PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade

Janco
2006-05-02, 17:06
I'm not happy with slimserver 6.2.2 and went back to 6.2.1 because of frequent freezes. After downgrade the squeezebox still seems to be less stable than before. Would like to downgrade the firmware as well (to version 28) to get back the perfectly stable system I had a few days ago.

Where do I find old firmware and instructions on how to reinstall it?

Thanks, Jan

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-02, 17:15
Your firmware should automatically have downgraded when you went back to 6.2.1.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PlayerFirmware

Check SlimServer - Player Settings, bottom of the page. 6.2.2 has firmware 48. 6.2.1 has firmware 28.

On the player, you can check Settings - Information - Player Information, scroll down twice.

Janco
2006-05-02, 17:44
I don't really understand what is going on. I downgraded to slimserver 6.2.1, then restarted the server (and PC). I rebooted the squeezebox. Then I held the brightness button (although nothing prompted me to do so). A firmware upgrade started and terminated. Squeezebox rebooted, but ... instead of firmware 28 I still get the new one (48)???

Strange, isn't? Could I have overlooked something?

Jan

Janco
2006-05-03, 15:12
Managed to solve the problem by uninstalling slimserver, removing all slimserver data and reinstalling it again.
The first attemped failed, the second (after having taken the squeezebox from the mains) succeeded.
Everything is back to normal, no hangups, no scrolling problems (which I had with slimserver 6.2.2 and firmware 48).

Janco

Millwood
2006-05-03, 18:25
In my experience, you need to delete the Firmware subdirectory of the server directory in the install tree before you install a back level version to get the Firmware back level. That's probably easier than a full un-install.

Janco
2006-05-03, 23:15
I would have done if only I had known it existed. Next time I will follow your advice!

The SB did flash, but it appeared to flash the wrong firmware. However, I had no idea that the firmware was stored permanently on disk, so I didn't bother to look for "old" (in fact a more recent version) firmware there. Thought it was extracted from the downloaded executable. Still, I think there must be a flaw in the procedure.

Thanks a lot for this very useful information.

Janco