PDA

View Full Version : Cover Songs You Love

fairyliquidizer
2006-05-07, 16:38
Hey guys,

I've had a love/hate relationship with "covers". For example "That's Life" by David Lee Roth rocks, yet so many cover "American Pie" Madonna add nothing to the original.

So as a starter to our list of covers that we love I'll skip over Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" covered by Jesus and the Mary Chain and kick things off with:

Love's "Alone Again Or"

I first heard this on UFOs live Album Lights Out but didn't figure out years later why the Damned song "Alone Again Or" sounded so familiar (perhaps the best version). In later years I was reminded of those songs by the Boo Radleys cover of it, and once again by Calexico (far more recently). Calexico rock, in a Mariachi kind of way :-)

Damn it there's even a chick version by Sarah Brightman :)

So guys what covers do you love?

Fairy

kanoot
2006-05-07, 18:32
Two come to mind for me:

1. The Swans version of Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home" - absolutely perfect

2. Bongwater's cover of the Monkees "Porpoise Song" - amazing

Aztek
2006-05-07, 18:37
Space Oddity - Helloween
Frozen - Jeff Scott Soto
California Dreaming - Jose Feliciano
Mighty Quinn - Gotthard
Ruby Tuesday - Gotthard
Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies

.....to name but a few

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-07, 19:00
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix.

I've never heard the original Bob Dylan version.

kbeast
2006-05-07, 22:09
Artist: 311
Song: Love Song
Album: 50 First Dates

Best I've ever heard...as far as covers go for songs I've heard the original for...

...Judas Priest, Diamonds And Rust would have to be the best cover, except I've never heard the original until recent..I actually always thought they were the original.

TCM
2006-05-07, 23:15
I guess you have to mention the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails

Craig
2006-05-08, 04:03
I'll choose Manfred Mann's Earthband doing Blinded by the light (just to stir up the Spingsteen fans)
and Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes as a couple of classics.

And fairyliquidizer, I saw Calexico live for the first time the other week and they were awesome, 3 hours of mariachi rock :-)

Craig

DJanGo
2006-05-08, 05:15
Tom Jones - Black Betty
The Natural 1 - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

are very nice....

and dont write any letter about the damned Cover from "Just An Illussion" orig. by "Imagination" - that is now refreshed and hiphopped by Mariah Carey *bored*

Kyle
2006-05-08, 06:40
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes as a couple of classics.

Did Bowie record All the Young Dudes first? I thought he gave it to Mott the Hoople. I've never heard a Bowie version.

Craig
2006-05-08, 06:52
Did Bowie record All the Young Dudes first? I thought he gave it to Mott the Hoople. I've never heard a Bowie version.

I heard it a few years ago and it's dire. I'm not sure when he recorded it though.

Craig

egd
2006-05-08, 07:03
Led Zeppelin's Going to California covered by Never the Bride
Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone covered by John Mellencamp

ceejay
2006-05-08, 08:00
Stairway to Heaven, by Rolf Harris

Ceejay

tomsi42
2006-05-08, 08:34
I saw Calexico live for the first time the other week and they were awesome, 3 hours of mariachi rock :-)

Craig

Oboy, do I wish I was there!

tomsi42
2006-05-08, 08:43
Heather Nova does a nice version of Wicked Game on her last album (Redbird).

It is rather close to the original, but I still like it ;) The song fit's Heather Nova's style.

Craig
2006-05-08, 08:43
Oboy, do I wish I was there!

I'll definately be there again if they mosey on down my way again ;-)

Craig

Craig
2006-05-08, 08:45
It would be unfair not to mention Sinead O'Conner's Nothing Compares 2U.

Craig

Mike Meyer
2006-05-08, 09:10
I really like Guns N Roses version of Knockin' On Heavens door. Not the one on Use Your Illusion II but the Live at the Ritz version.

You Really Got Me by Van Halen.

I also prefer Manfred Mann's version of Blinded By The Light.

fairyliquidizer
2006-05-08, 11:49
Space Oddity - Helloween
Frozen - Jeff Scott Soto
California Dreaming - Jose Feliciano
Mighty Quinn - Gotthard
Ruby Tuesday - Gotthard
Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies

.....to name but a few

Hmmm Sweet Jane by Cowboy Junkies, can't remember if I've heard their version. Bet it would be cool.

Space Oddity by Helloween sounds irresistable.

fairyliquidizer
2006-05-08, 11:55
I'll choose Manfred Mann's Earthband doing Blinded by the light (just to stir up the Spingsteen fans)
and Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes as a couple of classics.

And fairyliquidizer, I saw Calexico live for the first time the other week and they were awesome, 3 hours of mariachi rock :-)

Craig

Damn I didn't realise that they were touring the UK. I saw them in Glasgow last year and they are damn fine. I'd definately go see them again.

That said I'm going to miss my teenage nostalgia dream gig of Twisted Sister who are playing Scotland while I'm in Australia. I know, not everyones dream gig, but I last saw them when I was 16 :)

Fairy

fairyliquidizer
2006-05-08, 11:58
I really like Guns N Roses version of Knockin' On Heavens door. Not the one on Use Your Illusion II but the Live at the Ritz version.

The VH version of You Really Got Me is oohhhhh sooooo sweet. They rocked in the DLR days. DLR has done some fine covers, for example That's Life!

