PDA

View Full Version : SB3 - hangs, screen blank, after awhile continues

rroussev
2006-05-08, 13:39
Hi,

Just got my brand new SB3 shipped from US. Pretty quickly hit a problem though:

When on Squeezebox Home and playing any music, after about 30 secs of play, device stops responding to remote commands, after about 5 sec the screen goes completely blank, after another 10-15 sec it starts playing the songs it was playing before.

firmware: 48
slimserver 6.2.2 running on win2k

no screen savers on computer, even installed it on another computer - same problem. Also tried both wireless and ethernet connection - same problem.

SqueezeNetwork plays without any problems whatsoever.

Grateful for any help!

Regards: Rossen

stinkingpig
2006-05-09, 14:44
On 5/8/06, rroussev <rroussev.27iagn1147120801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
>
> Just got my brand new SB3 shipped from US. Pretty quickly hit a problem
> though:
>
> When on Squeezebox Home and playing any music, after about 30 secs of
> play, device stops responding to remote commands, after about 5 sec the

could it still be scanning? How's the load on the server?
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Siduhe
2006-05-09, 15:52
Are you using Itunes to manage your library or playlists at all ?

If so, try increasing the Itunes reload interval (see the Beginners Guide to Itunes).

Siduhe
2006-05-09, 16:03
Also, are you running wired or wireless ? If wireless, any possibility of wireless interference ? If there is another wireless network nearby on the same channel as yours, it may be interfering.

You probably wouldn't notice this until you tried to do something that requires constant rate of connection like streaming music.

If you have a wireless pc, download Netstumbler and check out any other wireless networks in range. 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels.

kbeast
2006-05-09, 20:53
Are you using Itunes to manage your library or playlists at all ?

If so, try increasing the Itunes reload interval (see the Beginners Guide to Itunes).

I tend to have the same problem..its intermittent, and generally happens when I have a lot of traffic going through the network, haven't tried hardwire yet, but, the itunes thing may be a possible that I'll try...I don't even really use itunes, not sure why I have that enabled..

Another thing I ususally notice is that i'm working pretty heavily on my slimserver PC..so I ususally crank down the LAME encoder a few notches and it seems to go away (player settings/audio), I tend to put it back at 0 after a while...ahh..can't wait to make slimserver a standalone box..

rroussev
2006-05-10, 12:40
1. I don't use iTunes and plugin is disabled - doesn't solve the problem

2. I'm trying both wireless and wired network - still have the problem

3. I've completely removed and reinstalled slim server - still have problem

4. I've installed slim server on another computer, disabled ALL plugins and internet plugins - still have the same problem

5. This doesn't happen when playing squeezeNetwork - that is all fine

6. When connected to slimserver and switch off - I get the clock, which then shows the same problem - freezes after awhile, screen goes blank, after 20 secs comes back again. This is in a 'switched off' state.

I'm starting to think this is a hardware problem...

dean
2006-05-10, 12:52
Please get in touch with support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com

On May 10, 2006, at 12:40 PM, rroussev wrote:

>
> 1. I don't use iTunes and plugin is disabled - doesn't solve the
> problem
>
> 2. I'm trying both wireless and wired network - still have the problem
>
> 3. I've completely removed and reinstalled slim server - still have
> problem
>
> 4. I've installed slim server on another computer, disabled ALL
> plugins
> and internet plugins - still have the same problem
>
> 5. This doesn't happen when playing squeezeNetwork - that is all fine
>
> 6. When connected to slimserver and switch off - I get the clock,
> which
> then shows the same problem - freezes after awhile, screen goes blank,
> after 20 secs comes back again. This is in a 'switched off' state.
>
> I'm starting to think this is a hardware problem...
>
>
> --
> rroussev
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> rroussev's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=5407
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23744
>
>

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-10, 12:54
I'm starting to think this is a hardware problem...

Certainly seems like it.

The only common piece of hardware in all your testing is your router. Focus attention there and on the cable between the SlimServer and the PC. Try swapping the cable out and using a different LAN port.

