PDA

View Full Version : squeezeboxes flying off the shelves?

opaqueice
2006-04-30, 17:08
In the two months I've owned a SB3, four friends have bought one as a direct consequence of seeing mine. The thing is so obviously a great idea, works so well, sounds so good, and looks so nice, it just sells itself. I'll probably buy another one for my office soon, where even more people will see it.

Have others had the same experience? If so, I suggest buying stock in slimdevices, as this is an exponential process...

snarlydwarf
2006-04-30, 17:28
I've only convinced one cow-orker to get a pair of SB3's: seems the others I've talked to either listen to music rarely, or they like the iPod... (no, I don't get it either).

Of course, since my employer's main business is TV... that may be why. I'm the freak that left the TV off for 10 years.

opaqueice
2006-04-30, 17:33
Of course, since my employer's main business is TV... that may be why. I'm the freak that left the TV off for 10 years.

I don't have one, and I also worked (briefly) in the TV industry. Maybe there's a pattern there...

nicketynick
2006-04-30, 18:18
People look at us like we each have 3 heads when we explain we haven't a clue what they're talking about (did you see....?) because we don't watch TV! They can't imagine why anyone would prefer to R E A D...... - very enjoyable with background music, IMO!

ChrisNY
2006-04-30, 18:53
I've got one co-worker who has it at the top of his Chanukah list for next year...

Unfortunately, most of the people I've tried to share my Squeezebox excitement with don't really "get it". My wife has admitted that she's a convert now that she's been using it for a while. Most folks politely say "Oh, that sounds pretty interesting" and then change the subject...Even when I tell them its Open Source and constantly evolving! Ah well, at least I have the forums here to converse with like minded folk.

-Chris

bossanova808
2006-04-30, 18:55
Mine has led to two more now (I have a v2, they have v3s damn it)

Some people don't want the whole server arrangement, but if they have an old comp around I set that up or head them towards an infrant ReadyNAS. Awesome little combo.

The one thing they all want is smart playlists a la iTunes...

nicketynick
2006-04-30, 18:59
It's all in the test-drive. People don't realize how great it is until they sit there with an entire collection at their fingertips. And the SB remote is one of Slim Devices great breakthroughs - _everyone_ knows how to interact with a remote!

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-30, 19:54
Most people I talk to don't get it.

One is interested, another one calls it "an MP3 player".

dijon
2006-04-30, 20:01
mine is locked in a closet where no one can see it. people always ask me how
it is that my home is always filled with wonderful music and they never see
me change cd's. my response is always a shrug. i don't want anyone to know
about squeezeboxes or slimserver. if they did, they'd be as cool as i am.
and i can't have that. no, that won't do at all.

----- Original Message -----
<Mark.Lanctot.273yhn1146452102 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 10:54 PM
Subject: [slim] Re: squeezeboxes flying off the shelves?

>
> Most people I talk to don't get it.
>
> One is interested, another one calls it "an MP3 player".
>
>
> --
> Mark Lanctot
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mark Lanctot's Profile:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2071
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23505
>
>

Browny
2006-05-01, 01:43
3 people have got one having used mine and I got my SB3 after visiting a friend and seeing his SB2.

When someone gets to play with a Squeezebox they just fall in love with it - one chap asked if he could use my PC to order one on the spot!

I think that the problem with trying to market SB to the masses is that when you try to describe it to someone the response you usually get is 'So its like an iPod?' at which point I just give up.

It's the sort of product that you don't realise you need until you play with one.

Andyoz
2006-05-01, 01:51
Agree,

At last count I have two workmates with them and the no.'s rapidly rising (I work in Engineering though) and three Brother's in Law that will have them in the near future.

Based on my experience, I would say sales are exponential too. The new case design of the SB3 is a key part to it.