I prefered GNRs Live and Let Die to their Knockin' on Heavens Door.

Fairy

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-08, 12:06
That said I'm going to miss my teenage nostalgia dream gig of Twisted Sister who are playing Scotland while I'm in Australia. I know, not everyones dream gig, but I last saw them when I was 16 :)

LOL!

To this day, whenever I mention a band, my Dad says:

"Are those the guys with the raw bone?!?"

That cover must've made a lasting impression on him.

http://www.slothradio.com/covers/?adv=&artist=twisted+sister&album=stay+hungry

Craig
2006-05-08, 12:11
Damn I didn't realise that they were touring the UK. I saw them in Glasgow last year and they are damn fine. I'd definately go see them again.
Fairy

I didn't know that they toured last year, we'll have to exchange notes next time :-)

Craig

Jez
2006-05-08, 13:02
I'm a complete sucker for a great (or interesting) cover as some of my friends can attest . .

Rolf's "Stairway To Heaven" is cool, but Dolly Parton's is sublime (from 'Halos and Horns', I believe). Of course, seeing Rolf do it live at Glastonbury was a once in a lifetime moment.
Muse's version of 'Feeling Good' is great - different to Nina Simone but somehow capturing the same feelings
I love most of the 'Paisley Underground' bands so the whole of the 'Rainy Day' album is fun - 80's band paying tribute to their 60's imspirations.
It's not exactly a cover, but Anthony (Stewart) Head's version of 'Sweet Transvestite' from his days doing Rocky Horror in London is great.
One (even more) obscure one is The Ectomorph's cover of 'Garden of Earthly Delights' originally by The United States of America.
Finally, harking back to the original post, Quicksilver Messenger Service's suite of 'Who Do You Love' on side 1 of 'Happy Trails' is a classic.

Slightly off topic but probably of interest - you should all check out
http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/
Mark Vidler is a mash-up genius and some of MP3's are not to missed1

Kyle
2006-05-08, 13:08
Joe Cocker "With A Little Help From My Friends"

eq72521
2006-05-08, 13:56
I make a lot of Mix CDs. One of my most recent happened to be themed "covers":

Sarah MacLachlan - Ol'55 [Tom Waits]
Annie Lennox - Don't Let It Bring You Down [Neil Young]
Semisonic - Air That I Breathe [Hammond/Hazelwood]
Nine Inch Nails - Dead Souls [Joy Division]
Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower [Bob Dylan]
Stone Temple Pilots - Dancing Days [Led Zeppelin]
U2 - Happiness Is A Warm Gun (The Gun Mix) [The Beatles]
Cake - Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps [Osvaldo Farrés]
Emer Kenny - Golden Brown [The Stranglers]
Johnny Cash - Hurt [Nine Inch Nails]
Michael Andrews - Mad World [Tears For Fears]
R.E.M. - First We Take Manhattan [Leonard Cohen]
Stabbing Westward - Bizarre Love Triangle [New Order]
Apocalyptica - The Unforgiven [Metallica]
The Cardigans - Iron Man [Black Sabbath]
Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit [Nirvana]
Our Lady Peace - The Needle And The Damage Done [Neil Young]
kHz - Always On My Mind [Christopher/James/Thompson]
Luna - Sweet Child o' Mine [Guns N' Roses]
Sarah Brightman - Moon River [Mercer/Mancini]

Nikhil
2006-05-08, 16:21
gosh .. its hard to come up with these when you are put on the spot. To start

the beatles - twist and shout
fiona apple - across the universe
alison krauss - i will
holly cole - i can see clearly now
kirsty macoll - days
eva cassidy - songbird

honourable mention

sarah brightman - a whiter shade of pale
the bangles - hazy shade of winter
tom jones - kiss (i had to throw this in :))

will update as they come to me

Nikhil

Jez
2006-05-08, 19:26
this has just reminded me of the fact that I'd love to find the album with the version of 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' by King Curtis that plays across credits of 'Withnail & I' . . any ideas?

Skunk
2006-05-08, 19:36
Johnny Cash doing Hurt* on -American iv -the man comes around-

Garcia, Grisman, and Rice doing doing So What** on -The Pizza Tapes-

honorable mention:

Patricia Barber, doing She's A Lady*** on -Modern Cool-

* NIN
** Miles Davis
*** Tom Jones

EDIT: sorry for the repeat of 'hurt' TCM, and EQ :-)

snarlydwarf
2006-05-08, 19:38
Does 'Hitler Was a Vegetarian' from the Residents' Third Reich and Roll count as a cover to half of the 60's songs in one piece?

zooropa320
2006-05-09, 07:59
The Wallflowers - Heroes from the Godzilla soundtrack, better than Bowie's original version IMO

4 great covers from Nirvana's Unplugged album:
The Man Who Sold The World (David Bowie)
Oh Me (Meat Puppets)
Lake Of Fire (Meat Puppets)
Where Did You Sleep Last Night (I have a version by Leadbelly which I think is the original, but not positive)

Bob Dylan - You Belong To Me from the Natural Born Killers soundtrack (I wish the cd didn't include the movie dialog at the end of the track). I think this was originally recorded in the 50's by Jo Stafford, The Dupress did a doo wop version in the 60s as well.

Billy Idol's version of Mony, Mony is pretty good (originally done by Tommy James & the Shondells)

Anthrax - Auf Wiedersehen (bonus track on The Sound of White Noise reissue). Cheap Trick recorded it originally.

