PDA

View Full Version : squeezenetwork and NAT



jvilhuber
2006-05-12, 09:10
Apologies if this isn't the list for squeezenetwork question/
suggestions: I have two squeezeboxen (v2 and v3), and I'm behind a
NAT (cable company). It appears that squeezeboxen on the
squeezenetwork are identified by IP address. Of course IP addresses
can change due to dhcp from the cable headend (I assume the same is
true for DSL connections).

So I can't seem to add my second box, though it CAN connect :) But,
though I haven't tried it yet, I doubt I can run both at the same
time as independent boxes on the squeezenetwork.

Any hints or suggestions? Slimserver seems to identify devices by MAC
address, which of course may not be practical over the internet at
large, unless the MAC address is embedded in the protocol for ID
purposes...

jan

andyg
2006-05-12, 09:21
On May 12, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Jan Vilhuber wrote:

> Apologies if this isn't the list for squeezenetwork question/
> suggestions: I have two squeezeboxen (v2 and v3), and I'm behind a
> NAT (cable company). It appears that squeezeboxen on the
> squeezenetwork are identified by IP address. Of course IP addresses
> can change due to dhcp from the cable headend (I assume the same is
> true for DSL connections).
>
> So I can't seem to add my second box, though it CAN connect :) But,
> though I haven't tried it yet, I doubt I can run both at the same
> time as independent boxes on the squeezenetwork.
>
> Any hints or suggestions? Slimserver seems to identify devices by
> MAC address, which of course may not be practical over the internet
> at large, unless the MAC address is embedded in the protocol for ID
> purposes...

SN also uses the MAC address. There should be no problem having
multiple SB's on SN at the same time from the same IP, I do it all
the time.

When you say you can't add your second box, what exactly happens?

(I'm going to move this thread to the SN forum by the way.)

brewster@archive.org
2009-01-04, 20:13
I am hoping I can control by squeezebox boom from my computer on the same private lan.

when I go to:
http://www.squeezenetwork.com/userHome

it says my squeezebox boom is not connected to the squeezenetwork. This is odd because I am listening to rhapsody music at the moment.

when I got to:

http://www.squeezenetwork.com/player/viewPlayers
I see a player, but it says "Not Connected"

the IP address is my cablemodem's address, not the internal private (NAT'ed) ip. I hope this is not the issue.

am I trying to do something that is not supported? something else wrong?

-brewster
brewster@archive.org

funkstar
2009-01-05, 02:50
it says my squeezebox boom is not connected to the squeezenetwork. This is odd because I am listening to rhapsody music at the moment.
But what is the Boom connected to? A local SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork directly?


the IP address is my cablemodem's address, not the internal private (NAT'ed) ip. I hope this is not the issue.
An external service like SqueezeNetwork will only ever see your Boom as your external IP, thats the whole point of having a router between your own network and the outside world. It could never know the *actual* IP of your Boom, and if it did it wouldn't make any sense. You would have thousands of people with players saying they were 192.168.0.x or something similar.