You indicate that things are fine with SqueezeNetwork, so it would be on your LAN somewhere.

Also try wiring your Squeezebox directly to your SlimServer PC. If the problem goes away, it's your router/LAN.

Do your router lights show an unusual burst of activity right before the Squeezebox chokes? A packet sniffer like Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/) might show something, but it's a little advanced. You may want to try it out and post some lines on this thread, centred around when the Squeezebox fails.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-10, 13:00
The only common piece of hardware in all your testing is your router.

Err, and your SB3 as Dean notes! <blush>

hashref
2006-05-10, 14:36
Another way to test if it is the link between the server and squeezebox would be to use Softsqueeze or a media player on a pc to stream to. For instance, with Wndows Media Player choose Open URL from the File menu and enter http://<slimserver ip>:9000/stream.mp3 and then go to http://<slimserver ip>:9000 and select the newley created "squeeze box" from the players dropdown menu and start a playlist.

ntom
2006-05-10, 14:45
i've had the same thing happen several times since upgrading to 6.2.2.

I havent (yet?) noticed a problem any time music has been playing......

I was one who had the stuttering problems before with the later FW versions under 6.2.1 -I forget now which FW version I fell back to with 6.2.1 that was stable....

I will tread carefully for a while with 6.2.2....

slimdemage
2006-05-11, 11:46
I am so sorry for the problems you and so many others experience. My research shows the Squeezebox product does not function as advertised, and often ships with failing components. The Slim Devices company has succeeded in making a bitter x-customerout of me by wasting my time, energy, and sanity, expecting me to pay money to test their product. When I read comments like these over and over:

"If you have a wireless pc, download Netstumbler and check"...

"Focus attention there and on the cable between the SlimServer and the PC."...

..I have to laugh out loud, and think Slim Devices wants you to become their guinea pig--a beta tester who paid $300 for a broken product.

I am not writing this to cause bad reactions, and I am not trolling. The experience made me bitter, and I am typing my feelings here. When I see people still have these same continued problems after 6.2.2 I am just about ready to give up visiting this site or caring about this product. Because I see a tiny seed of something potentially good, I am still checking back over here. I really hope they fix this product and stop making customers like you waste all this time and energy.

snarlydwarf
2006-05-11, 12:33
Have you ever considered getting a life?

I mean, geebus, you got your money back (as promised) yet you spend dozens of hours whining.

You must be a real pleasure to deal with in real life if you spend so much energy whining about things you don't like.

rroussev
2006-05-11, 13:23
Guys,

Many thanks for all the words of support and all..

I have to admit that I've had many bad experiences with support folks, but Slimdevices have actually been very good and responsive!

Anyway, seems that I've managed to fix the problem. This is what happened:

1. I downgraded slimserver to 6.2.1. This caused sb3 to up(down)grade firmware to v.28. This unfortunately did NOT solve the problem.

2. I then decided to upgrade back to 6.2.2 and firmware v.48. During the upgrade however the SB got stuck and reported a 'bad state' error. SB would not respond to anything anymore and I thought I ended up with a $300 brick. I did a factory reset and SB started upgrading again upon startup. After successful v.48 upgrade the SB3 now works absolutely fine! I've been switching between squeezenetwork and slimserver and trying to 'break' the thing up but it just works fine now :-)

There is one interesting thing I'd like to mention: I was advised to perform a 'xilink chip reprogram' procedure which at the end I didn't do, but if anyone else is experiencing this, it might help. Hold 1 while pluging in the SB3. A warning: I haven't done this and this is NOT what solved my problem, but just thought I should share it with the community.

Last but not least: now that my sb3 works - -I LOVE IT! My wife loves it. My kids love it! I'm absolutely fine with a 'perpetual beta' as long as we have support forums like this and a responsive and committed company support!

Hope this helps others as well.

Regards!

Ross L
2006-05-12, 12:01
I'm not completely sure what fixed your issue... But I'm happy you're happy!

Thanks for the kind words, Enjoy your Squeezebox!