Chantal Kreviazuk does a nice version of Peter, Paul & Mary's Leaving on a Jet Plane on the Armageddon soundtrack. Can't say that I prefer it vs. the original though.

William Shatner (with some help from Ben Folds) does a great version of Pulp's Common People on his Has Been album. Really, I'm not kidding.

Browny
2006-05-09, 08:33
Got to be Scissor Sisters / Comfortably Numb.

MrC
2006-05-09, 09:56
Love and Rocket's cover of "Ball of Confusion" by The Temptations.

Annie Lennox covering "A Thin Line Between Love and Hate", by "The Persuaders".

MrC
2006-05-09, 10:17
Perhaps one of the original covers - All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix.

I've never heard the original Bob Dylan version.

Are we witnessing one of those "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" statements... :-)

Musicians have been interpreting (covering) other peoples music for time immemorial.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-09, 10:26
Are we witnessing one of those "Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" statements... :-)

Musicians have been interpreting (covering) other peoples music for time immemorial.

Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings? (What's "Wings"?)

You are right, of course, I'll edit.

Philip Meyer
2006-05-09, 14:14
Oh my... So many to chose from.

I've been listening to a podcast called Coverville - very much a love/hate thing. Each podcast is about 30mins, and there's 2-3 episodes a week.

Tori Amos' version of American Pie is quite different. I remember turning up at a concert and she opened with American Pie/Smells Like Teen Spirit - totally different.

Some of my favourite covers are:
Tori Amos - A Case Of You / Strange Fruit / Angie
Frenté - Bizarre Love Triange
The Australian Doors Show - Stairway to Heaven
Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better

One of the worst I've heard is:
Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb

Phil

Philip Meyer
2006-05-09, 14:20
>Heather Nova does a nice version of Wicked Game on her last album
>(Redbird).
>
>It is rather close to the original, but I still like it ;) The song
>fit's Heather Nova's style.

I love Heather Nova, but I didn't think much of that cover actually. The original is so well done, and the cover is just a straight copy that doesn't quite sound right.

But you have reminded me of another fantastic cover: Katherine Williams - Hallelujah from the album "Relations".

Phil

Philip Meyer
2006-05-09, 14:24
>Got to be Scissor Sisters / Comfortably Numb.

Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick!

Phil

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-09, 17:09
Moby - Temptation (New Order)

I'm not sure who sings on this, but it's amazing - deep, breathy female vocals. Ethereal.

kbeast
2006-05-09, 20:50
oh man, I totally forgot, Tool redid Led Zeppelin's No Quarter. Its excellent.

eq72521
2006-05-10, 09:25
oh man, I totally forgot, Tool redid Led Zeppelin's No Quarter. Its excellent.

I forgot about that as well, and am a fan of both. I may have to rework my covers mix CD noted previously.

jonheal
2006-05-10, 10:31
Dixie Chicks doin' Landslide

TimothyB
2006-05-10, 12:57
The mention of William Shatner got me thinking of the Golden Throats CD. I'll be ripping it for my SB3 soon - I'm up to the letter 'U' - various artists comes after the alphabet in my collection.

For covers, my favorites:

- "Sunday Bloody Sunday" done by Bobbie Jo Erikson in a more traditional style - harp and voice

- *any* cover done by Michael Hedges. If only I could get a good recording of him doing "Buffalo Stance" ("Ladies and gentlemen I'd like to introduce the acoustic guitar"). I remember seeing him in concert doing covers of "Love Bizarre" and "Age of Aquarius" - and mixing them! It was awesome.

And oddly enough, I like Doro's version of "Whiter Shade of Pale".

-- Timothy

bdelp
2006-05-12, 07:45
Clint Black - Desperado
Actually every song from: Common Thread - The Songs Of The Eagles,
is great.

aubuti
2006-05-12, 08:36
Hmm, so many come to mind, but a few favorites are:

Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer: Redemption Song (Bob Marley)
The Clash: Police & Thieves (Junior Murvin)
Elvis Costello & The Attractions: What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding (originally performed by the band Brinsley Schwarz)

Jez
2006-05-12, 17:03
Clint Black - Desperado
Actually every song from: Common Thread - The Songs Of The Eagles,
is great.

When I just glanced at your posting I thought it was Cilla Black covering Desperado! I guess that means it's time to take a break from staring at the screen?

Brian Ritchie
2006-05-12, 17:56
I tend to like them most when they're a million miles away from the original; so...

Magazine - Goldfinger (Shirley Bassey)
Tori Amos - I'm Not In Love (10cc) (closely followed by her Eminem cover)
Yes - America (Simon & Garfunkel)

There are some great covers on the 1Love compilation for Warchild; for sheer depth of variation from the original, my favourite is Jimmy Eat World's version of the Prodigy's Firestarter.

Which reminds me of Suede's cover of Shipbuilding (Elvis Costello / Robert Wyatt) on the first Help album.

And for sheer silliness value:

"Rodeohead" - an upbeat bluegrass medley of Radiohead songs.
Elbow - Independent Woman (Destiny's Child) Honest, I didn't connect this to the original for ages, until I was listening to the original during an exercise class. Everyone wondered why I started laughing!

cepheid
2006-05-12, 22:02
Though I'm sure die-hard fans will kill me, I think Catherine Wheel's cover of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" (track 2 on the "Like Cats and Dogs" album) is great. On the same album, they also cover Rush's "Spirit of Radio" on a hidden "bonus" track, but that cover is rather crappy. =)

Ra does a pretty good cover of The Police's "Everything She Does" and it's enjoyable, but while it's fairly accurate, it's not *all* that exciting.

