PDA

View Full Version : Sb2?

gutted
2006-05-16, 03:39
I like the shape of the SB1 and SB2 - but SB1 lacks native FLAC decode and wireless G speeds. I'd really like to keep the look of the SB1, but with additional native FLAC decoding and improved wireless...

Can't find SB2 for sale anywhere - can I still get them from Slim Devices? Or do I have to go for a 2nd hand one?

Nothing against the SB3 as such, just kind of prefer the style of SB1/2. But if I went for SB3, what other enhancements (other than wireless G and FLAC decode) would I get with SB3?

ceejay
2006-05-16, 04:27
Sounds like you need an SB2 ... eBay is your best bet. No real differences between an SB2 and an SB3 except the cosmetic ones.

Ceejay

gutted
2006-05-16, 05:13
Thanks ceejay. I've been keeping my eye on eBay, but nothing turned up yet. (In fairness, though, I've only been looking for a couple of days so far). Lots of SB3, though - like I said - I actually prefer the old-style look of the SB.

Fair enough then - will keep my eyes peeled and see what I can find.

Thanks again.

aubuti
2006-05-16, 06:33
SB2s come up every so often, so it's worth monitoring. It's interesting that they're much less common than SB1s and SB3s, but that probably has a lot to do with them having the same guts as the SB3: there's little motivation to sell the SB2 to buy an SB3.

Don't expect a big discount for getting the "old" model. Wireless SB2s have generally sold on eBay for US$200-250 over the past few months. A couple weeks ago one went for US$220, and another sold via "Buy it now" for 160GBP, or about $300!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Squeezebox-by-Slimdevices-wireless-version_W0QQitemZ9718218835QQcategoryZ88760QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Slim-Devices-Squeezebox-V2-Wireless-Music-Player_W0QQitemZ9720662330QQcategoryZ81741QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gutted
2006-05-16, 07:41
Excellent - thanks again. I'll keep monitoring every couple of days, in that case.

Couple of questions though...

I'm UK-based... Can I simply use my existing SB1 power supply for a non-UK SB2?

Also - it SB2 *definitely* wireless G (not B)?

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-16, 08:13
Also - it SB2 *definitely* wireless G (not B)?

Yes, definitely.

aubuti
2006-05-16, 08:33
I'm UK-based... Can I simply use my existing SB1 power supply for a non-UK SB2?

Yes, they are the same. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison . And if you'd rather not simply turn the SB1 into a paperweight (e.g., use in another room or sell it on eBay) you can order a power supply directly from Slim Devices (https://secure.slimdevices.com/order/upgrades.cgi )

BTW, besides the native flac decoding and the 11g wireless, another big plus of the SB2/SB3 is SqueezeNetwork, even without Pandora.

gutted
2006-05-16, 08:59
Once again, thanks to both of you.

Next step is to find an SB2 on eBay :P

Cheers!

ModelCitizen
2006-05-16, 10:22
Excellent - thanks again. I'll keep monitoring every couple of days, in that case.
You could set up an eBay favourite saved search thingy and it'll monitor it on an ongoing basis and email you when one turns up.

You prefer the look of the SB1/2 to the SB3? I'd love to see the inside of your residence.
MC

gutted
2006-05-17, 01:23
You prefer the look of the SB1/2 to the SB3? I'd love to see the inside of your residence.
MC

LOL! :D

It's just that I have the perfect place for the SB right now - it's kind of perched atop a CD storage tower. I reckon that an SB3 would be a bit precarious up there, and wouldn't quite look right.

"Why not just put it somewhere else?" you say... True, except that our place is unfeasibly small and there genuinely isn't a lot of space to put stuff. Finding a new niche for an SB3 would involve some sort of serious re-arrangement of the lounge. It'd be easier for me to just find an SB2! :P

gutted
2006-05-18, 03:55
Having seen an SB3 in "real life" for first time last night (round a friend's house, the same friend who introduced me to slimp3 and SB all those years ago ;) I'm totally going to get an SB3 now :)

I was basing my opinion on the pics I've seen of SB3 on websites and stuff. Gotta say, though, that the pics don't do them justice - they really are a whole lot smother than I had envisaged!

Slim Devices - get some more pics of the SB3 up for marketting purposes! Had I not seen an SB3 in the flesh, I still wouldn't be up for buying one!