PDA

View Full Version : Plays for Sure/Janus/WMP10/Subscription Music

fairyliquidizer
2006-05-06, 03:50
I know many or most of the regulars here are anti-DRM, and to some extent I agree. However I think their is a growing market for Microsoft Subscription DRM streaming. e.g. Napster, Yahoo Music Unlimited.

This may be a difficult problem for slimserver, although perhaps slimserver doesn't need to intervene.

Are there any plans to target this or other DRM systems?

I am mainly a CDDA Buyer, but have some Fairplay and use Napster as a music discovery/sampling tool. It also gives me a fix when I decide I must hear a track now and I don't own it.

Thanks,
Fairy

CouchPotatoe
2006-06-08, 06:14
Another aspect is that Rhapsody is not available to non US subscribers currently. Here in the UK the only service that offers you the ability to listen to music you haven't purchased (legally) is Napster - where effectively you can 'rent' a limitless library of music based only on maintaining your Napster subscription.

Whilst having Rhapsody support in SlimServer (v6.3) is great news I feel supporting overseas users with a similar type of service is really important and handling Napsters DRM ( as the Roku does, albeit via uPNP) would achieve this. I don't get the feeling Rhapsody will be in the UK anytime soon.

Of course having uPNP support in SlimServer would be another way around this too :-)

K

sheridan
2006-10-03, 03:10
So, has anyone found out how to stream music from Napster to my Squeezebox via Slimserver?

mkozlows
2006-10-03, 16:57
So, has anyone found out how to stream music from Napster to my Squeezebox via Slimserver?

No. And there's little point in Slim working on PlaysForSure functionality now that Microsoft has retreated back into an iTunes-style walled garden with Zune.