4mula1
2006-05-01, 07:11
People see mine on top of my stereo stack with the RSS feed scrolling by and ask what it is. Once I tell them it's usually just an "Oh" for a response and that's it. Apparently I'm one of the few people I know who prefer to listen to music over watching TV. On top of that most people I know don't have a music collection the size of mine (not that it's that large, but big enough). My wife likes the SB but she doesn't want to take the time to learn how to rip music, which is another stumbling block.

mactavish
2006-05-01, 07:35
After having mine for a month, two of my neighbours have ordered theres.

I thought I would be using it for my own music, but so far it's 90% radio. Groove Salad accounting for about 50% of that and BBC Radio1 the rest (AlienBBC is the best thing since sliced bread !)

Can't wait to see what they have in store for the v4's whenever they come out. How often is the hardware upgraded ?

boerner
2006-05-01, 08:09
I agree...it is all in the test drive. I got a friend at the office to go in on the 2 for $100 off deal. She wass a little unsure, but since having it she loves it.

The video from the NY Times review that showed how Pandora worked was a great example I have used to convince other people. Maybe Slimdevices needs to a put their own video up showing how the whole thing works so more people "get it".

mrchrispy
2006-05-01, 08:31
In order to fly off the shelves the Squeezebox needs to be on the shelves to begin with. There are are hardly any retailers selling it right now. I live in NYC and wanted to pick one up at a bricks and mortar store and couldn't find one. (Tekserve only had the Squeezebox 2). Internet sales are great, but for a consumer product you really need to find a way to get in stores.

Squeezebox is a great product - I love mine, but it's really not marketed to consumers at all. I can't imagine growth is "exponential" because there's no awareness of the product in the marketplace (which is why you all have such trouble explaining the product to your friends). Ask 100 people at random on the street what a squeezebox is and you'll get 100 blank stares. Ask 100 people what an iPod is and 30 will take one out of there pocket to show it off, 65 will offer an explanation, and 5 will adjust their hearing aids and ask you to repeat your question.

One of the reasons that iPods sell so well is that they've been brilliantly and exhaustively marketed. If/when Apple ever gets serious about competing with the squeezebox with something other than Front Row they'll probably outsell Slim's lifetime numbers within a week or so (assuming they build a halfway decent product). That's not a knock on the people at Slim, just a testament to the power of advertising.

jmpage2
2006-05-02, 12:21
In order to fly off the shelves the Squeezebox needs to be on the shelves to begin with. There are are hardly any retailers selling it right now. I live in NYC and wanted to pick one up at a bricks and mortar store and couldn't find one. (Tekserve only had the Squeezebox 2). Internet sales are great, but for a consumer product you really need to find a way to get in stores.

Squeezebox is a great product - I love mine, but it's really not marketed to consumers at all. I can't imagine growth is "exponential" because there's no awareness of the product in the marketplace (which is why you all have such trouble explaining the product to your friends). Ask 100 people at random on the street what a squeezebox is and you'll get 100 blank stares. Ask 100 people what an iPod is and 30 will take one out of there pocket to show it off, 65 will offer an explanation, and 5 will adjust their hearing aids and ask you to repeat your question.

One of the reasons that iPods sell so well is that they've been brilliantly and exhaustively marketed. If/when Apple ever gets serious about competing with the squeezebox with something other than Front Row they'll probably outsell Slim's lifetime numbers within a week or so (assuming they build a halfway decent product). That's not a knock on the people at Slim, just a testament to the power of advertising.

Well, to add to this train of thought, Squeeze has done a great job of being a niche product, but to bust out to the mainstream the price will have to come down. Wi-fi appliances like the SB3 don't cost $300, they cost $150, $200 at most. I've showed my SB2 off to several friends who were very interested in the device until they found out what the cost was. You'd really think with direct sales they could sell for less and still make a good profit (while possibly increasing their volume).

Then again, maybe that's not the goal, maybe they would like to sell more to the Niche crowd.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-02, 17:08
Well, to add to this train of thought, Squeeze has done a great job of being a niche product, but to bust out to the mainstream the price will have to come down. Wi-fi appliances like the SB3 don't cost $300, they cost $150, $200 at most. I've showed my SB2 off to several friends who were very interested in the device until they found out what the cost was.