TCM
2006-05-13, 00:53
I'm not really a Cardigans fan (although I'm swedish), but they really made "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Black Sabbath their own song.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:xmeb97bkkrht

joncourage
2006-05-13, 09:31
lots of stuff from the first couple of Zep albums, some Allman Bros stuff (e.g. One Way Out), some Stevie Ray Vaughan (Texas Flood, Boot Hill, Leave My Little Girl Alone, etc), some Stones (eg Stop Breaking Down), most of the covers of Tom Waits songs turn out pretty good (Downtown Train, Jockey Full of Bourbon, Temptation, etc).

CardinalFang
2006-05-13, 14:47
I'll add my vote for Hurt by Johnny Cash as well, plus:

Crying - k.d.lang, although that was a duet with Orbison
superstition - Eric Roche, an solo acoustic guitar version of the Stevie Wonder song
heard it through the grapevine - Antonio Forcione, another solo scoustic guitar masterpiece
You've lost that loving feeling - Human League, just because it reminds me of my college days
Hard to Handle - Black Crowes, a great rock 'n' roll song
Take me home Country Roads - Toots and Maytals, I never heard the original until a few years ago
Everything I Own - Ken Booth, a pop reggae classic
Police and Thieves - the Clash
I can't get no satisfaction - Devo
Let's spend the night together - David Bowie

I'll have to trawl through my library because I'm sure there's some more in there!

Philip Meyer
2006-05-14, 13:02
Just remembered a couple of electronic music covers worth mentioning:

Global Communication do a great cover of Tangerine Dream's Love On A Real Train (actually two versions - a long and short version).

Astralasia's version of Porcupine Tree's Voyage 34 is really good too.

Phil

zaphod
2006-05-14, 14:15
Utter noob here.....and first post ever!

Todd Rundgren's cover of The Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" from the first side of "Faithful". That side was all covers of tunes that were popular when he broke into the music biz. It sounds so much like the original it's scary. In fact, it was released in the mid-70s, and everyone thought it was the Beach Boys.

The Dickies cover of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid". Fastest version ever done. And almost as great as their cover of the Banana Splits "Theme song"....probably the most covered cover of the early 80's.

Reel Big Fish's "Brown-Eyed Girl".....the ska version!

Of course Devo's version of "(Can't Get No) Satisfaction".

Camper Van Beethoven's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men".

-z
______
"Ford, there's an infinite number of monkeys here, and they want to talk to you about this script for "Hamlet" they've worked up."

joncourage
2006-05-14, 19:36
welcome zaphod (eaten at the restaurant at the end of the universe lately?).

someone earlier said Sweet Jane/Cowboy Junkies.

I'll second that and add Walking After Midnight also by CJs.

sugarmonster
2006-05-15, 11:16

I was about to launch into a "Covers, Pah, All junk, Can't they do something original" rant when I saw this.... and realised I agree with two of them! I think it's got something to do with liking the first one you heard.

Unfortunately someone also mentioned William Shatner and that got me to thinking about his "Lucy in the sky with Diamonds" which I thought I'd managed to erase from my memory forever...

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-15, 11:28
Unfortunately someone also mentioned William Shatner and that got me to thinking about his "Lucy in the sky with Diamonds" which I thought I'd managed to erase from my memory forever...

The horror, the horror!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7258896287489458266

Which reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qy-liaTi0E&search=baggins

Khuli
2006-05-16, 03:38
For recent releases it's got to be The Futureheads cover of Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love"

Fantastic!

ianjohnson_nz
2006-05-18, 02:37
Yeah me too - so bad I bought a compilation of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy songs. If you think William Shatner is bad, well Nimoy is terrible. Really a classic case of someone with too much money deciding that recording a few songs is a good idea. I guess the sound techs were sitting there the whole time thinking, it's $ man, it's $. He covers a number of songs including 'Where Is Love' (from the 'Oliver!' soundtrack - truly awful!) and 'Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town' and, 'I'd Love Making Love To You'.

Phew. Right well back to topic. Favourite covers:
"I Can See Clearly Now" by the Hothouse Flowers. I saw them in a tiny bar in Wellington, NZ, a few weeks ago and Liam's voice is still as good as it ever was in the 90's. Great, great band.

"Summertime" (i.e. the Gershwin standard) by Angelique Kidjo.

But my supreme award for best cover must go to Jeff Buckley (can't believe we've got to 50 posts without mentioning him), for his cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". Hey now there's a funny thing, I just found out that Johnny Marr and Morrissey co-wrote that song with Cohen.

Cheers, Ian

snarlydwarf
2006-05-18, 08:37
"Summertime" (i.e. the Gershwin standard) by Angelique Kidjo.

One of those songs I have 4 covers of:

Summertime (feat. Hubert Laws) by Morcheeba from Red Hot + Rhapsody: The Gershwin Groove
Summertime (feat. The Roots) by Bobby Womack from Red Hot + Rhapsody: The Gershwin Groove
Summertime by Peter Gabriel from The Glory of Gershwin
Summertime by Courtney Pine from The Glory of Gershwin

But my supreme award for best cover must go to Jeff Buckley (can't believe we've got to 50 posts without mentioning him), for his cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

Ah, yeah, that was the reason I bought his only planned album, Grace. He has several posthumous albums, but Grace is great just for Hallelujah.

