PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Apple Lossless Issue

chaz
2006-05-12, 08:43
Iím having a problem with playback of files ripped using apple lossless. The very beginning of the tracks (the very first split second) are cut off. Very annoying. Itís happening with the analog or digital out.

Details:
SB3
Slimserver 6.2.2 (had problem with 6.2.1 as well)
XP Pro

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Chaz

mrtaber
2006-05-12, 09:03
Chaz,

You wouldn't be set up to stream your ALAC files as FLAC, would you? Because there are a group of us (search the forums) who are having the exact same problem using FLAC...cutting off the beginning or the end (but not always--just sometimes for me). The workaround, for now, is to stream from FLAC to WAV... I'm not sure how to handle the ALAC streaming...

Mark

EDIT: Here's a link to the discussion: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23668

chaz
2006-05-12, 09:50
Hmm...I'm not really sure how to interpret the info on the file types section...maybe a call to tech support is in order.

It is inconsistant with me as well though.

cepheid
2006-05-12, 11:20
Hmm...I'm not really sure how to interpret the info on the file types section...maybe a call to tech support is in order.

It is inconsistant with me as well though.
chaz,

I have the exact same issue, and reported it here earlier. radish suspects it's due to a bug in box-side FLAC decoding.

The file-type screen isn't too bad. What you want to do is UNCHECK the "mov -> flac" option, but leave "mov -> wav" or "mov -> aiff" option checked. This should hopefully solve your issue, although it will increase the bandwidth required for streaming, so if your SB is connected wirelessly then you may notice problems if your signal is borderline. But give it a shot, let us know how it works out.

chaz
2006-05-12, 12:35
When you say "Mov", are you referring to "apple aac, lossless or movie file" in the first column? If so, I don't see a mov>wav option, but do have mov >aiff and mov > mp3.

Thanks for all your help.

cepheid
2006-05-12, 21:45
When you say "Mov", are you referring to "apple aac, lossless or movie file" in the first column? If so, I don't see a mov>wav option, but do have mov >aiff and mov > mp3.

Sorry, yes. I am referring to "Apple AAC, Lossless or Movie File" in the first column. In the second column, you should have "AIFF," "FLAC," and "MP3." Make sure that the FLAC and MP3 options are DISABLED, and that the AIFF option is ENABLED. This will ensure that your Apple Lossless files are streamed uncompressed.

(IIRC the only difference between AIFF and WAV is the byte-ordering and some small header information, but both should basically be containers for PCM data. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

chaz
2006-05-14, 03:43
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, this has not resolved the issue.

cepheid
2006-05-15, 01:49
Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, this has not resolved the issue.
Hi chaz,

Wow, really? You made sure to turn OFF the Apple->FLAC checkbox, right? In other words, ONLY Apple->AIFF is enabled in that series? Also, you should probably DISABLE the AIFF->FLAC and AIFF->MP3 options (near the top)... it's possible that SlimServer is taking the AIFF output (from the Apple->AIFF conversion) and then converting it to FLAC or MP3 because of those checkboxes.

So basically, make sure that AIFF->AIFF and Apple->AIFF are the only checkboxes enabled in their respective series... does that fix it?

If that DOESN'T fix it then this problem is not limited to FLAC but is indicative of some other issue... it may be related, though. Slim Developers, hopefully you're following this issue, since it seems to be getting more widespread...

Chaz, let us know whether disabling the other checkboxes helps.

Gildahl
2006-05-15, 13:16
I believe you are encountering bug #2095. See

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2095

You can see my workaround as comment #10.

This issue was reported in September '05 and is assigned, so you might want to add some of your own comments to the bug to raise its visibility.

You

cepheid
2006-05-15, 13:51
I believe you are encountering bug #2095.
Thanks for pointing us to this bug. I've added my comments there, hopefully this will help.

chaz
2006-05-15, 14:08
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Disabling the AIFF > FLAC and AIFF > MP3 didn't help. After looking at bug #2095 I'm pretty sure that that is the issue I'm having. This does not affect all files I rip using apple lossless....and on the cd's that are affected even then not all the tracks have this issue. But one thing that is sure is that if a track has the problem it ALWAYS has the problem. And playback in Itunes is flawless (except that it's in Itunes!).

