PDA

View Full Version : Does SB3 actually work? I'm not so sure...

emm
2006-04-29, 10:16
I've got Comcast highspeed cable modem hardwired to Linksys WRT54GX2 router. My PC is also hardwired to the Linksys router. I've got SB3 in an adjacent room wired to my stereo. BUT I SPEND MORE TIME FIXING INTERRUPTIONS THAN LISTENING TO MUSIC. I've done all the things suggested in this forum to fix dropped signals, including changing router channels, checking my signal strength, on and on and on. No change in the inconsistent SB3 end result. I do not live in an unusually high interference area. Can someone please help me identify the problem? I have spent countless hours ripping my CDs to create a 100GB digital library and invested hundreds of dollars in SB3 and routers and connections. I do not with so spend my leisure time constantly re-configuring a product that does not really work as described.

Frustrated,
emm

radish
2006-04-29, 15:27
Can you post the results from the Server & Network Health page of your slimserver? It's also worth trying it for a while connected with a cable to make 100% sure the problem really does lie with the wireless segment and not somewhere else.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 16:53
Just for the sake of consistancy, let me extoll briefly on the beauty of copper. Copper was discovered by ancient man something like 5,000 years ago, and to this date, no good substitute for copper has been found.

How hard would it be to put real cat5 or 6 ethernet cables into the wall behind your stereo?

If you don't like mucking with things, wireless may be a timewaster. It's cute, but nothing beats copper.

Faster by a long shot, more constant than taxes or death, not effected by neighbours with portable phones or late night trips to the microwave for popcorn.

Here in Canada, electricians will install it for about $50 a cable run, i.e. about the same cost as the wireless card in a squeezebox.

And did I mention that it just works?

emm
2006-04-29, 20:01
Yes I think copper is the only solution. Wireless is a great idea but I have never used any wireless device without dropouts, from my wireless router to my cell phone.

emm
2006-04-29, 20:12
Here are the results from my Server & Network Health monitor at Slimserver. As far as I can tell, these results have absolutely no bearing on the performance of my slimserver. First of all, the monitor is certain I've got a SB2 when in fact I have an SB3. And my PC is a new laptop with 1.2G RAM and 100GB hard drive with a 1.83GHz P4. My confidence in the data is shaken and stirred.
emm

Server & Network Health

Performance monitoring is currently enabled on your server. Performance statistics are being collected in the background while your server is running.

Disable Performance Monitoring

Reset Counters

Update Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please queue up several tracks to play on this player and start them playing. Then press the Reset Counters link above to clear the statistics and update this display.

Summary
Control Connection : OK
Streaming Connection : OK
Player Signal Strength : OK
Buffer Fullness : Low
Server Response Time : Occasional Poor Response

Warnings
The playback buffer for this player is occasionally falling lower than ideal. This is a Squeezebox2 and so the buffer fullness is expected to drop at the end of each track. You may see this warning if you are playing lots of short tracks. If you are hearing audio dropouts, please check our network signal strength.

Your server response time is occasionally longer than desired. This may cause audio dropouts, especially on Slimp3 and Squeezebox1 players. It may be due to background load on your server or a slimserver task taking longer than normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Performance : 192.168.1.103
The graphs shown here record the long term trend for each of the player performance measurements below. They display the number and percentage of measurements which fall within each measurement band.

It is imporant to leave the player playing for a while and then assess the graphs.

Player Signal Strength
This graph shows the strength of the wireless signal received by your player. Higher signal strength is better. The player reports signal strength while it is playing.
< 10 : 0 : 0%
< 20 : 0 : 0%
< 30 : 0 : 0%
< 40 : 0 : 0%
< 50 : 2 : 0%
< 60 : 16 : 3% #
< 70 : 44 : 9% ####
< 80 : 147 : 30% ###############
< 90 : 280 : 57% ############################
< 100 : 0 : 0%
>=100 : 0 : 0%
max : 88.000000
min : 49.000000
avg : 77.646217

Buffer Fullness
This graph shows the fill of the player's buffer. Higher buffer fullness is better. Note the buffer is only filled while the player is playing tracks.
Squeezebox1 uses a small buffer and it is expected to stay full while playing. If this value drops to 0 it will result in audio dropouts. This is likely to be due to network problems.

