PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze Crashing

MrGadget
2006-05-01, 05:17
Hi, I've been playing around with Slimserver and Softsqueeze to get an idea of how it works before buying a SB3 and I have a problem.

I get occassional crashes and when windows reboots it says the following:

"the size of the \windows\temp\sqlite_XXXXXXXXX entry is not valid"

What is causing this crash to occur?

I am running Slimserver 6.2.2 on a P3 PC with just under 0.5 Gb RAM. I intend to use this PC as a dedicated music streamer to a SB3 but these crashes don't inspire confidence in forking out the cash for the SB3. Please give suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Thanks.

radish
2006-05-01, 07:24
You're saying Windows itself is crashing? That's very unlikely to be anything to do with the Slim software.

MrGadget
2006-05-01, 14:10
Yes, Windows XP reboots. Win XP just had a clean re-install recently too.

stinkingpig
2006-05-01, 16:23
On 5/1/06, MrGadget <MrGadget.275dez1146518101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Yes, Windows XP reboots. Win XP just had a clean re-install recently
> too.

I can't think of a way for Slimserver or Softsqueeze to cause it -- both are
written in high-level languages with no access to the hardware, and you need
direct driver access to crash a box. What Java sound plugin are you using,
maybe it's got hardware access?

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

MrGadget
2006-05-01, 20:48
On 5/1/06, MrGadget <MrGadget.275dez1146518101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Yes, Windows XP reboots. Win XP just had a clean re-install recently
> too.

I can't think of a way for Slimserver or Softsqueeze to cause it -- both are
written in high-level languages with no access to the hardware, and you need
direct driver access to crash a box. What Java sound plugin are you using,
maybe it's got hardware access?

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Where do I check this?

MrStan
2006-05-02, 01:10
It sounds more like a hardware memory problem to me.

MrGadget
2006-05-03, 15:51
I ran chkdsk and it found errors

"the size of the \windows\temp\sqlite_XXXXXXXXX entry is not valid"

I tries fixing it but I think the problem remains.
My next plan of attack is to clean install XP again.

I did recently add a USB2.0 PCI card and I did have crashing problems straight after installing the card. It may be likely that when the XP finally recognised the new hardware it perhaps corrupted some sectors on the HDD.

The USB PCI card seems to work fine though.

radish
2006-05-03, 16:17
The disk problems are almost certainly due to the crashes - if the system dies while writing to disk (and you're not using NTFS) you'll get corruption. The underlying problem is a hardware instability caused by the USB card or it's drivers. Check for updates, if none exist, take the card out. Reinstalling windows will almost certainly be a waste of time and the longer you leave it the more likely you'll lose something important on the disk.

NWP
2006-05-03, 16:53
If WindowsXP is rebooting instead of showing you a blue screen when it crashes do this:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

(from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02may13.mspx)

This should give you a better idea what exactly is causing the crashes.

MrGadget
2006-05-03, 17:10
The disk problems are almost certainly due to the crashes - if the system dies while writing to disk (and you're not using NTFS) you'll get corruption. The underlying problem is a hardware instability caused by the USB card or it's drivers. Check for updates, if none exist, take the card out. Reinstalling windows will almost certainly be a waste of time and the longer you leave it the more likely you'll lose something important on the disk.

The PC is an old one that I was hoping to use in conjunction with a Squeezebox3, this will be its sole usage. I bought the PCI USB card because the motherboard in my PC only suports USB 1.1. I would have preffered to just stick a big HDD inside the PC (250GB) but it will only support upto ~130GB due to lack of 48bit addressing.

Hence I went the PCI USB2.0 card route. It does appear that after installing this problems have occurred.

However, the crashes also happen when I just use internet radio on softsqueeze (ie i don't even turn on the external HDD that is attached to the USB2.0 card)

I'll check for updated drivers for the USB card. I may have to re-install anyway because of the curruption. I'll ensure that I format with NTFS this time instead of FAT32.

I have no important data on this PC so I can do as many experiments as my patience will allow.

MrGadget
2006-05-03, 17:13
If WindowsXP is rebooting instead of showing you a blue screen when it crashes do this:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

(from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/russel_02may13.mspx)

This should give you a better idea what exactly is causing the crashes.

Ok i'll give it a try.

NWP
2006-05-03, 17:37
Personally, I'd go with 2000pro rather than XP on a computer that old if you have a copy lying around.

sfraser
2006-05-03, 18:06
I had a similar problem last week, I was trying to run softsqueeze on the same platform that my house hold slimserver is running on. I have done this many time. This time the platform froze with the Slim logo (softsqeeze) and then rebooted. I tried it again, same thing. I was in the middle of entertaining, and had to let the problem go, when I did try it again on the weekend it worked fine.

