan if he could update it (because I wasn't sure exactly what tags were supported for each format type), but I'm not sure if he did that (I forgive him if he hasn't, as he probably had more important things to do, like getting married!).

Phil

JJZolx
2006-05-18, 15:27
I went through the same issues a few weeks ago with disk numbers not working correctly for a multi-disk compilation album (FLAC). I think I was using DISCNUMBER="1/2", but I should have been using DISC=1. I believe DISCNUMBER only works for mp3 (ID3 tags, not ogg), whereas DISC is always okay.

There is a wiki page that should describe all of the tags that slimserver interprets for each music format. I believe the information was wrong for FLAC - I asked Dan if he could update it (because I wasn't sure exactly what tags were supported for each format type), but I'm not sure if he did that (I forgive him if he hasn't, as he probably had more important things to do, like getting married!).
DISC and DISCNUMBER should both work, according to Dan in an earlier thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17026#post57276

I would think the data formatted as "1 of 2" or "1/2" might be the cause of problems, although I've never tested it.

MrC
2006-05-18, 15:36
The FLAC tag readers are essentially the same for 6.3 and 6.5. DISCNUMBER is changed into the internally used DISC keyword. DISCNUMBER works fine.

Philip Meyer
2006-05-19, 00:44
>I would think the data formatted as "1 of 2" or "1/2" might be the
>cause of problems, although I've never tested it.

Ah yes, that is what he said. DISC/DISCNUMBER both always work, but the "01/02" format only works for TPA/TPOS ID3.

The discussion I was recalling was 3338, comment number 5.

It is because it doesn't support the "01/02" format that I thought DISC/DISCC should be used for flac, because there is no equivalent "disk count" tag to match DISCNUMBER.

Phil

Craig
2006-05-19, 05:08
I can easily change all my tags using JR Media Centre but my backup drive has failed just before my hols so I don't want to be doing anything major to them at the moment.

Hopefully when I get back, MrC's patch will have been committed so I can just use the default MC tags.

Thanks for the help guys.

Craig