Squeezebox2 uses a large buffer. This drains to 0 at the end of each track and then refills for the next track. You should only be concerned if the buffer fill is not high for the majority of the time a track is playing.

Playing remote streams can lead to low buffer fill as the player needs to wait for data from the remote server. This is not a cause for concern.

< 10 : 263 : 54% ##########################
< 20 : 24 : 5% ##
< 30 : 15 : 3% #
< 40 : 10 : 2% #
< 50 : 12 : 2% #
< 60 : 10 : 2% #
< 70 : 16 : 3% #
< 80 : 14 : 3% #
< 90 : 9 : 2%
< 100 : 116 : 24% ###########
max : 99.999968
min : 0.000000
avg : 35.236264

Control Connection
This graph shows the number of messages queued up to send to the player over the control connection. A measurement is taken every time a new message is sent to the player. Values above 1-2 indicate potential network congestion or that the player has become disconnected.
< 1 : 135 :100% ##################################################
< 2 : 0 : 0%
< 5 : 0 : 0%
>=20 : 0 : 0%
max : 0.000000
avg : 0.000000

Server Performance
The graphs shown here record the long term trend for each of the server performance measurements below. They display the number and percentage of measurements which fall within each measurement band.
Server Response Time
This graph shows the length of time between slimserver responding to requests from any player. It is measured in seconds. Lower numbers are better. If you notice response times of over 1 second this could lead to problems with audio performance.
The cause of long response times could be either other programs running on the server or slimserver processing a complex task.

< 0.002 : 4410 : 96% ###############################################
< 0.005 : 107 : 2% #
< 0.01 : 13 : 0%
< 0.015 : 8 : 0%
< 0.025 : 12 : 0%
< 0.05 : 16 : 0%
< 0.1 : 9 : 0%
< 0.5 : 33 : 1%
< 1 : 4 : 0%
< 5 : 2 : 0%
>=5 : 1 : 0%
max : 7.409971
min : 0.000047
avg : 0.005795

Timer Accuracy
Slimserver uses a timer mechanism to trigger events such as updating the user interface. This graph shows how accurately each timer task is run relative to the time it was intended to be run. It is measured in seconds.
Timer tasks are scheduled by the server to run at some point in the future. As only one timer task can run at once and the server may also be performing other activity, timer tasks always run slightly after the time they are scheduled for. However if timer tasks run significantly after they are scheduled this can become noticable through delay in the user interface.

< 0.002 : 693 : 83% #########################################
< 0.005 : 39 : 5% ##
< 0.01 : 46 : 5% ##
< 0.015 : 28 : 3% #
< 0.025 : 4 : 0%
< 0.05 : 0 : 0%
< 0.1 : 8 : 1%
< 0.5 : 14 : 2%
< 1 : 3 : 0%
< 5 : 3 : 0%
>=5 : 2 : 0%
max : 7.100116
avg : 0.030442

Timer Task Duration
This graph shows how long each timer task runs for. It is measured in seconds. If any timer task takes more than 0.5 seconds this is likely to impact the user interface.
< 0.002 : 793 : 94% ###############################################
< 0.005 : 29 : 3% #
< 0.01 : 0 : 0%
< 0.015 : 0 : 0%
< 0.025 : 5 : 1%
< 0.05 : 2 : 0%
< 0.1 : 0 : 0%
< 0.5 : 10 : 1%
< 1 : 0 : 0%
< 5 : 1 : 0%
>=5 : 0 : 0%
max : 1.649644
min : 0.000043
avg : 0.006688

joncourage
2006-04-29, 20:42
(I'm sure someone from Slim or familiar with the stats will make some sense from the system health page. The one thing I believe is the case is that the SB firmware is known to report the SB3 as an SB2, so that fact alone shouldn't shake your faith in the data; other threads have covered that topic).

Meanwhile, my suggestion is a simpler one - it seems as tho you're saying you've had trouble with other wireless devices dropping connections as well? If that's the case, of course the SB would be subject to the same wifi instability. Make sure your WAP is on the latest firmware and try to situate it somewhere that provides the best signal path. You may want to consider getting the antenna-based signal amplifiers if wifi drop-outs and signal strength are a problem. Also, a variety of types of wireless interference can cause wifi problems, from microwaves to cordless phones, etc. Try to rule out any electronic device that could be causing signal interference, however unlikely they may seem.

