PDA

View Full Version : Multiple music locations?

mgraves
2006-05-02, 14:24
I have a server with all my music on it. I'd like to divide my files into two "trees"; one for FLAC and the other for MP3s. I hope to have an automated process create MP3s from the FLACs as I rip each CD. If a FLAC is available the I'd like system to ignore the MP3.

When I do this the Slimserver gets confused and reports the FLAC folder as an artist with a whole lotta albums.

Any way around this? What's the recommended practice?

Michael

kdf
2006-05-02, 14:37
Quoting mgraves <mgraves.2778jn1146605102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> When I do this the Slimserver gets confused and reports the FLAC folder
> as an artist with a whole lotta albums.

This sounds like you might have missing tags there. If no tags are
found, the server tries to guess based on filename and path.
Sometimes, this can result in a folder name being treated as an artist.

> Any way around this? What's the recommended practice?
Unfortunately, this ends up being a very complicated issue.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775

What you could try is to create the mp3's with permissions that make
the file not readable for slimserver. Other users create a link to
the mp3 files, and delete that link from the music folder when they no
longer want the files available to slimserver. Unfortunately, no
method is perfect, and they still require library rescans.
-k

ceejay
2006-05-02, 15:17
First, for ripping your CDs into two trees, I recommend EAC and MAREO... EAc is widely recommended and there are lots of notes in the wiki about setting it up. MAREO is a companion program designed especially to help you do multiple file conversions - I use it to create FLAC, MP3 and AAC trees. This way your tags should all come out properly which, as KDF suggests, should solve one of your problems.

If you have two trees always in sync then of course you just need to point slimserver at the head of the flac tree, so it never sees the MP3s at all.

If you have MP3s with no flac equivalent, then indeed it would be nice to have it look intelligently, but unfortunately you can't do this at the moment. As an interim, consider having a separate MP3 tree with jsut the stuff that has no FLAC equivalent, and then use links to make it appear in the slimserver library folder.

HTH

Ceejay