PDA

View Full Version : Installation of new SB3

Minora
2006-05-06, 08:32
I am having problems getting my SB3 to see my slim server

During set up, the SB detects the wireless network and gets connected. It finds an IP address - this is different from the PC address where the slim server runs?

I am then asked to select a music source - I select the IP address it has found. I get the message setup complete - but it then fails to connect to the slim server.

If I try manually entering the IP address the SB expects 12 digits, but the PC's IP address has 10. How do I enter 10 digits correctly assuming that this is the problem

I have also tried, without success, with all firewalls disabled.

My Slim server does not detect the SB either

What am I doing wrong or am I not doing

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-06, 08:51
During set up, the SB detects the wireless network and gets connected. It finds an IP address - this is different from the PC address where the slim server runs?

Yes, your server will have one address and the SB3 will have another different one, although in the same subnet. For example, 192.168.1.2 for the server and 192.168.1.10 for the SB3. Note the "192.168.1" part is common.

I am then asked to select a music source - I select the IP address it has found. I get the message setup complete - but it then fails to connect to the slim server.

What is the IP address it obtains? Is it 192.168.1.something or 169.something? The 192 address is correct, the 169 address is a fallback address indicating the SB3 didn't get anything from the wireless router.

If I try manually entering the IP address the SB expects 12 digits, but the PC's IP address has 10. How do I enter 10 digits correctly assuming that this is the problem

Just use leading zeros. For 192.168.1.5, use 192.168.001.005.

Note don't use the same address on your SB3 as on your PC. The SB3 should have its own unique address.

I have also tried, without success, with all firewalls disabled.

Unfortunately some firewalls think they will be smart and will still run even after they are disabled. They have to be completely uninstalled.

You shouldn't have to do this though, SlimServer runs fine with many types of firewalls, although Norton seems to be problematic.

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

Minora
2006-05-06, 09:16
I appreciate the reply.
Did figure out the leading zeroes by reading the tips a bit more carefully. The IP address found begins with 169 - which I guess is not too good based on what you say.

I have tried again by manually entering the IP address of the PC where the slime server resides. Still not connected.

I will try and disable the Norton Firewall again

Any other suggestion?

BTW how long should it take to scan hte music library om my pc

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-06, 09:26
I appreciate the reply.
Did figure out the leading zeroes by reading the tips a bit more carefully. The IP address found begins with 169 - which I guess is not too good based on what you say.

Check the wiki guide I posted. 169 indicates an issue communicating with your router.

Are you connecting with no encryption, WEP or WPA? Double, triple and quadruple-check the passphrase if you're using one. It's very easy to get wrong.

Also what router are you using? The SB3s are probably still shipped with SB firmware 28. This version had issues communicating with certain routers. If you're using SlimServer version 6.2.2 (official release), it contains firmware 48 which addresses most of these communication issues.

To update your router firmware, temporarily connect your SB3 to your router using a patch cable (one probably came with your router). Go through setup, specifying a wired connection. When you connect to SlimServer, it will ask you to hold the BRIGHTNESS button to update the firmware.

BTW how long should it take to scan hte music library om my pc

How many tracks? Most scans take less than 5 minutes to complete. I have 2400 tracks with a lot of album artwork and it takes about 3 minutes for a complete scan.

Minora
2006-05-06, 09:59
Many thanks
I wired it up and it worked like a dream and is now running wirlessly. Library scan has been running for hours!
Only about 1200 titles

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-06, 10:18
Many thanks
I wired it up and it worked like a dream and is now running wirlessly.

That's good!

For the education of others, would you mind saying if it did go through a firmware update, are you using DHCP, what kind of router and encryption? Also what kind of firewall and is it still running with the firewall?

Library scan has been running for hours!
Only about 1200 titles

That's bad!

Do you have any shortcuts in your music folder that are obsolete or point back to themselves? Do you have very long playlists or playlists with obsolete items or items that refer to themselves?

Minora
2006-05-06, 11:12
I followed your instructions
I connected directly to my router, which is a Linksys WRT54G v2
Used DHCP
It went through a firmware update and it is 64bitWEP encryption
The firewall is up and running - Norton.
It all worked first time.
I then disconnected the ethernet connection and went through the set up for wirless - no problems this time. During the process I left the firewall up.

Regarding the playlist it's all recently loaded into itunes! I've stopped it and restarted but it is still scanning away.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-06, 11:31
I followed your instructions
I connected directly to my router, which is a Linksys WRT54G v2
Used DHCP
It went through a firmware update and it is 64bitWEP encryption
The firewall is up and running - Norton.
It all worked first time.
I then disconnected the ethernet connection and went through the set up for wirless - no problems this time. During the process I left the firewall up.

Sounds good - thanks for the details.

At your leisure, you may want to try WPA or even WPA2. WEP can be cracked in seconds by anyone wanting to get in. WPA and WPA2 will work on that router - I've got a WRT54G v4 and I'm using WPA2.

The important thing is that it's up and running.

Regarding the playlist it's all recently loaded into itunes! I've stopped it and restarted but it is still scanning away.

Oho - iTunes. People seem to have a fair amount of issues with it and SlimServer.

I believe there's a setting you can change to make SlimServer not continuously search iTunes for changes like it's probably doing now.

I don't use iTunes so I'm not sure where the setting is, but explore around SlimServer's pages. I'd think it would be in the Server Settings section, possibly on the plugins page.

kdf
2006-05-06, 11:40
On 6-May-06, at 11:31 AM, Mark Lanctot wrote:
> Continuously search iTunes for changes like it's probably doing now.
>
> I don't use iTunes so I'm not sure where the setting is, but explore
> around SlimServer's pages. I'd think it would be in the Server
> Settings section, possibly on the plugins page.
>
server settings->iTunes.
set the itunes reload interval to something much larger than the 60
seconds.

if you are actually using itunes, then the data is always changing and
slimserver will retrigger. Ripping a CD for instance, takes much longer
than a single scan, so as each new track gets added, slimserver goes to
work.

-k

Minora
2006-05-06, 15:02
Thanks - all problems solved. iTunes library had been moved and slim server couldn't find it. Used the debug tools to learn what was happening.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-06, 16:55
Thanks - all problems solved. iTunes library had been moved and slim server couldn't find it. Used the debug tools to learn what was happening.

Awesome - enjoy!