Trying a wired connection, at least to see if the problem goes away is of course the surest advice.

I have a similar setup to you and don't have any connection or dropout problems, so I assure you there is a way to get your setup working, you may have to sort out some network problems first. Worst case, I guess it's possible the SB is defective in some way (perhaps the wifi card or antenna) so if networking is ruled out consider exchanging it.

SoundBoy
2006-04-29, 20:54
I've got Comcast highspeed cable modem hardwired to Linksys WRT54GX2 router. My PC is also hardwired to the Linksys router. I've got SB3 in an adjacent room wired to my stereo. BUT I SPEND MORE TIME FIXING INTERRUPTIONS THAN LISTENING TO MUSIC. I've done all the things suggested in this forum to fix dropped signals, including changing router channels, checking my signal strength, on and on and on. No change in the inconsistent SB3 end result. I do not live in an unusually high interference area. Can someone please help me identify the problem? I have spent countless hours ripping my CDs to create a 100GB digital library and invested hundreds of dollars in SB3 and routers and connections. I do not with so spend my leisure time constantly re-configuring a product that does not really work as described.

Frustrated,
emm

Do you want a honest answer, OK you deserve one.. In a few cases it works great, in most cases acceptable and in some cases - it will not work. Why - wireless is a mess - and the SlimSoftware is not able to make up for it. The SB3 hardware is nice - I bought a wireless SB3 to just to discover that I need to wire it up.. here goes the extra money. My old IMac can stream the same music on the same network under the same conditions nicely to an Airport Express Airtunes. SB3 is not working on the same conditions for uninterrupted music.. So the honest answer is - we both bought a medicore product for a premium price.. I guess we need to live with it.

Cheers

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 20:55
Yes I think copper is the only solution. Wireless is a great idea but I have never used any wireless device without dropouts, from my wireless router to my cell phone.
I just struggled for half an hour to get my wireless laptop to connect up. Damned Zero Config. Works most of the time. Not today for some reason.

I really like copper. I strung it all through my factory. What I paid the electrician was less than the cost of that many wireless cards.

When I can't get cat5, I use homeplug (which is ethernet over power copper).

Anyways, your server health does seem to indicate a problem. There are other people on this list who are better at reading those results than I am. But the occasional bad server response part is a problem.

Oh, the SB2 and SB3 are almost identical inside, so in many places, Slimserver doesn't identify them separately.

joncourage
2006-04-29, 21:04
Do you want a honest answer, OK you deserve one.. In a few cases it works great, in most cases acceptable and in some cases - it will not work. Why - wireless is a mess - and the SlimSoftware is not able to make up for it. The SB3 hardware is nice - I bought a wireless SB3 to just to discover that I need to wire it up.. here goes the extra money. My old IMac can stream the same music on the same network under the same conditions nicely to an Airport Express Airtunes. SB3 is not working on the same conditions for uninterrupted music.. So the honest answer is - we both bought a medicore product for a premium price.. I guess we need to live with it.

Cheers

I'd be happy to take that SB3 off your hands if you're really not happy with it, you certainly don't have to live with it.

emm
2006-04-29, 21:07
To hardwire my SB3 to my PC, what exactly is the type of cable I should use? CAT5? some other? I'm a novice so please be specific.

thx
emm

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 21:19
You have a couple of options. It depends on how your place is set up.

For temporary use, you can just get a long ethernet cable and string it over the floor.

The longest cable you can run between router or hub and device is 100 meters, about 300 feet.

If you want to run the cables through the walls, you might want to hire an electrician and put in proper wall plates and so on. Should cost about $50 per cable run. You want to ask him/her to install cat5 ethernet wiring. Ask if cat6 is the same price. If so, or if it's only a little more, get the 6.

Then you'd have a plug in the wall near your router, and another plug in the wall near your SB and stereo.

You run little short 1foot or 3foot cords from the router to the wall plug, and from the wall plug to the SB.