I've been using one particular cd as the guinea pig for this issue. When I rip it using 320 KB aac or mp3 or as wav files there's no problem at all with playback.

Gildahl, I'll try ripping it as AIFF and see if that has any problems. Is this a lossless format as well?

And thanks again for all the help people.

Chaz

cepheid
2006-05-15, 15:15
Gildahl, I'll try ripping it as AIFF and see if that has any problems. Is this a lossless format as well?
AIFF is lossless. It is essentially a wrapper for PCM data IIRC. WAV is similar except that it uses opposite byte-ordering. Note that AIFF is an uncompressed format so it will take up approximately twice the space compared to ALAC. Unless you've got a LOT of disk space I would not recommend keeping the majority of your files as AIFF.

SoundBoy
2006-05-15, 18:47
of course fixing the bug would make your life much easier. I do not see the point why you guys need to suffer due to an already known bug in the software. Hm... sounds like quality.. sounds like fun. I would use ITunes.. smile

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Disabling the AIFF > FLAC and AIFF > MP3 didn't help. After looking at bug #2095 I'm pretty sure that that is the issue I'm having. This does not affect all files I rip using apple lossless....and on the cd's that are affected even then not all the tracks have this issue. But one thing that is sure is that if a track has the problem it ALWAYS has the problem. And playback in Itunes is flawless (except that it's in Itunes!).

I've been using one particular cd as the guinea pig for this issue. When I rip it using 320 KB aac or mp3 or as wav files there's no problem at all with playback.

And thanks again for all the help people.

Chaz

Gildahl
2006-05-16, 06:35
Correct, AIFF is indeed lossless and has the benefit of being natively supported by the SB. In my case, there are only a handful of files that fall prey to the gap problem. These are typically songs that span tracks or songs that otherwise start with little or no dead time. Converting those to AIFF took up a relatively insignificant amount of extra space.

From your post in the bug it appears that you're using OS X. If you read comment #5 you might want to try replacing mov123 with ALAC as a decoder. This may eliminate your problem without having to go the AIFF route. I couldn't do this since I was on Windows, but in the end I ended up moving my music to a Linux server where I use ALAC as my decoder. This seems to have cleaned up the problem.

Dave

AIFF is lossless. It is essentially a wrapper for PCM data IIRC. WAV is similar except that it uses opposite byte-ordering. Note that AIFF is an uncompressed format so it will take up approximately twice the space compared to ALAC. Unless you've got a LOT of disk space I would not recommend keeping the majority of your files as AIFF.

cepheid
2006-05-17, 16:31
From your post in the bug it appears that you're using OS X. If you read comment #5 you might want to try replacing mov123 with ALAC as a decoder.
I am indeed using OS X. I'll give alac a try to see whether that works. However, the OP on that bug implied that alac caused stutter and other audio problems. I'm glad it seems to be working for you, though - that makes me more confident that it will work for me.

Once I have some time, I'll give it a shot and let you know.

(Of course, using alac is just a workaround, not a real bug fix. It would behoove the developers to track down the root cause of this bug within the mov123 code as AAC files may also be affected... while AAC isn't designed for gapless playback because it pads the ends of songs, songs that start abruptly are in principle supposed to work but may still fall prone to this bug.)

chaz
2006-05-18, 06:41
Well I'd opened a ticket with support concerning this issue and they have acknowleged the bug and are chalking it up to bug # 2095 - and then they closed the ticket. So far it's just a few of my cd's that are affected with this problem so I can jsut rip those to aiff for now.

The last e-mail i got from support stated that "From what I understand, the developers are reviewing the details for an upcoming update."

We'll see what happens.

Thanks for everyones input and help.

cepheid
2006-06-14, 21:02
Please make sure to vote for bug 2095... the votes do help. Bug 1434 just got fixed, so let's try to get this one sometime soon too.

