PDA

View Full Version : WPA Password?

thekidct
2006-05-12, 17:00
My Squeezebox wasn't connecting to the network, so I went in to "troubleshoot". I'm not sure if I retyped the WPA password in correctly. Where can I find the original password? ( Yes, I am clueless about all this )

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-12, 17:11
It's in your router.

Consult your router documentation. You enter the IP address into your browser URL bar. It may ask you for a user name/password, which is why you have to check your documentation.

JJZolx
2006-05-13, 18:36
It's in your router.

Consult your router documentation. You enter the IP address into your browser URL bar. It may ask you for a user name/password, which is why you have to check your documentation.
The router interface (probably some type of web page) may not show the password, however. Most just display a string of ******'s.

If there aren't other devices on the network using wireless and that would have to be reconfigured, you can just go ahead and enter a new password on the router. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe for future reference. Then enter the same in the Squeezebox.

If there _are_ other wireless devices, such as laptop computers, using the wireless, and if you can't remember the password you'll still have no choice but to enter a new one. You'll have to then enter the new password on all other wireless devices on your network.

One trick, though - Many SOHO wireless routers aren't that careful about passwords. Even if you go into the web page and see the password blanked out with dots or asterisks, you may be able to still view the password. In your browser, do a "View Source" and look for something like

<input type="password" value="Whatever your password was">

The string in the value="..." part (without the surround quotes or doublequotes) is the password.