Anyway to steam mysic to a wireless PDA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autopilot
    • Oct 2005

Anyway to steam mysic to a wireless PDA?

I have a PDA (MDA Vario) which has wireless. Is there anyway i could stream music from slimserver to it?
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)
  • zhiva
    • May 2006

Stream music to pda

I did it with the following configuration:

-A PC with wireless full of MP3 and Slimserver running
    -Clie NX80 with wireless card
    -3Com Wireless router

First I did set up the slimserver software on the pc, then used Netfront to navigate to the slimserver server and pick the songs i liked to play on the pc speakers.

Then i wanted to hear the music on the clie. I realized i needed a player with "url playing" like winamp on a pc to hear remote music.

So i found the "Pocket Tunes software" (http://www.pocket-tunes.com)tough is not free it can play music from a URL (in this case my pc with slimserver url using the wireless connection.

By the way, anyone knows another palm mp3 player that can do what "Pocket Tunes" does ? (freeware, if possible)

Comment

• autopilot
      • Oct 2005

Cool solution, but that would not give me any control over what was playing with the PDA.

I believe there is/was a java version of softsqueeze (is it an applet?). As the PDA can run java, surely it would be posible to make a version capable of running on a PDA, no?
      Last edited by autopilot; 2006-05-11, 22:08.
      Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Comment

• zhiva
        • May 2006

Well, i edit the playlist using netfront connecting to the pc...

Comment

• Smiley Dan
          • May 2006

This is very straightforward, I've done it with my 770. All you do is setup whatever audio player you have to listen to the feed from the SlimServer (I think it's Real audio?). Then in a separate Web browser, go to the Web server and start loading your tracks on to your wireless device you have. The player then starts playing.

The UI is a little clunky for managing multiple players imo, but there you go.

Comment

• Ramage
            • May 2006

Streaming to wireless PDA

This is very straightforward. I use a Dell X50v but any wireless PDA would do (running MS mobile).

Use the PDA browser to access the web interface on Slim server, which will give you full control in the same way as your normal PC. For best results use the SS "handheld" skin.

Use an mp3 player on the PDA - I use some freeware called GS Player, get it from http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/ it works very well. Create a playlist for GSPlayer pointing at your slim server stream.mp3 and away you go. There is a little delay from the buffering in the player but you could experiment with the settings. Once the player starts you can control the whole thing from the browser.

Of course you can also use the PDA browser to control the SB3 player as well

GS Player is also good for playing internet streams direct, or any other mp3 streams.
            Last edited by Ramage; 2006-05-12, 11:45.
            P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 10.04 SBS 7.6.0 - r31284
            AMD64x2 ubuntu 10.04, SBS 7.5.2 - r30889
            Dell 10v WinXP SBS 7.5.2 - r31264
            Dell 10v ubuntu netbook remix 10.04, SBS 7.6.0 - r30830
            Players: Classic, Duet, Boom

Comment

• autopilot
              • Oct 2005

I think i will just forget Slimserver for now and directly access the files/playlists (share the my music folder over the network) and use a good media player.
              Cheers, auto.

Comment

• funkstar
                • Nov 2005

Have you looked at SlimRemote by Michael Herger?

can be run on the following devices:
                PocketPC
                MS SmartPhone
                Casio BE-300
                HandHeldPC Pro
                Sharp Zaurus
                Linux Desktop
                Windows Desktop
                Any Java 1.2 VM

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
                In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Comment

• jdulltasha
                  • Nov 2007

How do you "navigate" to slimserver on using pocket tunes? I have it on my Palm.

Hi,

How do you "navigate" to slimserver on using pocket tunes? I have it on my Palm.

Originally posted by Ramage
                  This is very straightforward. I use a Dell X50v but any wireless PDA would do (running MS mobile).

Use the PDA browser to access the web interface on Slim server, which will give you full control in the same way as your normal PC. For best results use the SS "handheld" skin.

Use an mp3 player on the PDA - I use some freeware called GS Player, get it from http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA032810/ it works very well. Create a playlist for GSPlayer pointing at your slim server stream.mp3 and away you go. There is a little delay from the buffering in the player but you could experiment with the settings. Once the player starts you can control the whole thing from the browser.

Of course you can also use the PDA browser to control the SB3 player as well

GS Player is also good for playing internet streams direct, or any other mp3 streams.

Comment

• jdulltasha
                    • Nov 2007

netfront <free version> no longer available

any other options?

Comment

• davep
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jdulltasha
                      Hi,

You don't. You use pocket tunes as the streaming client and control the SlimServer via the Handheld skin in the browser i.e. Blazer. AFAIK you need the (paid for) Bonus Features enabled to allow streaming. I did do this a couple of years ago on a Palm TX and it worked just fine.

davep

Comment

Working...