PDA

View Full Version : Where is the "complete" solution?!

merlin_x
2006-05-13, 01:57
Hi there,

I am desperatly searching for a solution that offers music without going to much into tech. The SimBox is a good first move, but where is the integrated solution? If I do want to listen to my music I would have to have my laptop running all the time or to bring another black box server into my live and home. Neither of those solutions is acceptable.
Where is the slim devices unit which features a slot in hard drive, a USB2 port, or firewire port for an external harddrive? Why do we have to go through installing servers to listen to our music. We are consumers not tech support. Sorry for this "harsh" words, but I believe that slim devices has starting something great but until now its only for the tech guy in us. Despite the fact, that I am a web professional and do have enough knowledge to get such a system running, I just do not want this. Reason is, that in my free time I would rather not like to continue working at home, bring the servers back into my flat and worry about administrating another computer.

So please Slim Devices bring something up like this, before Apple for example does it!

Best regards,

Merlin

nelamvr6
2006-05-13, 08:19
There are solutions that are similar to what you describe already available. I don't want one because they lack the flexibility I have with the SlimServer/Squeezebox paradigm.

NWP
2006-05-13, 09:34
Slimserver is a major part of what makes this system great and it only takes a few minutes to install. Having it run on a computer only makes it easier to upgrade in the future as new releases come out.

What defines a computer to you? The only reason people are able to install slimserver on some of these external network hard drive units are because those units are technically little computers. You want a little router type box? Those are technically little computers too.

The fact that you have it installed on your laptop is probably why you are frustrated. Do yourself a favor and go over to retrobox.com and buy a used Dell Optiflex with a pentium IV and 500 megs of ram for under $200. Install UltraVNC on it and once you get it set up you won't need a monitor and can stick it in a closet and forget about it.

funkstar
2006-05-13, 09:34
You could use a NAS appliance that runs Slimserver. There are a few that now support this officially (Infrant ReadyNAS ans Qnap TS-101 and TS-401) and many that can be hacked to run Slimserver (Synology Diskstation, Buffalo Terrastation, Linksys thingamebob, Lacie Whatsit, etc.). There are many threads all over these forums with information on them.

I haven't been that interested in the others, but the Qnap device itself is silent. The only noise is the hard drive itself.

If you are only going to have a squeezebox in one location, then there might actually be better products out there that fit your listening habits. but if you want music all round your home, with clients playing different streams or synced to one another, then Squeezeboxes and Slimserver are perfect for that.

A squeezebox itself has no control over the music, or indeed the information displayed on the screen. All it does it send the remote signals to the server, display what the server tells it and decodes/stream the audio it is given out the digital and analog ports. So there is a lot that would need to change in the Squeezebox to make a dedicated single box solution.

Going by the name of the company Slimdevices, i doubt this is the path they would be likely to go down :)

Fifer
2006-05-13, 10:34
Going by the name of the company Slimdevices, i doubt this is the path they would be likely to go down :)
funkstar beat me to it. The clue is in the name. Squeezebox is a slim client and the most of the activity happens at the server end. This is the optimum solution for a distributed music system as there is little point in duplicating the facilities the OP listed in every room. The Qnap TS-101 does everything requested and you can run lots of Squeezeboxen on it for a very slick system.

JJZolx
2006-05-13, 16:13
I am desperatly searching for a solution that offers music without going to much into tech.
Look elsewhere. Maybe something like: http://www.olive.us/

JazzHarper
2006-05-13, 16:40
This poll is a set of false choices. I am at a loss for
which radiobutton to select:

* No, I am not wating desperatly [sic] for such a product.
If I were waiting for such a product, I would not have
two Squeezeboxes in my home.

* No, I don't go with the "tech solution" so that I can be in control.
I simply use the solution that Slim Devices has provided.
I don't modify the SlimServer at all. I could, but I don't.

* No, I do care.

* No, I am not wating [sic] for Apple to do anything. See 1.

I do think you have a point; there is a need for a solution
that is easier to manage. Whether there is a serviceable (and
profitable) market for such a solution is another question.
But, by framing the question in terms of such a prejudiced
poll, you will not get the response that you desire and the
need for a more integrated solution will not be demonstrated.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-05-13, 18:01
Merlin_x, maybe you should just stick to CDs or get an iPod. Any so-called "integrated" solution would really just be an expensive computer, and you don't want that.

Actually, an iPod is a computer, which needs a 2nd computer to run iTunes, so that's too complex also.

Maybe you should just buy a radio. A tuning knob, a volume control, and you won't have to think too hard.

dean
2006-05-13, 19:22
On May 13, 2006, at 4:13 PM, JJZolx wrote:
> merlin_x Wrote:
>> I am desperatly searching for a solution that offers music without
>> going
>> to much into tech.
> Look elsewhere. Maybe something like: http://www.olive.us/

Now, now, JJZolx... :)

The easiest thing to get started is to take an inexpensive computer
running iTunes (or your favorite music ripping app). Dell Windows
PCs are remarkably cheap and easy to get going.