Fuseball
2006-06-15, 01:13
Just voted for it. It really is the only annoyance I have with my SB3. Having ripped around 3000 albums to AAC (compromise between storage, iPod use and quality) I'm rather reluctant to do it all again.

chaz
2006-06-27, 07:18
Richard at Slim Devices just posted to this bug saying that it may be related to bug 3303 and therefore possibly resolved in Slimserver 6.3 / Firmware 55.

Can anyone comment on this?

- Chaz

cepheid
2006-06-27, 14:27
Richard at Slim Devices just posted to this bug saying that it may be related to bug 3303 and therefore possibly resolved in Slimserver 6.3 / Firmware 55.
I suspect it's not actually related. Bug 3303 seems to be a FLAC-related bug, while this issue seems to point back to mov123 ALAC decoding, not the FLAC decoding. Another user posted today that FW55 did not solve the issue.

chaz
2006-07-26, 12:27
Just wanted to check in on this thread. Since upgrading to 6.3 this issue has ceased to be a problem....and I am a happy man.

In fact, 6.3, so far, is the most stable version I've used. So far so good.

Richard Carrington
2006-07-27, 00:19
I'l running Slimserver 6.3.0 and release 55 on the SB3, but suffer this bug regually with playback of Apple lossless files.

Does anyone know if this bug is getting fixed, as its ruining my enjoyment of the SB3 on a very high end hi-fi set-up.

Rich.

leping
2006-08-08, 22:58
This bug is still there and very, very trouble some.

Try this classical CD:

Duutsche Grammophon B0003902-02
Lang Lang: Rachmaninnov Piano Concerto No.2 / Paganini Rhapsody
Orchestra of Mariinsky Theatre, Valery Gergiev, conducting

Starting from track #4, the Rhapsody was broken into many short
tracks, with the first one only 6" followed by several 18"-20" ones.
While the music actually plays continuously you can easily and
obviously hear the jumps and clicks.

I also believe what got clipped is the ends of the tracks not the
beginning.

WAV files ripped with EAC are OK (gapless). Anything iTunes
converts from the WAV files will jump, ALAC, AAC, and AIFF.

I have tried to go around this for several days but the conclusion
is the only way I can let my SB3 play continously is to keep the
music in WAV files, which does not keep tags so their tags are
actually in iTune library files, If I move the WAV files all the tags
are lost, of course. So even when HD capacity is not a problem,
there is currently no good solutions to this bug!

Thanks,
Leping

dnighorn
2006-09-01, 14:12
Is this bug still in play? I would like to think that it has been resolved in 6.5. I still love my Squeezeboxes, but this is a very annoying issue to deal with.

ChrisOwens
2006-09-01, 14:34
This bug has been fixed in 6.5 as far as I can tell.

If anyone sees differently, please reopen the bug with instructions to reproduce the problem, and preferably some sample files (if the attached ones don't show the problem you are having)

Thanks!

dnighorn
2006-09-01, 20:04
Woo Hoo! I cannot wait to upgrade. Now I have to debate about whether to grab the latest nightly or wait until the official releases. Decisions, decisions.....

David

TikiGod
2006-12-22, 19:58
I still get a click (albeit quiet) between tracks streaming Apple Lossless files ALAC to WAV....any ideas? The song is not cut-off, just a pop/click.
I'm using the latest Slimserver download......
TikiGod

Spies
2006-12-22, 23:10
This sounds familiar. Give this a try.
Edit convert.conf and change:
alc wav * *
[alac] $FILE$
to:
alc wav * *
[alac] -r $FILE$
I seem to think that worked for me the last time I tried.

On 12/22/06, TikiGod
<TikiGod.2j901z1166842801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I still get a click (albeit quiet) between tracks streaming Apple
> Lossless files ALAC to WAV....any ideas? The song is not cut-off, just
> a pop/click.
> I'm using the latest Slimserver download......
> TikiGod
>
>
> --
> TikiGod
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> TikiGod's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3337
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23831
>
>