Hope this helps.

joncourage
2006-04-29, 21:21
Yep, you'd use CAT5 (or CAT5e or CAT6) ethernet cable to connect your SB3 *to your network switch*. (You wouldn't generally want to connect the SB to your PC/Slimserver directly).

Sometimes the network switch is part of/built into your wireless router/access point (or possibly built into your cable/dsl router), and sometimes it's a separate device. Find what look like phone-plug jacks, usually there will be 4 or 5 or more grouped together. There is a similar port on the back of your SB3.

How much distance do you have between your SB location and your network switch?

radish
2006-04-29, 21:43
I don't understand why you say you don't trust the results, they look perfectly straightforward to me. You have bad signal strength, and that's causing buffer underruns. Look at getting a better antenna for your access point, or moving it or the SB to a position with better reception.

Wired will of course give more reliability than wireless, that's the way of things, but wireless can work. It works everywhere I've used my SBs, including my current apartment with 3 devices in 3 different rooms and at least 6 or 7 other wireless networks competing for airspace. No dropouts, no problems.

So the honest answer is - we both bought a medicore product for a premium price.. I guess we need to live with it.

Please, please ebay your SB3 and go back to your wonderful airport. Hell I'd buy it off you to shut you up.

joncourage
2006-04-29, 21:58
please ebay your SB3 and go back to your wonderful airport. Hell I'd buy it off you <edit>.

Hey, I'm first in line!

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 06:59
Soundboy:

Wireless is a swamp of competing vendors building non-standard products that don't interoperate properly. That's the state of the "art" at the moment. I and others written any number of threads on this topic. I had problems with my wireless laptop last night. Someone else in the area powered up something and blew me away.

That said, I live in a very wireless-adverse environment. Top of an 18 story apartment building in a cluster of 3, community college across the street, it's just semester change time so lots of new people moving in and out and turning new wireless things on and off.

Other people, who live in less air-challenging environments, have no problems with wireless.

None of this is Slims fault, any more than blaming your car for the rough ride when you're driving over potholes.

If you want help getting your box going, you've come to the right place.

If you want to vent and call the SB names, this isn't the place. For 3 reasons:

1. we aren't Slim, we don't represent Slim, we don't get paid by Slim, hurling invective at us doesn't get to Slim, and
2. it just wastes our time and energy and pisses us off, and
3. we've already had an incident earlier this week where we were all verbally abused by someone because he upgraded a day before a party and the upgrade failed. While I sympathize with him, I didn't participate in the upgrade, I couldn't even figure out what went wrong, I certainly couldn't "Just fix the damned thing or stuff it".

So we're kinda grumpy right now.

If you wanna get it going, we're the guys.

If you wanna vent about how much money you paid for your mediocre product, don't. Not here.

Call Slim support and tell them what you think of their product, get an RMA and send it back (there is a warantee), whatever.

Or sell it on eBay. Or to Jon. Or Radish.

Just don't vent here.

Please.

Thank you

Michael Wagner

Cleve
2006-04-30, 07:27
I don't understand why you say you don't trust the results, they look perfectly straightforward to me. You have bad signal strength, and that's causing buffer underruns.

Hmmm, Radish, I'm a bit confused. It looked like he was, mostly, over 80% signal strength. That seems decent to me. But his buffer is underfilling - he's mostly under 10% buffer - which may be the culprit.

Currently, I'm running Slimserver on my wireless laptop, bouncing it back upstairs to my Linksys router, and then back down to my Slimserver across the room. And I'm having no problems. Here's the key performance metrics...

Summary

Control Connection : OK
Streaming Connection : OK
Player Signal Strength : OK
Buffer Fullness : OK
Server Response Time : OK

Warnings

This player is performing normally.
Player Performance : 192.168.1.109

Player Signal Strength

< 50 : 0 : 0%
< 60 : 27 : 43% #####################
< 70 : 34 : 54% ##########################
< 80 : 2 : 3% #
< 90 : 0 : 0%
< 100 : 0 : 0%
max : 71.000000
min : 53.000000
avg : 59.984127

Buffer Fullness

< 50 : 0 : 0%
< 60 : 0 : 0%
< 70 : 0 : 0%
< 80 : 0 : 0%
< 90 : 0 : 0%
< 100 : 63 :100% ##################################################
max : 99.999396
min : 98.040835
avg : 99.862411

