PDA

View Full Version : Changing playlists on the fly

samus42
2006-05-06, 06:50
OK, got my playlists working from iTunes. I noticed when I have one playing, the slimserver displays the tracks in the playlist and has an option to move them up/down and remove.

My question is if I hit the remove button, does it only remove it for that current run of the playlist, or is it gone until slimserver rescans the playlist?

I ask because I figured for a party, I could just run my top rated playlist, shuffle it, and keep an eye out for songs that wouldn't fit and remove them for that run of the playlist, but if I ran it later, they would still be there.

Thanks!
-Scott MacDonald

Brian Ritchie
2006-05-09, 18:05
[...] if I hit the remove button, does it only remove it for that current run of the playlist, or is it gone until slimserver rescans the playlist?
The "current playlist" associated with each player is just the tracks that it's playing through. Changes you make to this aren't applied to any playlists in your SlimServer library (at least, not unless you hit the Save button, but that's a whole 'nother story).

I hope you realise that you're not restricted to adding a single playlist, but can add multiple playlists, whole albums, the odd single track, etc. etc. (You can also remove entire playlists, albums etc. from the current playlist - the beginnings of a "playlist algebra"!) So in general there isn't a single library playlist where SS could copy your changes. Also, SS doesn't rescan or reload any playlist into the current playlist.

I ask because I figured for a party, I could just run my top rated playlist, shuffle it, and keep an eye out for songs that wouldn't fit and remove them for that run of the playlist, but if I ran it later, they would still be there.

That's how it would work. Personally, I'd build a new "weeded" (library) playlist beforehand, either by editing a copy of the (library) playlist, or by emptying the current playlist, adding the "top rated" playlist, editing it, saving it to a new playlist, then playing that with Shuffle on at party time. But easier still, if you don't know in advance what's not going to work, there's always the Skip button!

-- Brian