PDA

View Full Version : persistence of Shoutcast stations, implementation question in 6.2.2

Mark
2006-05-08, 17:36
Can someone please explain why Shoutcast stations are not persistent? It seems like no sooner than I add one to my favorites, I have to update it because the URL changes. I've stopped adding them to my favorites and now navigate to the station every time I want to listen to it.

Before I got a Squeezebox, I used Winamp. I very rarely had to update the URLs for the stations I listened to. If they changed, it was transparent to me. What's different about the Slim Devices implementation?

I understand that there are mulitple streams, but is there a way to simplify the programming of radio stations so that once I add a station, for example Radio Paradise at 128kbs, I never have to update it again?

Thanks,

Mark

andyg
2006-05-08, 18:14
Shoutcast stations have 2 URLs. The Shoutcast plugin gives you a standard one that looks like this: http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein.pls?id=12345&filename=playlist.pls

This link sends you a pls playlist file that contains 1 or more actual links to the stream. If you add to favorites from the list of stations, your favorite will include the tunein.pls link. If you add the favorite from Now Playing after you've started listening, you'll get the real stream link. Either type of link should continue to work. Sometimes stations will change their stream links, but I expect that's not a very common occurrence.

You did mention you're using 6.2.2 which includes an outdated Shoutcast plugin that may no longer work properly. If you're concerned about this you may want to try playing Shoutcast via SqueezeNetwork or downloading a 6.3 nightly build.

Mark
2006-05-09, 19:51
Andy,

Thanks for the explanantion and the tip. I'll experiment a bit and perhaps even try a nightly.

One last question. I'm currently running the released version of 6.2.2. IS there much risk with regard to bugs with the current 6.3 nightly? It's only been a couple of weeks so I'm hoping the interim builds are not problematic.

Thanks again,

Mark

andyg
2006-05-09, 20:01
The risk of using 6.3 should be low. To be safe, you could backup your 6.2.2 database and prefs files first in case things go horribly wrong. :) Just be sure to shutdown SlimServer before you backup the files.

Mark
2006-05-10, 04:58
Andy,

I installed yesterday's 6.3 build and have a few questions.

1) FYI - before upgrading I did a little investigation and realized that the issue with Shoutcast stations occurred when I tried to access the using the Recently Played menu. I have not tested since upgrading to 6.3.

2)Before upgrading from the release version of 6.2.2 I checked the station list and noticed it was now limited to a small number of stations, even though it should have been returning 300, as set in the GUI.

3)After upgrading the Shoutcast menu structure is very different. I can no longer browse all streams or refresh the stream list. Is this intentional?

4)After upgrading I can only browse 35 stations, even when browsing the "Top 500" stations. I'm assuming this is a bug. Please advise.

Thanks,

Mark

andyg
2006-05-10, 05:07
2)Before upgrading from the release version of 6.2.2 I checked the station list and noticed it was now limited to a small number of stations, even though it should have been returning 300, as set in the GUI.

Yep, they limited the old data feed to only a few stations.

3)After upgrading the Shoutcast menu structure is very different. I can no longer browse all streams or refresh the stream list. Is this intentional?

Yes.

4)After upgrading I can only browse 35 stations, even when browsing the "Top 500" stations. I'm assuming this is a bug. Please advise.

The Top 500 currently has 459 stations in it. The missing stations are probably AAC+ stations which are filtered out. I don't know why you'd only see 35 stations.

Mark
2006-05-10, 05:25
Andy,

Thanks for the update. TO be honest, I'm not sure I like the changes. I no longer have any setup options under Server Settings. Also, I cannot filter to display high bitrate stations. I have to click on each retunred link when I search to find the stream I want. I'll have to play with the settings a bit. It seems like the intention is have users manually add stations or browse by genre rather than facilitating exploration from a list.

As for your response about the Top 500 stations, I'm confused. Why would the AAC stations be filtered out? If this is due to an inability of the SB to play them, why would they even count in the total? If I click Top 500, I would have expected to see 500 stations. If the SB can play them, I would have expected to see them displayed. The 35 station display is a major issue to me. Should I register this as a bug? Do you think something was corrupted when I upgraded? Also, you said "they" limited the number of stations available in the feed. Who is "they"? Shoutcast?

I'm trying to get a handle on where the design of Shoutcast radio is going. It seems like there are a lot of changes. FWIW, I just launched Winamp and the number of Shoutcast stations is now much smaller there too, which leads me to the conclusion that Shoutcast has changed their business model. Do you know what's going on?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark
2006-05-10, 05:39
Andy,

I did a quick check of the Shoutcast station listing, and there are still many high bitrate stations listed. So, I guess I'm not sure exactly who is instituting the changes in Shoutcast functionality... It's very strange indeed.

Regards,

Mark

mherger
2006-05-10, 07:12
> Thanks for the update. TO be honest, I'm not sure I like the changes. I
> no longer have any setup options under Server Settings. Also, I cannot
> filter to display high bitrate stations. I have to click on each
> retunred link when I search to find the stream I want. I'll have to
> play with the settings a bit. It seems like the intention is have users
> manually add stations or browse by genre rather than facilitating
> exploration from a list.

We all will have to live with the changes: this wasn't Slimdevices' or a
developpers choice, but dictated by a change Shoutcast did without
announcement. The station list as it was used before isn't available any
more.

> As for your response about the Top 500 stations, I'm confused. Why
> would the AAC stations be filtered out? If this is due to an inability
> of the SB to play them, why would they even count in the total?

It's shoutcast who delivers the Top 500 list. Slimserver receives that
list and filters out those stations that won't work.

> Also, you said "they"
> limited the number of stations available in the feed. Who is "they"?
> Shoutcast?

Yep. Therefore it's of little use filing this as a bug. You'd have to
complain with Shoutcast ;-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mark
2006-05-10, 19:03
Thanks for the reply. I suppose "Beggars can't be choosers". Oh well, I'm sure I'll get used to it (and then it will change again). : )

Cheers!

Mark