John Cale also has a good cover of that on I'm Your Fan, though the tempo is a bit rushed.

Kyle
2006-05-18, 08:43
One of those songs I have 4 covers of:

Summertime (feat. Hubert Laws) by Morcheeba from Red Hot + Rhapsody: The Gershwin Groove
Summertime (feat. The Roots) by Bobby Womack from Red Hot + Rhapsody: The Gershwin Groove
Summertime by Peter Gabriel from The Glory of Gershwin
Summertime by Courtney Pine from The Glory of Gershwin

Aaron Neville does a pretty good rendition on his new (I think) CD, "Nature Boy." My all-time favorite is Billy Stewart's.

How about Bonnie Raitt's cover of Del Shannon's "Runaway?"

TCM
2006-05-18, 10:33
But my supreme award for best cover must go to Jeff Buckley (can't believe we've got to 50 posts without mentioning him), for his cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah".

Ah, yeah, that was the reason I bought his only planned album, Grace. He has several posthumous albums, but Grace is great just for Hallelujah.

Sorry! I forgot that one. It definitely gets my vote too.

Hey now there's a funny thing, I just found out that Johnny Marr and Morrissey co-wrote that song with Cohen.

Cheers, Ian

I've never heard that before. Where did you read it?

oreillymj
2006-05-18, 11:49
My current favourite is Beck's cover of Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes from the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack. A great song for a great film. Closely followed by Ian Brown's cover of Jacko's Billie Jean

ntom
2006-05-20, 16:11
the Lemonheads cover of 'Mrs Robinson'......

MKS
2006-05-21, 01:34
The Bad Plus - Flim (Aphex Twin)
Nouvelle Vague - Love will tear us apart (Joy Division)
Eric Roche - Jump (Van Halen)
Anything by Alex Skolnick but especially War Pigs (Black Sabbath)
Anthrax - Bring tha noize (Public Enemy)
Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal (Michael Jackson)
Brad Mehldau - Blackbird (Beatles)
David Gray - Say hello wave goodbye (Soft Cell)
Eva Cassidy - Over the rainbow
Hem - Jackson (Johnny Cash & June Carter)
KT Tunstall (solo) - I want you back (Jackson 5)
The Moog Cookbook - Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden)
Brian Bromberg - Come together (Beatles)
Sylvain Luc & Bireli Lagrene - Time after time (Cyndi Lauper)

fathom39
2006-05-21, 07:42
Ugly Kid Joe - Cat's In The Cradle

Can't say I "love" it but they did a good job with it.

grcooper
2006-05-21, 14:28
Stevie Ray's "Little Wing"

-gary

CardinalFang
2006-05-21, 15:07
Stevie Ray's "Little Wing"

Oh yes! The sound of the amplifier buzz at the start raises the hairs at the back of my neck. He's there in the room with you on a good system.

ajmitchell
2006-06-12, 12:39
OK, it was great to see everyone else's suggestions. I tend to collect cover songs I put them into a playlist in itunes for convenience and ranking etc. Currently I am upto 372 cover versions.....and I only keep the versions I like!! (BTW, these are a wierd combination of "sounds nothing like the original" and "beats the original." Covers can cross all musical styles of course but there isn't too much point just replicating the original is there?

er...sorry about no. 3 on the list btw ;)
R
Alex

Ps. I tried to post the full PDF file but receiving the followinfg "Your file of 290.7 KB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 19.5 KB for this filetype."