Huh? Sonos certainly doesn't adhere to this cost model at all. According to a forum member, they are available in big box stores now (Future Shop, Canada's equivalent of Best Buy).

jmpage2
2006-05-03, 16:20
Huh? Sonos certainly doesn't adhere to this cost model at all. According to a forum member, they are available in big box stores now (Future Shop, Canada's equivalent of Best Buy).

The Sonos does not require a stereo system or a server, it also has a color remote control and is essentially "idiot proof".

The Roku is a direct knockoff of the Squeezebox that costs a bit more than half what the Squeezebox costs for the basic model.

So effectively that leaves the SB sort of in the middle, hard to compete with Roku on price and very hard to compete with Sonus for "gee wiz" and "idiotproofness".

ezkcdude
2006-05-03, 16:49
IMO, the SqueezeBox is for a pretty specific target market: those who listen to music at home quite often, and at some point, migrated from a stereo system to a computer system, and now want to move back to the full stereo system. That's my experience. Before the whole mp3 craze, I had a 5-disc changer like everyone else, but eventually I got tired of changing discs all the time, so I started moving music over to my PC. Luckily for me, I found out about the SqueezeBox, because my computer system sounded like crap, even though I have decent speakers hooked up to it (NHT SuperOnes), and a Griffin PowerWave amp. It's no match for my dedicated stereo system. For most people, convenience wins over sound, but the SqueezeBox is great because it is both.

NWP
2006-05-03, 18:00
Well, to add to this train of thought, Squeeze has done a great job of being a niche product, but to bust out to the mainstream the price will have to come down. Wi-fi appliances like the SB3 don't cost $300, they cost $150, $200 at most. I've showed my SB2 off to several friends who were very interested in the device until they found out what the cost was. You'd really think with direct sales they could sell for less and still make a good profit (while possibly increasing their volume).

Then again, maybe that's not the goal, maybe they would like to sell more to the Niche crowd.

I have no problem with the price of the squeezebox even though I haven't been able to afford one yet (long story that involves hefty lawyer and dentist bills). I have recommended them to several people who have bought them.

My problem with the cost (and I'm probably beating a dead horse here) is that they don't put out a less expensive model without the display. Slimserver/Squeezebox would make the perfect whole house audio system, but the cost becomes too high when you are talking about music in 6-7 rooms. The ideal solution for the vast majority of my clients would be to buy 2-4 squeezeboxes and 2-4 devices without a display.

The Squeezebox is a beautiful appliance. It's a shame it often gets stuck in a closet or drawer when people want to have a hidden device in one of their rooms.

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-03, 20:36
I think the Squeezebox is pretty fairly priced - a higher-end alternative to Roku but not as much as the absurdly-high-priced Sonos.

Andyoz
2006-05-03, 23:01
I actually think there is room in the market for a more expensive version of the Squeezebox that takes in some of the upgrades the modders are discovering.

In my main system, the Squeezebox replaced a CD player that cost a ridiculous amount of money. There has been a (slight) loss in quality as expected and I would be prepared to buy one "super" Squeezebox for the main system and then use the "standard" players for other rooms (bedroom, study, etc.).

opaqueice
2006-05-04, 16:28
I actually think there is room in the market for a more expensive version of the Squeezebox that takes in some of the upgrades the modders are discovering.

In my main system, the Squeezebox replaced a CD player that cost a ridiculous amount of money. There has been a (slight) loss in quality as expected and I would be prepared to buy one "super" Squeezebox for the main system and then use the "standard" players for other rooms (bedroom, study, etc.).

Which mods would be most important to you? Personally I would also like to see an audiophile version, with components upgraded in some way to be determined by Slim Devices with the goal of improving sound quality. There is definitely a market there which they are actually missing out on by pricing it so low.

jmpage2
2006-05-04, 17:42
Which mods would be most important to you? Personally I would also like to see an audiophile version, with components upgraded in some way to be determined by Slim Devices with the goal of improving sound quality. There is definitely a market there which they are actually missing out on by pricing it so low.