NWP
2006-05-03, 18:16
It would be a good idea to have winamp, windows media player or some other player that can play mp3 streams on hand. You would at least be able to tell if the problem is being caused by slimserver or softsqueeze.

MrGadget
2006-05-04, 04:28
Ok i'll give it a try.

I've done this and I have the blue screen of death (BSOD)

I get this message at the top of the screen:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Further down below 'Technical information'

***STOP: etc.........

*** tcpip.sys - Address .............blah blah blah

Softsqueeze was left to run and was not touched for about 3 tracks of an album before the BSOD showed up.

Anymore suggestions of what to do? Is is most likely the PCI USB card?

Upon reboot I get the same error about 'sqlite' so thw crash has corrupted the HDD again. I should do a clean XP install and format as NTFS to prevent these corruptions.

chiphart
2006-05-04, 06:25
MrGadget wrote:
> The PC is an old one that I was hoping to use in conjunction with a
> Squeezebox3, this will be its sole usage...

...if you're willing to experiment, why not load Fedora or
Ubuntu Linux on the box? Much more stable, etc. And free.

[Personally, I find Ubuntu a little, um, cooler these days but
the Fedora RPM installs of the slimserver are easier.]

You can even try this without touching your hd with the Slim CD:

http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763

Download the ISO, burn to CD, and boot from it.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

MrGadget
2006-05-04, 06:59
MrGadget wrote:
> The PC is an old one that I was hoping to use in conjunction with a
> Squeezebox3, this will be its sole usage...

...if you're willing to experiment, why not load Fedora or
Ubuntu Linux on the box? Much more stable, etc. And free.

[Personally, I find Ubuntu a little, um, cooler these days but
the Fedora RPM installs of the slimserver are easier.]

You can even try this without touching your hd with the Slim CD:

http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763

Download the ISO, burn to CD, and boot from it.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

Thanks for the suggestions but it doesn't solve my underlining problem of my PCI USB2.0 card causing crashes (fairly certain this card is causing the dramas.)

Anyway I have been playing around with the card and found a new driver for it. It seems to be running ok now without crashes, time wil tell though if it has really fixed my issues.

radish
2006-05-04, 07:04

It's telling you a driver crashed and caused the problem. As the USB2 card is already suspect, I'd say that's a slam dunk. There's nothing wrong with using a USB2 card in principle, but it seems this particular one has bad drivers. You say you've got a new driver so that's worth trying, hopefully it'll fix it.

Note - drivers for things like PCI cards can cause issues whether or not you're actually using the device at the time.

MrC
2006-05-04, 07:08

Further down below 'Technical information'

***STOP: etc.........

*** tcpip.sys - Address .............blah blah blah

Softsqueeze was left to run and was not touched for about 3 tracks of an album before the BSOD showed up.

Anymore suggestions of what to do? Is is most likely the PCI USB card?

Upon reboot I get the same error about 'sqlite' so thw crash has corrupted the HDD again. I should do a clean XP install and format as NTFS to prevent these corruptions.

This is a driver problem, most likely, as you've noted with your PCI/USB card. Ensure you have an up to date driver. You can also try to remove the USB device from windows device manager and let it reenumerate the USB tree - it will recreate the device.

MrGadget
2006-05-05, 04:40
This is a driver problem, most likely, as you've noted with your PCI/USB card. Ensure you have an up to date driver. You can also try to remove the USB device from windows device manager and let it reenumerate the USB tree - it will recreate the device.

Unfortunately the problem still persists. Oddly I cannot see any driver version changes in the Device Manager. I have taken the PCI USB card out and have connected the external HDD to a USB 1.1 port on the motherboard. I don't expect any crashes with this configuration (currently testing it)

Not sure what to do now because I don't think USB 1.1 will be suitable as the music library increases (I'm sure scans will be very slow). I have tried everyting I can think of to stop the crashing but maybe it is time for me to give up on the USB PCI card (Via 6212 chipset). Perhaps trying another brand is worth a shot.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

radish
2006-05-05, 07:22
Via and USB don't go together, they have a legacy of broken USB implementations going back years to one of their early mobo chipsets. I'm sure things have improved but I've been happily USB trouble free since I swore off Via. You might want to try something with the NEC chipset, which has worked well for me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815104216