Its no problems printing it out here. I present my top 50 cover songs

Mad World (Tears for Fears Cover) Michael Andrews
Stand By Me (Ben E King Cover) 4 The Cause
My Perogative (Bobby Brown Re-Cover) Britney Spears
Down under (acoustic guitar Men At Work Cov... Colin Hay
Behind The Mask (Phillinganes Cover) Eric Clapton
Son of a Gun (I Betcha Think This Song Is Ab... Janet Jackson
Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode Cover) Johnny Cash
Love will tear us apart (cover) Jose Gonzalez
Perfect Day (Re-Cover) Lou Reed & Vari
Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper Re-Cover) Novaspace
Ode To Billy Joe (Cover) Patricia Barber
California (2005 Original Re-cover) Phantom Planet
Feelin Good (Cover) The Pussycat Do
Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Withers Re-Cover) 4 The Cause
How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore (Princ... Alicia Keys
Don't You (Forget About Me) (Simple Minds C... Billy Idol
Girls (Cyndi Lauper Cover) Cam'ron feat. Mo
Dream On (aerosmith Cover) Dio and Yngwie
The Boys Of Summer (Don Henley Cover) DJ Sammy
Light My Fire The Doors
The Word (Sample from Greese) Dope Smugglaz
Imagine (Acoustic Cover Lenon) Eva Cassidy
Time After Time (Acoustic Cover) Eva Cassidy
Irresistible Chick (Prince Cover) Eve
What's Luv? (Tina Turner Re-cover) Fat Joe, Ja Rule
We Have All The Time In The World (Cover) Fun Lovin' Crimin
Miss Sarajevo George Michael
Living in The Past (Cover) The Gift
Fall at your feet (Crowded House Acoustic Co... James Blunt
In Dreams (Lord of the Rings Cover) Joseph McMann
Diamonds From Sierra Leone (Shirley Basse... Kanye West
What A Wonderful World (Lous Amstrong With... Kenny G
Mad World (Michael Andres, Gary Jules) (pian... The Key Session
Father (George Michael Cover) LL Cool J
Rise (Cover) Mr. Vegas
From a Distance (Cover) Nanci Griffith
Saturday Night`s Alright (For Fighting) (Elton J... Nickelback
Norweigan Wood (Beatles Cover) PM Dawn
History Repeating (Featuring Miss Shirley Ba... Propellerheads
Where Da Boogie At (Kool & the Gang Cover) R.O.C.
Sign 'O The Times Simple Minds
Tainted Love (Single Version) (Gloria Jones C... Soft Cell
Nothing Compares 2 U (Cover) Stereophonics
Baby, It's Cold Outside (Re-Cover with Cerys ... Tom Jones
Dancing In The Moonlight (King Harvest Cover) Toploader
Satellite Of Love (Acoustic Lou Reed Cover) U2
Light My Fire (Cover) Will Young
Papa Was A Rolling Stone (Re-cover) 4 The Cause
Freak Like Me (Original of Cover) Adina Howard
Love me Right (oh Sheila cover) Angel City FeaT.
California Girls The Beach Boys
A Minha Menina (Os Mutantes Cover) The Bees
Perhaps, Perhaps , Perhaps (Cover) Cake
Dream A Little Dream Of Me (Cover) Carly Simon
Feel the Need in Me Detroit Emeralds
Radio ga ga (Cover) Electric six

axiomatic
2006-06-14, 21:20
Joy Division's "New Dawn Fades" covered by Moby (I prefer the version on the excellent _Means to an End_ tribute disc to the iffy live arrangement on DVD)

French cover of The Cure, "Close To Me," by -M-

Elvis Costello's "All This Useless Beauty" covered by Lush

The Supreme's album _We Remember Sam Cooke_, esp. "You Send Me"

Has nobody yet mentioned Talking Heads covering Al Green's "Take Me to the River"?

The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy cover of "California Uber Alles" (Dead Kennedys) stands out on the fine Virus 100 collection on the Alternative Tentacles label--which also has nice turns also by Nomeansno, Sister Double Happiness, Napalm Death, and L7.

So much music...

smc2911
2006-06-17, 01:40
Stairway to Heaven, by Rolf Harris

The Australian Doors Show - Stairway to Heaven
Ahh yes. Back the late 80s, Andrew Denton (an Australian comedian, now more focus on the in-depth interview) had a show called "The Money or the Gun". Each show featured a cover of Stairway to Heaven. The "best" of them made it to CD and a video. I have to confess I have both. Here is the CD listing:

1. Kate Cebrano and the Ministry of Fun
2. John Paul Young
3. Pardon Me Boys
4. Nick Barker and the Reptiles
5. Rolf Harris
6. The Australian Doors Show
7. Sandra Hahn And Michael Turkic
8. Helen Jones
9. Robyne Dunn
10. Neil Pepper (Elvis)
11. The Rock Lobsters
12. Toys Went Beserk
13. Jodie Gillies
14. The Beatnix
15. The Fargone Beauties
16. Etcetera Theatre Company
17. Judi Connelli
18. Barry Crocker and the Doug Anthony Allstars
19. Vegemite Reggae
20. The Whipper Snappers
21. Sydney Philharmonia
22. Leonard Teale

The video also has Friends of the Castanet Club, Bob Downe and The Jeff Duff Orchestra. The Beatnix are a Beatles tribute band and The Rock Lobsters a B-52s tribute band. Most of this stuff is for amusement value only, but I'd have to agree that The Australian Doors Show version is the best: they have you convinced Stairway was originally by The Doors.

Other covers worth a mention:

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Heartattack and Vine (Tom Waits)
They Might Be Giants - 25 O'Clock (The Dukes of Stratosphear - a.k.a. XTC)
The Flying Lizards - What's New Pussy Cat (various, composed Burt Bacharach)
The Beautiful South - Blitzkrieg Bop (The Ramones)
The Residents - It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World (James Brown)

ajmitchell
2006-06-17, 10:41
Hi Again,

I have updated my list of cover songs from itunes, count is now just over 400. Unfortunately I cannot post the list easily here. If anyone wants a PDF copy please email me directly on neuropsychiatry at gee mail dot com

Alex

water
2006-06-18, 10:11
Busta Rhymes : Iron Man (This Means War) (originally by Black Sabbath)

Seigmen : Hjernen er Alene (originally by DeLillos)

WE : Cherry Red (originally by The Groundhogs)

and a bunch of others I can't remember just now...

:water

strapats
2006-06-20, 12:38
this has just reminded me of the fact that I'd love to find the album with the version of 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' by King Curtis that plays across credits of 'Withnail & I' . . any ideas?

Unfortunately, i've never watched Withnail & I, but it's probably from "live at filmore west" (1971). The album is worth your while anyway. If you like King Curtus that is.

sfraser
2006-07-07, 09:06
IMO the best cover song has to be

The Gourds cover of Snoop Dog's "Gin and Juice"
If you have not heard it, download and give a listen, I'm not a rap fan or bluegrass fan, or for that matter a big Snoop dog fan, but the Gourds bluegrass version is amazing, it has to be one of the most "catchy" tunes I have ever heard. My kids love it....although I'm not to fond of my 13 year old daughter walking around the house singing "I got the bitch's in the living room, and their making me hornnnny" But what can you do?