Rip your music.

Install SlimServer.

Stick it in a closet, connected to a wireless access point.

Hook up a Squeezebox at your stereo.

Enjoy.

Soon you'll realize that you NEED this in the other rooms around the
house, then order another Squeezebox for the kitchen or the bedroom.

Kevin O. Lepard
2006-05-13, 19:35
>On May 13, 2006, at 4:13 PM, JJZolx wrote:
>>merlin_x Wrote:
>>>I am desperatly searching for a solution that offers music without going
>>>to much into tech.
>>Look elsewhere. Maybe something like: http://www.olive.us/
>
>Now, now, JJZolx... :)
>
>The easiest thing to get started is to take an inexpensive computer
>running iTunes (or your favorite music ripping app). Dell Windows
>PCs are remarkably cheap and easy to get going.
>
>Rip your music.
>
>Install SlimServer.
>
>Stick it in a closet, connected to a wireless access point.

But if you're running Windows, don't connect it to the internet.
That way you'll stay junkware free.

>
>Hook up a Squeezebox at your stereo.
>
>Enjoy.
>
>Soon you'll realize that you NEED this in the other rooms around the
>house, then order another Squeezebox for the kitchen or the bedroom.

--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

Michaelwagner
2006-05-13, 19:43
I think, despite the odd spelling mistake and especially despite the ribbing he's getting, the OP has a point (that's been made several times here before).

There are some people who would like to buy, from Slim or a closely affiliated company, a box of roughly the same size and cost as a squeezebox that ran Slimserver.

If it came with a 40GB 2.5" hard disk it could fit the size criterion. It would have enough space for slimserver, perl and maybe the first couple of hundred CDs. Then with a couple of USB ports, you could stick fat 250GB or 500GB disks on it and it could keep growing.

I know this isn't a geeks idea of heaven, but a lot of people want something this simple.

Whether Slim (or someone else) wants to do it is another story.

And whether there's enough interest to merit the effort - another story still.

Michael

funkstar
2006-05-14, 07:11
That sounds all suspiciously similar to a Qnap TS-101 to me Michael :)

Heuer
2006-05-14, 08:32
Agree with Funkstar - an SB3 connected to a Qnap TS-101 500Gb will give you a practically silent, stylish and small solution capable of holding thousands of songs. You could put both in one box I suppose but why bother?

Michaelwagner
2006-05-14, 11:31
Oh, I agree there's no point putting them in one box. But I don't think anyone minds that they're separate.

I think the Qnap is much larger than the SB3 physically. Takes 3.5" hard disks, if I recall correctly.

But most importantly, it's almost invisible to the market. If you found out about the Squeezebox by going to the web site, you'll not see it endorsed as a solution by Slim. Without that, most newbies won't know about it and won't buy it.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-14, 12:05
Not to mention the Qnap is only available in the U.K.

In the rest of the world, you're limited to Infrant, and they are priced so high you might as well get a PC instead.

nicketynick
2006-05-14, 13:35
Just ran into an article on 'Server Appliances', like the Tritton Technologies ASAP TRI-ASA2120 http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIASA2120.html
Don't have a clue about Web servers - can this be made to run Slimserver fairly easily?

funkstar
2006-05-14, 14:03
It depends if the Tritton unit can have additional software set up on it. Bascally it need to run a version of Linux that can run Perl be able to get Slimserver running as a process. Normally this isn't possible without hacking a new OS onto the box, or opening up the internal software somehow.

nicketynick
2006-05-14, 14:09
They do run on a flavour of Linux, like many of the NAS boxes - I was confused by the Webserver bit - but I think on further reading that its just a bit of resident software that points to HTML files - I thought the box might want allow you to install your server of choice, but it appears not. :-(

Heuer
2006-05-15, 01:35
Oh, I agree there's no point putting them in one box. But I don't think anyone minds that they're separate.

I think the Qnap is much larger than the SB3 physically. Takes 3.5" hard disks, if I recall correctly.

But most importantly, it's almost invisible to the market. If you found out about the Squeezebox by going to the web site, you'll not see it endorsed as a solution by Slim. Without that, most newbies won't know about it and won't buy it.

Hardly 'much' larger - 8" x 7" x 2.5" actually. It may not be actively endorsed by Slimdevices but I know Progressive Work very closely with Sean and Dean.

As for it only being available in the UK there is such a thing as the 'Post'. I frequently buy computer equipment from the US without problem. The Qnap uses an external 110/240v auto switching supply so you can order from Progressive Computing and be up and running in three days no matter where you are in the world.