PDA

View Full Version : Nokia770 skin on the latest SS6.5b1

ehjones
2006-05-13, 15:35
Hi,
I've just upgraded to the latest slimserver 6.5b1 on debian sarge and seem to have found a problem with the Nokia770 skin (2 screenshots should find themselves attached). It only seems to be a problem in Opera on the 770, it looks fine in firefox. Previous to the upgrade it was fine. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Ed

Edit: With hindsight I realise I should have posted this in the beta forum, sorry!

bklaas
2006-05-13, 17:00
This morning I put in a bunch of CSS fixes relating to the issues you are seeing in those screenshots. I think they are resolved, as I did a bunch of browsing with the 770 today and everything looks good. Let me know how it goes for you on tomorrow's daily build.

cheers,
#!/ben

mherger
2006-05-13, 22:37
> I've just upgraded to the latest slimserver 6.5b1 on debian sarge and
> seem to have found a problem with the Nokia770 skin (2 screenshots
> should find themselves attached). It only seems to be a problem in
> Opera on the 770, it looks fine in firefox.

Don't forget to clear the cache: as Ben states CSS files have been
changed. If Opera is still using the previous versions held in cache,
you're in trouble.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

ehjones
2006-05-14, 01:34
Thank you, the problem is resolved now. I think the files were cached as Michael suggested (I'm experimenting with running squid web cache to help general browsing with the 770, I'm still getting to grips with it!).

Thank you for a great skin.

Ed

bklaas
2006-05-15, 08:54
Ed-- I'll be very interested to hear how your work with the proxy goes. This would be a novel way of addressing the issue of slow image loading, which has been mentioned several times on the Nokia770 thread.

My past experience with squid is that it can be somewhat processor intensive (which would be a huge issue on the 770), but locally storing cached images would likely increase the 770-slimserver user experience.

as an alternative, I'd also be interested if there was a way with the 770's Opera to configure a cache to store things on the RS-MMC. Maybe it already does this and I just need to get a bigger RS-MMC card...

cheers and good luck,
#!/ben

ehjones
2006-05-15, 13:18
Hmmm, I think we've got our wires crossed. I'm merely running squid on the household server. The 770 browser still needs to download the files from the server over wifi, it just doesn't need to use the internet link to get the same files repetitively. This offers a small increase in performance but it's not outstanding! It makes no difference to accessing the web interface of slimserver unfortunately.

However, I think getting squid to run on the 770 itself would be a work of genius! Have to say it didn't occur to me and is rather beyond me. It could probably do with some specific optimisation before compiling for the 770... Hmmm, perhaps I should experiment with the maemo sdk... ;-]

With regards to the slimserver 770 skin, locally storing the images as mentioned on the 'main' thread seems a very good idea. It may be possible to package the files as a .deb that can be downloaded from the server and installed with the 770's 'Application installer'.
/edit/ I've just read your reply to the above suggestion made by bronnie - point taken!

Kind regards,
Ed

bklaas
2006-05-15, 13:25
ah, gotcha. Yeah, I could see you may get small improvements on 770 internet browsing using squid on your server, although I think probably most of the 770 speed bottlenecks (e.g., questionable wifi efficiency) aren't going to get fixed with that approach.

my 2 cents--I think the Opera caching approach would be Occam's Razor to this, if it's possible. Big RS-MMC card, Opera configured to cache images to it and load locally if cached. Simple, quick, easy. I'd much rather have it work that way than build a .deb to do some quirky proxying.

#!/ben

fuzzyT
2006-05-15, 13:48
bklaas wrote:

> my 2 cents--I think the Opera caching approach would be Occam's Razor
> to this, if it's possible. Big RS-MMC card, Opera configured to cache
> images to it and load locally if cached.

might be able to optimize this approach with an automated cache loader
web page. say, load up page a piece of album art, with some js to
reload to the next and so on. if the 770 could be tricked into staying
awake this could be run while it was sitting and charging. pick it
first thing next AM with a full load of art in it's cache.

or to be more brute force: transfer art to RS-MMC over USB and set a
pref to direct the 770 skin to route img paths locally. it'd fall out
of sync over time, but the browser wouldn't be able to flush it for
other web bits.

--rt

GoCubs
2006-05-16, 07:37
I believe the new OS upgrade coming for the 770 supports virtual memory on the memory card... hopefully Opera will take advantage of this and speed up reloads...

-Greg

bklaas
2006-05-16, 07:48
I would guess that it certainly *should*. I think what I run into most often is that Opera isn't caching well because it has no space to put things. We'll see. If VM on the RS-MMC is an enhancement of the new 2006 software, I'm going to buy me a big fat 1GB one...

FWIW, I think there will also be a new Opera on the software update...

cheers,
#!/ben

GoCubs
2006-05-16, 10:33
I would guess that it certainly *should*. I think what I run into most often is that Opera isn't caching well because it has no space to put things. We'll see. If VM on the RS-MMC is an enhancement of the new 2006 software, I'm going to buy me a big fat 1GB one...

FWIW, I think there will also be a new Opera on the software update...

From the OS 2006 feature page it states:
Option for extended virtual memory (RS-MMC up to 1 GB)

I rushed and bought a 1GB one a while back to see it didn't provide me much use as I couldn't install apps or swap vm to it. I'm sure they're cheaper now.... argh!

-Greg