Scott

MrSinatra
2006-07-07, 14:04
i got a bunch to name, more rare than most of whats listed here, but it would take me forever to do so... i might do something later.

till then, check out this website, its amazing. i'll also ask a friend about some sites he knows of where its either covers of metal songs, or metal covering songs. i'm not a metalhead really, but i LOVE when metal covers a classic rock song.

http://www.coversproject.com/

btw, the austrailian doors show cover (already mentioned) is mindblowing, and the cardigans also covered "iron man" not just sabbath bloody sabbath.

MrSinatra
2006-07-07, 23:48
use this to see the A's

http://home.wanadoo.nl/spearhead/covers/covers_a.htm

change the a to b or whatever at the end of the url to see the rest of the letters.

the other site which was better my friend knew of is alas no more.

my station also has an inventory of songs listed online, but u have to find the covers yourself:

http://www.lion-radio.org/shows/syf/inventory.php

and of course the ultimate reference:

http://www.allmusic.com/

NookZ
2006-07-17, 08:06
Reel Big Fish - Take On Me (a-ha)
The Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain - "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee" (Ms Dynamite)
Jose Feliciano - "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" (Rolling Stones)
Nirvana - Man Who Sold THe World (David Bowie)

Volition
2006-07-20, 20:36
Only One springs to Mind.

And it is all that matters to Me!

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing

cbemoore
2006-07-27, 08:30
It would be unfair not to mention Sinead O'Conner's Nothing Compares 2U.

Craig

Is that a cover? I know it was written by Prince, but I thought he wrote it especially for Sinead to perform?

One of my favourite covers is Finley Quaye's "Sunday Shining". WAY better than the Bob Marley original, IMHO....

cbemoore
2006-07-27, 08:38
Is that a cover? I know it was written by Prince, but I thought he wrote it especially for Sinead to perform?

Doh! I'm wrong as usual! It was written by Prince, originally performed by "The Family" (no, I hadn't heard of them either), and then covered by Sinead 5 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Compares_2_U

MrSinatra
2006-07-27, 11:48
prince has his own version as well.

tranandy
2006-12-12, 18:16
Mad World - Gary Jule
I shot the sheriff - Eric Clapton
knockin on heaven's door - G'n'R
everlasting love - U2
I fought the law - the clash
Walk this way - run dmc
Can't help falling into love - UB40
California girls - David lee roth
Wild night - Mellencamp
Tainted love - Soft cell
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
The man who sold the world - Nirvana
Take a chance on me - Erasure
All along the watch tower - Hendrix

stinkingpig
2006-12-16, 12:44
Nina Gordon: Straight Outta Compton
Camper van Beethoven: O Death, Pictures of Matchstick Men, Tusk (the whole album is pretty good in a love/hate sort of way)
Johnny Cash: Hurt
Two Nice Girls: I Feel (Like Makin') Love
Crash Test Dummies: Jingle Bells
Gary Jule: Mad World
Cyndi Lauper: Time after Time
Nirvana: Lake of Fire, Plateau, Oh Me, Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (frankly, most of Nirvana's good songs are covers... not that there's anything wrong with that)
R.E.M.: Femme Fatale
The Sundays: Wild Horses
Sinead O'Connor: Nothing Compares 2 U
Rufus Wainwright: The Origin of Love
Barbara Manning: End of the Rainbow
Devo: (Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The Dickies: Theme from Gigantor
The Pogues: The Leaving of Liverpool
Elvis Costello and the Attractions: Almost Blue (I really can't pick a favorite track, and the whole album is brilliant covers of classic country songs)
Seu Jorge: Life On Mars?, Rebel Rebel, Rock'n'Roll Suicide
Love and Rockets: Ball of Confusion
The Jam!: Batman Theme, In The Midnight Hour
Frente: Bizarre Love Triangle
Joe Cocker: The Letter, With A Little Help from my Friends, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Jimi Hendrix: All along The Watchtower
Elliott Smith: Because
Matthew Sweet: This Moment
Pearl Jam: Crazy Mary
Stray Cats: Somethin' Else, Twenty Flight Rock
The Rolling Stones: Ain't Too Proud to Beg, You Gotta Move, Sister Morphine

I could keep on going, but I'd better do something else with my weekend :)

gusi
2006-12-16, 22:57
There are so many but I play these a lot the last few months:

Johnny Cash, One, Solitary Man from American recordings 3

Cassandra Wilson, Strange Fruit, Love is and her Robert Johnson covers.

Skunk
2006-12-17, 14:20
I'll submit the Talking Head's 'Take me to the River' written by The Reverend Al Green, Nirvana's 'Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam' by The Vaselines, and Johnny Cash's 'Personal Jesus' by Depeche Mode.