Server Response time

< 0.002 : 419 : 91% #############################################
< 0.005 : 33 : 7% ###
< 0.01 : 0 : 0%
< 0.015 : 1 : 0%
< 0.025 : 0 : 0%
< 0.05 : 6 : 1%
< 0.1 : 1 : 0%
< 0.5 : 0 : 0%
< 1 : 0 : 0%
< 5 : 0 : 0%
>=5 : 0 : 0%
max : 0.062345
min : 0.000087
avg : 0.001541

I've got weaker signal strength than EMM, but mine is working fine with a wireless laptop/wireless SB3 configuration, and I'm streaming FLAC files too. Even with multiple hops, my server response time is excellent. And surfing the web, posting on forums, et al. No dropouts here. Also, I only have a 802.11B router - G should have a lot more bandwidth.

If EMM is listening to songs on his harddrive, the data suggests, to me, a buffer issue. Not sure why that is - unless he's running HDD intensive program in the background. If it's webradio, the low buffer fill is understandable.

emm
2006-04-30, 07:27
Dumb question #23: Does the success of my current set up (see below) depend on the quality/consistency of my internet connection? Could this be the weak link?

Comcast cable highspeed internet hardwired to Linksys wireless router WRT54GX2 (with SRX200 speed and range expansion) (2 antennas). PC hardwired to wireless router. SB3 in another room connected (analog) to stereo.

thx for all your suggestions so far.
emm

emm
2006-04-30, 07:38
Cleve - It may be a buffer issue but I'm running no other programs on my PC when listening to SB3. Also, many times I experience a complete freeze of SB3 - no ability to select options using the remote. No music playing. Can't even turn the machine off using the remote sometimes.
emm

Cleve
2006-04-30, 07:42
Dumb question #23: Does the success of my current set up (see below) depend on the quality/consistency of my internet connection? Could this be the weak link?

Comcast cable highspeed internet hardwired to Linksys wireless router WRT54GX2 (with SRX200 speed and range expansion) (2 antennas). PC hardwired to wireless router. SB3 in another room connected (analog) to stereo.

thx for all your suggestions so far.
emm

EMM, if you are listening to FLAC, MP3 or any other type of audio file on your computer's hard drive, then no, the quality of your internet connection should have no effect on your SB3.

Many wireless issues relate to the router itself. Question - can you try using a different router? That Linksys gets only a 3 out of 5 customer rating at Amazon - and many people have had wireless issues with it. Read the comments here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AXU76E/sr=8-1/qid=1146407752/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6140924-9163969?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The easiest way to tell if it's a router or SB3 issue - if you have access to a wireless laptop - try playing your audio files on it in the same room you use the SB3. If you get "droppouts" on the laptop - it's definitely a router problem. Lots of people have problems with Linksys routers. I have an 3 1/2 year old Linksys 802.11 b wireless router - and it gets "funky" every week or so - it requires pulling the power plug and reconnecting or else I get "droppouts" on my wireless network.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 07:50
Dumb answer #23: no, in theory it shouldn't. But that being said, routers are computers too, and they can be coded badly. Try disconnecting your internet connection for 10 minutes and see if it makes a difference.

One way it might:

Your linksys router is, if I recall correctly, a NAT router. It has something of a firewall. Maybe even a good one. If your IP is under attack, someone could be sending you a thousand bad transactions a second. They may not be getting through, but much of the bandwidth of the router could be consumed repelling boarders. In which case, other internal traffic may be delayed.

Really good firewalls load-shed when attacked, that is, after a while, they see a pattern developing and throw away packets from certain addresses without a lot of computation first.

Home firewalls mostly don't. My home one falls over once or twice a month, and I'm sure that's what's happening.

I'm not saying that's happening to you ... I don't know ... I'm saying that's one conceivable way that your WAN traffic could be affecting your LAN traffic.

Cleve & emm:

I too was surprised at the server delay. Then I thought, yeah, laptop hard drive. But no, with 1.2GB of RAM, even a slow hard drive should get adequate buffering. And if it's a 100GB hard drive, it's fairly modern and should have adequate internal buffering.

emm: did you just fill up the hard disk with music, all recently? Have you defragmented the hard disk (or at least asked the defrag analyzer to tell you about fragmentation?)?

