PDA

View Full Version : New Slim Devices product K.R.O.N.O.S.

Zten
2006-05-02, 13:18
Anybody notice the Slim Devices press release on Kronos from very early last month? :

http://www.slimdevices.com/au_press_kronos.html

I especially like the quotes from Richard Small (an "audiphile") and Seymour Brownshirt.

So even though Sean Adams likes to humor the Audiophile guys on the message board, maybe now we really know what he thinks about them.... :o)

dean
2006-05-02, 13:34
Richard Small also contributed to the original Dorku press release.
He is a long-time friend of the company.

-dean

iwp
2006-05-03, 05:01
The thing is... there is actually a real synergy between SlimDevices' product line and timekeeping. Honest. Bear with me on this one.

I guess like many people here, I have a couple of Squeezeboxes dotted around the house, and they use the default date/time screensaver. What's more, again like a fair few people, they're run off a computer which happens to regularly reset its time against a NTP time server.

Which means that my Squeezeboxes are the most accurate clocks in my house, timekeep almost perfectly, and automatically update themselves for daylight savings.

Okay, so it's a small thing. But when a system is well-architected, it's funny how little 'features' like this just drop out for free.

Ian

dean
2006-05-03, 08:33
We did consider, early in the development of K.R.O.N.O.S., offering a
wrist strap for the Squeezebox v3 to make it a portable network time
product, but we found that extra weight of the car battery we needed
to power it was not ergonomically appropriate. (Several of our beta
testers broke one or more of their arms.)

So we decided to redesign K.R.O.N.O.S. from the ground up to be the
best product in its category.

Zten
2006-05-03, 09:58
How does accuracy of SB network time compare to the accuracy of GPS time? If you own a CDMA cell phone on Sprint, Verzion, ALLTEL or US Cellular, it has CDMA network time which is derived from GPS. I set all my clocks to GPS time.... ;o)

radish
2006-05-03, 10:17
There is no "SB network time" - the SB displays the time of the machine running slimserver. Many people set those to take their time from public NTP servers (nothing to do with slim), which in turn are usually sourced from either GPS or ground based atomic clocks. In other words very, very accurate.

seanadams
2006-05-03, 10:26
GPS is quite a bit more accurate and reliable than NTP over the internet - precision is well under a microsecond as opposed to a few milliseconds, eg:

http://www.zyfer.com/gpstarplus.html

However, such products fail to deliver the wonderful wrist-mounted convenience of KRONOS.

eq72521
2006-05-03, 10:56
We did consider, early in the development of K.R.O.N.O.S., offering a
wrist strap for the Squeezebox v3 to make it a portable network time
product, but we found that extra weight of the car battery we needed
to power it was not ergonomically appropriate. (Several of our beta
testers broke one or more of their arms.)

So we decided to redesign K.R.O.N.O.S. from the ground up to be the
best product in its category.

If you had gone the other route, you'd have needed to change the display to LCD because as it turns out the SB3 is not sturdy enough to be a portable device, despite (apparently (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23509)) looking like it. :)

nicky6
2006-05-03, 11:09
DISCLAIMER: The terms "exactly", "soon" and "minutes" are subject "to change at any time."

X-D LOL!!!

bill fumerola
2006-05-03, 15:20
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 08:33:32AM -0700, dean blackketter wrote:
> We did consider, early in the development of K.R.O.N.O.S., offering a
> wrist strap for the Squeezebox v3 to make it a portable network time
> product, but we found that extra weight of the car battery we needed
> to power it was not ergonomically appropriate. (Several of our beta
> testers broke one or more of their arms.)

just as long as their arms broke and not the display...

-- bill

Michaelwagner
2006-05-03, 19:15
I did notice this quote

sports an intuitive rotary K.N.O.B. interface
I'm glad to see Slim designing knobs into their equipment, even if, for the moment at least, it's only their fantasy line.

Can we hope to see the expansion of knobs into other areas any time soon?

Michaelwagner
2006-05-04, 04:05
By the way, for the terminally curious, (or those of us with nothing better to do with our spare time) Ludo Spangenberger's email address isn't monitored - email to that address bounces.