Phil Leigh
2006-12-21, 03:57
I Don't Need No Doctor - Harvey Mandel (from Games Guitars Play)
First I Look At The Purse - J Geils Band (Live Full House)
You Keep Me Hangin' On - Vanilla Fudge (Psychedelic Sundae)
House Of The Rising Sun - Frijid Pink
Kentucky Woman - Deep Purple
(too many to mention really)

hunta
2007-01-09, 06:48
Baker Street (Jerry Rafferty) meets the Foo Fighters. A sublime combo!

funkstar
2007-01-25, 04:19
For anyone that likes interesting covers, you might want to have a listen to Cover Lovers on BBC 6Music on Saturday morning. 10:00 London time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/events/covers/

it will be on listen again for a week if you miss it.

Also Phill Jupitus has been getting people to text and email in with their own suggestions of bizarre covers. He is a great fan of foreign language covers. Especially German ones it seems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/phill_jupitus/

smc2911
2007-01-25, 04:46
Tainted love - Soft cell
Or, for a very different approach, there's Coil (http://www.last.fm/music/Coil)'s version of Tainted Love.

Jez
2007-01-25, 18:11
Two Nice Girls: I Feel (Like Makin') Love

I'm glad to see Two Nice Girls get a mention - their Like a Version EP is a fave of mine. Although the only non-cover on there (I Spent My Last $10.00 (on Birth Control & Beer)) is the best track for the lyrics alone.

stovis
2007-01-25, 21:13
Peter Murphy - Final Solution (Pere Ubu)

snarlydwarf
2007-01-25, 21:31
anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

alZmtbr
2007-01-26, 19:56
From WikiPedia - The song has been covered, either in live performance or on a recording, by at least 97 different artists including Miles Davis, DJ Sammy, Dilana, Everything But the Girl, Eddie Money, The Hooters, Matchbox Twenty, Maria Taylor, INOJ, Lil' Mo, The Kreep, Blaque, Eva Cassidy, Willie Nelson, Uncle Kracker, Distant Soundz, the Gandharvas, Joey McIntyre, Nichole Nordeman, Patti LuPone, Sugar Ray, Spoken, Gameface, Quietdrive, TRUSTcompany, Natalie, Cassandra Wilson, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and Frank White.

egd
2007-01-27, 17:50
For those of you interested there is a seemingly comprehensive cover songs database @ http://www.secondhandsongs.com/

Enjoy!

martman
2007-01-30, 16:37
My favorite cover has to be "Crimson and Clover" - Joan Jett
edit:
How could I forget:
I Heard it Through the Grape Vine - The Slits (probably the most overlooked band of the early punk era)

Nostromo
2007-01-30, 18:02
Long time man - Nick Cave and the bad seeds. A Tim Rose cover.

drewe181
2007-01-31, 01:35
anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

here here!

chiefersone
2007-01-31, 11:49
Man I remember loving Joan Jett Crimson and Clover too

peejay
2007-02-13, 03:41
This female marvel covers, believe it or not, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes. Do this one with headphones......off her Strange Little Girls album, which, by the way, is all covers. A must for Tori fans.

JBIreland
2007-02-13, 05:02
I have to add the Beautiful South's album of covers, "Golddiggas, Headnodders & Pholk Songs", which has some excellent covers, but I really love what they did to the Grease song "You're the one that I want". They took a song I really thought was rubbish and turned it into something mature. They also did an 7 club seven track and an excellent version of Don't Fear the Reaper that probably wouldn't annoy the Blue Oyster Club.

tomsi42
2007-02-13, 16:46
I have just discovered the Finish group Nightwish. They do a decent version "Over the hills" (Gary Moore), and that one kicks *butt*. If it is better than the original r not, I am not 100% decided yet. But it is good. They also do a version of Pink Floyd's "High hopes". Also worth a listen.

Tom

PS. Their own stuff very good.

Phil Leigh
2007-02-20, 12:07
I have to add the Beautiful South's album of covers, "Golddiggas, Headnodders & Pholk Songs", which has some excellent covers, but I really love what they did to the Grease song "You're the one that I want". They took a song I really thought was rubbish and turned it into something mature. They also did an 7 club seven track and an excellent version of Don't Fear the Reaper that probably wouldn't annoy the Blue Oyster Club.

You're right - it didn't annoy me at all. It's really hard to ruin a great song. The rest of the album is great too IMHO.

EasilyConfused
2007-03-22, 08:31
I'm a big fan of the cover.It doesn't even have to be that great or radical,I just like to hear alternative versions of much loved songs. It makes a nice change - I'm easily pleased as well as EasilyConfused! I particularly approve of a total dismantling of a complex production/arrangement that makes you go...Wow!..Thats a SONG!
For example....
'Here comes the Sun' by Nina Simone - Awesome,sublime,perfect.
'I'm a believer' by Robert Wyatt
'Radiation Vibe' by Hem

EasilyConfused
2007-03-22, 10:03
http://www.coversproject.com/

...lets you see which songs an artist/band has covered....and who has covered them.

Club1820
2007-06-03, 23:42
I guess you have to mention the Johnny Cash cover of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails

And his cover of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus"

autopilot
2007-06-04, 01:50
This is quite entertaining and worth a look - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosmosonica-Crazy-Covers-Vol-1/dp/B0008KLVQO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-7672175-3748429?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180946917&sr=8-1

WhaleOil
2007-06-21, 16:54
Sorry to extend a really long thread, but I really rate Midge Ure's version of No Regrets above the Walker Brothers. Also my wife and I have raging battles over the merits of the versions of Suspicious Minds by Elvis and the Fine Young Cannibals. Cast me down to hell if you will, but I prefer the FYC version....