I don't think it would matter what Slim did to satisfy the audiophile crowd, it would still fall short of the expectations of many.

There are a few individuals out there who sell their own customized version of the Squeezebox with stable power supplies, upgraded DACs and complimentary ougi boards, so that's probably the best place for serious audiophiles to begin.

4mula1
2006-05-10, 05:56
Perhaps to get some more mass market appeal SD need to offer a
"Squeezebox Kit" that includes the SB and a preconfigured router. That would make the plunge for a lot of people who are not network savvy.

Also, while SlimServer is becoming more feature rich, perhaps it's time to step back and make "SlimServer Lite" which will give the average consumer enough features to make them happy but not so many as to overwhelm them. A simple download later can install the full version with all of the mind numbing options available.

jmpage2
2006-05-10, 09:43
Perhaps to get some more mass market appeal SD need to offer a
"Squeezebox Kit" that includes the SB and a preconfigured router. That would make the plunge for a lot of people who are not network savvy.

Also, while SlimServer is becoming more feature rich, perhaps it's time to step back and make "SlimServer Lite" which will give the average consumer enough features to make them happy but not so many as to overwhelm them. A simple download later can install the full version with all of the mind numbing options available.

Yes, I've had similar thoughts about how they could get better adoption from non techno-philes.

I still think they need to offer a stripped down wireless model for less than the $299 price point.

Nearly everyone I've shown the SB to has become completely deflated when they've found out it's $300 plus shipping.

Look at it this way, for $300 you can buy a video iPod and a little more $$ for a dock to stick it on your stereo. What do you think the average consumer will do?

Patrick Dixon
2006-05-10, 10:13
I would be prepared to buy one "super" Squeezebox for the main system and then use the "standard" players for other rooms (bedroom, study, etc.).I though you were waiting for prices to drop ... or hell to freeze over ... or something!

Mark Lanctot
2006-05-10, 10:22
I still think they need to offer a stripped down wireless model for less than the $299 price point.

Nearly everyone I've shown the SB to has become completely deflated when they've found out it's $300 plus shipping.

Look at it this way, for $300 you can buy a video iPod and a little more $$ for a dock to stick it on your stereo. What do you think the average consumer will do?

I still gotta say...if Sonos can sell their product for what they charge for it than Slim can charge $299 for theirs.

It's vastly cheaper than a Sonos setup and vastly better than a Roku setup so I don't know why you feel the price is too high. It's perfect - higher than Roku but lower than Sonos.

The average consumer thinks all music comes from iTunes, so they're not Slim's target market anyway. "You mean it can't play iTunes music?". Slim Devices should stay away from that market, because if they did enter it, Apple could trounce them in any area they want to.

stinkingpig
2006-05-10, 15:54
On 5/10/06, 4mula1 <4mula1.27lehz1147266001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Perhaps to get some more mass market appeal SD need to offer a
> "Squeezebox Kit" that includes the SB and a preconfigured router. That
> would make the plunge for a lot of people who are not network savvy.
>
> Also, while SlimServer is becoming more feature rich, perhaps it's time
> to step back and make "SlimServer Lite" which will give the average
> consumer enough features to make them happy but not so many as to
> overwhelm them. A simple download later can install the full version
> with all of the mind numbing options available.

Oo, oo, yeah, like Microsoft Works! Er, on second thought....

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

4mula1
2006-05-10, 16:11
On 5/10/06, 4mula1 <4mula1.27lehz1147266001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Perhaps to get some more mass market appeal SD need to offer a
> "Squeezebox Kit" that includes the SB and a preconfigured router. That
> would make the plunge for a lot of people who are not network savvy.
>
> Also, while SlimServer is becoming more feature rich, perhaps it's time
> to step back and make "SlimServer Lite" which will give the average
> consumer enough features to make them happy but not so many as to
> overwhelm them. A simple download later can install the full version
> with all of the mind numbing options available.

Oo, oo, yeah, like Microsoft Works! Er, on second thought....

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

But with SlimServer it's still free. No fear of getting screwed over.