PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver performance recommendations: Synchronization, etc.

hashref
2006-05-10, 11:10
My setup:
3 Squeeze boxes.
SB1 in den
SB2 in bedroom
SB3 in kitchen

SB1 and SB3 are synchronized.

Slimserver:
2500XP
512megs ram
WinXP Pro (fresh installation with all updates and limited services running)

Network:
All run wireless on 802.11g

Library:
about 10000 songs

Problems:
Not really that bad, but occasionally the syncronization between the SB1 and the SB3 are off. On occasion, the boxes go blank and I need to restart the "server" as well as having to restart (disconnect power) one or more of the SB's. Sometimes ExBrowse3 causes pauses, sometimes not. What could I do to improve the performance of the SB's and Slimserver?

My first impression is to upgrade to 2gigs ram. Will this really help? I could run cat5 to some of the locations easily. Would this be more benificial than a memory upgrade?

I have the most recent version of Fedora and may be trying that out instead. Anyone have experience with the two OS's running slimserver and notice a performance gain with one over the other? Yea, probably a dumb question, but maybe it really isn't that significant... (WinXP is just a quickie setup but in the end it will eventually be replaced by either 2003 or a linux distro)

I know this is a somewhat common question but am curious if anyone reading has recently performed any upgrades and has knowledge of which upgrades/os's have offered the most significant improvement(s).

Thanks for any input offered!

jimdibb
2006-05-10, 11:22
I'd think you'd be better off switching them around so the SB2 and SB3
are sync'd. They use the same hardware so they'd probably stay in
sync better. (just a guess/opinion though).

On 5/10/06, hashref
<hashref.27lt2z1147284901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> My setup:
> 3 Squeeze boxes.
> SB1 in den
> SB2 in bedroom
> SB3 in kitchen
>
> SB1 and SB3 are synchronized.
>
>

hashref
2006-05-10, 15:18
I'd think you'd be better off switching them around so the SB2 and SB3
are sync'd. They use the same hardware so they'd probably stay in
sync better. (just a guess/opinion though).

I'll try that this evening. If that doesn't do it I'll try SlimCD and dump in a huge playlist for a few days....