Are you running other stuff on this laptop at the same time?

I DJ from a laptop, but nothing else runs on it at the same time. Laptops aren't as parallel as desktops, and they aren't as good at multi-tasking.

Do you know the speed of the hard disk?

Any chance some of your memory isn't working?

We're looking for something that could knock out a fair bit of your laptop responsiveness.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 07:51
Cleve - It may be a buffer issue but I'm running no other programs on my PC when listening to SB3. Also, many times I experience a complete freeze of SB3 - no ability to select options using the remote. No music playing. Can't even turn the machine off using the remote sometimes.
emm
That sounds like a responsiveness problem on the laptop. Everything, every remote button push, even the power switch, needs a trip to the server and back.

Can you tell us what's happening with the laptop at those times?

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 07:53
emm: can you tell us what type of music files you're playing?

And just to be sure, the 100GB hard disk is internal, not USB?

emm
2006-04-30, 07:58
Good questions everyone. Let me see if I can answer:
1) Linksys router, not NAT (don't know if it has an internal firewall but don't think so)
2) Running music from external USB maxtor 300GB harddrive (7200 RPM)and I've only got 100GB of music on it (FLAC files)
3) Laptop contains P4 1.85GHZ at 5400 RPM with 1.2G RAM and only 10% of harddrive used.
4) I experienced exactly the same performance problems when I was storing music files on my laptop instead of the external USB drive.

I think it may be a router problem. I thought this Linksys was supposed to be one of the best. Suggestions?
emm

radish
2006-04-30, 08:06
Hmmm, Radish, I'm a bit confused. It looked like he was, mostly, over 80% signal strength. That seems decent to me. But his buffer is underfilling - he's mostly under 10% buffer - which may be the culprit.

Doh! You're right of course, I misread the chart. That's what happens when you post late at night :) Apologies.

Cleve
2006-04-30, 08:24
Good questions everyone. Let me see if I can answer:

I think it may be a router problem. I thought this Linksys was supposed to be one of the best. Suggestions?
emm

In the user comments section at Amazon, some were saying that particular router - with MIMO, has issues. No one mentioned Squeezebox, but some users mentioned problems with dropouts and packet loss. If the router is the source of those problems, it will definitely mess up SB3, or anything else, using the wireless connection.

And Michael raised a good point - if your IP was under some type of DOS attack, or a probe, the router could be shutting down in self-defense. Try disconnecting the cable connection, and repowering the router, and see how it works.

GoCubs
2006-04-30, 08:27
I just quickly browsed these messages, and I didn't see it mentioned before, but what kind of cordless phones do you have and do they use any 2.4ghz channels (even some 5ghz phones use some 2.4s). I've seen some 2.4's that do not play well with wifi regardless of channel used. Especially if the phone's base is located higher than your router or sb3. I used to have a neighbor that whenever his phone would ring my laptop would completely drop connection. Very annoying and other than buying them a new phone or going with a wired connection, there's not much you can do.

Try unplugging your phones and see if you still have dropouts. However, if you live in a multi-until building you may be SOL...

This of course assumes that your dropouts are connection related and not some sort of hardware issue...

Good luck
-Greg

emm
2006-04-30, 08:30
I'll unplug and re-plug the modem and router and try again, but even if it works for awhile, the problem will likely return before too long. It always has in the past.

I don't use a home phone - just a cell phone. Local phone company kept me on hold for too long a few years ago and I decided I didn't need them.

emm

slimpy
2006-04-30, 08:31
I don't think this was asked before so here goes: What version of Slimserver are you running?
Donwload and install the latest 6.2.2 build. There have been so many wireless related changes in firmware lately that it is essential you use the latest version before we even start to guess what's wrong.

-s.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 08:57
I don't use a home phone - just a cell phone. Local phone company kept me on hold for too long a few years ago and I decided I didn't need them.
A smart man.

Our local phone co. kept my girlfriend on the phone for an hour this week, only to tell her in the end they couldn't help her.

