PDA

View Full Version : Synchronization of Soft Squeeze 2.3 with Slim Server 6.2.2

Zten
2006-04-29, 15:32
Glad to see the Tony Muffin fiasco was resolved. So all he had to do was re-boot his router? So much heat on that one with such a simple fix. What a shame......

Anyway, I upgraded to 6.2.2, and it was painless. Two things in 6.2.2 caught my eye. One was the release notes say there is an improvement for people using Actiontech routers. THAT'S ME! Every now and then, (NOT very often) slimserver would just stop on my system, so now I will see if this now longer happens.

The second thing was a claim of improvement of synch with SoftSqueeze. Trying it now and Softsqueeze is still LEADING my SqueezeBox by about a second. Is there any hope for me?

P.S. No anger here. I just would love to be able to synch up Softsqueeze with SqueezeBox....

Brian Ritchie
2006-04-29, 19:14
The second thing was a claim of improvement of synch with SoftSqueeze. Trying it now and Softsqueeze is still LEADING my SqueezeBox by about a second. Is there any hope for me?

P.S. No anger here. I just would love to be able to synch up Softsqueeze with SqueezeBox....
At first, I was delighted to discover that my SB3 and Softsqueeze were keeping in sync, something they'd never done before. Then they started to slip a little (I can't remember which started dragging), but would usually sync again at the start of the next track.

But then my SB3 suddenly cut out in mid-song (Softsqueeze kept going). This happened several times in 30 minutes. I think that restarting the track worked, though on at least one occasion, the SB3 stopped obeying the remote. On another, the SB3 display was corrupted (I had fearful visions of display failure). Eventually, I gave up and stopped syncing; the SB3 worked fine after that.

I'll have to experiment and monitor further to see if I can pin this down, but since it looks sporadic that might be hard. Does anyone else recognise this behaviour and have any ideas as to the cause(s)?

No "much ado about muffin" :-) here either, just mild disappointment. I don't need to sync often, but today I was moving around the house a lot, so it would've been nice.

Possibly relevant info: I was running SoftSqueeze on the SlimServer machine (Win XP), which is wired into my wireless router.

-- Brian

tharrison
2006-04-30, 10:09
To my delight, I have found that SoftSqueeze and my SqueezeBox are now in sync.

Two things I did:
1) Upgrade the server (to 6.2.2) and softsqueeze (to 2.3)
2) Install the Java MP3 files (Java Media Framework was needed to make it work for me)

Rock on!

Zten
2006-04-30, 11:43
I have SoftSqueeze 2.3, SlimServer 6.2.2, and I just downloaded Java Media Framework (I previously did not have this...) SB is still not synched with Soft Squeeze. Is there something I need to do specifically with JMF or do I just need to have it installed on my machine?

I have tried both FLAC and MP3, but soft squeeze still LEADS the Squeeze box by more than a second. Any other ideas?