I think we're going to become Mr&Ms VoIP soon.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 09:01
WRT54GX2 (with SRX200 speed and range expansion)
As slimpy says, get the latest download (6.2.2 is out, and it has lots of fixes for wireless problems).

If that doesn't do it, see if you can turn the turbo speed thing off. I don't know what SRX200 is, but most of them are bogus non-standard extensions. The Slim guys keep putting in defences and handshakes to turn that crap off, but the manufacturers keep coming up with new drivel faster than they can be hand shaken away.

If the range expansion is MIMO (although 2 antennas, not so sure), it might be OK. But try turning the other stuff off.

Good luck

funkstar
2006-04-30, 10:00
the Wiki has a list of tested routers with any problems or limitations associated.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus

ChrisOwens
2006-05-01, 09:12
By any chance is the original poster running a firmware version between 29 and 41? Some changes were made to the firmware to solve this exact issue (the so-called 'stuttering' problem).

emm
2006-05-02, 05:45
i'm running slimserver 6.2.1. Busy at work this week and don't have a chance to check the firmware version right now, but I downloaded it 3 months ago. Should be up to date.
emm

slimpy
2006-05-02, 05:50
Download the 6.2.2 version and install. This will also upgrade the player firmware when starting the server for the first time. Many wireless issues have been resolved since 6.2.1. There is no point in investigating your problem any further before your installation has been upgraded.

-s.

Danguard
2006-05-02, 10:22
Emm, i bet that with the last release (6.2.2) or the 6.5b1 everything will work perfectly
I suffered for 2 months for the same issue, but now everything is perfect and i can run the latest 6.5 nighty release without any problem, just trust Slim Devices, they know what they're doing
Btw, if for some strange reason it doesn't work correctly, try to download a release with FW28, i'm sure it will work until a new firmware will appear :)

Michaelwagner
2006-05-02, 10:30
Start conservative and go with 6.2.2 (which is now the release version) off the standard download page.

6.5 is a pre-release developers beta release, not good for people who aren't developers unless specifically recommended by a developer to solve a particular problem.

emm
2006-05-14, 10:12
I've just installed a 100ft CAT6 network cable hardwired from my router to SB3 and, of course, it works perfectly. No more depending on wireless technology to broadcast my music. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all the good advice and support this forum (and this thread) provides. Thanks to all.

emm

emm
2006-05-14, 10:15
Of course I still don't understand why, when my internet connection goes down, I can't bring slimserver up on my computer. I try to launch it but it uses internet explorer as its interface and it seems to depend on a live internet connection to work. I guess I don't understand something basic here, but I thought slimserver software was installed locally on my PC and just used IE as its front-end. Does it need an internet connection? I thought I should be able to access slimserver and play music on my sb3 without an internet connection.

emm

snarlydwarf
2006-05-14, 10:35
You should be able to get to the control page just fine without 'net access. IE itself must be doing something on startup. Do you have something odd installed in IE (some plugins like to phone home: the google toolbar, for example, if it has 'show pagerank' turned on, will want to connect to google with every page load to look up the page rank).

That or you have spyware installed and IE is loading that.

bpa
2006-05-14, 10:44
In server settings/behaviour - there is a check box for slimserver to check www.slimdevices.com every day for software updates

Michaelwagner
2006-05-14, 11:39
emm: Depending on which router you have, you can usually ask them to log connections to and from the internet. Next time the internet is up, see who is connecting to whom. Maybe there's a clue in there somewhere.

Also, what is your default page set to for IE? What is the first thing you see when you open IE (when the internet is running)?

Does Slimserver itself not come up when the internet is down (i.e. does the display on the squeezebox and the remote work?) or is it merely the web interface that isn't coming up?

emm
2006-05-14, 12:09
My IE homepage is www.nytimes.com and I do have the Google toolbar installed, though I don't think pagerank is active. Next time this happens I will see if I can still use SB3 itself with the remote control even if the web interface won't come up on my PC. If I don't need the internet, I should be able to turn off my cable modem and still use SB3, correct? I will have to try this.
emm

Michaelwagner
2006-05-14, 12:35
If I don't need the internet, I should be able to turn off my cable modem and still use SB3, correct?
Correct. ... (for forum software)