PDA

View Full Version : qnap ts-101 question

vamprecords
2006-04-29, 05:54
Hi,

is the slimserver software installed on the HD or is it build in the qnap?

Martijn

azinck3
2006-04-29, 06:19
It's installed for you on the hard drive by the distributor.

vamprecords
2006-04-29, 06:53
It's installed for you on the hard drive by the distributor.

i ordered one without a HD, is the software included with the device?

Thanks,

Martijn

Grumpy_Git
2006-04-29, 06:56
Nope, the software is only included if you buy from certain distributors with the hard drive installed such as cooltopia or multitask.

Nick.

vamprecords
2006-04-29, 07:07
Nope, the software is only included if you buy from certain distributors with the hard drive installed such as cooltopia or multitask.

Nick.

Is it hard to install? or is it just not possible?

Grumpy_Git
2006-04-29, 07:10
not possible, the version with slimsrver installed is a closed system created by progressiveav and approved by qnap.

They insisted that the system was closed so nobody could mess around up the device.

Nick.

vamprecords
2006-04-29, 07:15
not possible, the version with slimsrver installed is a closed system created by progressiveav and approved by qnap.

They insisted that the system was closed so nobody could mess around up the device.

Nick.

so it's installed on the HD? so if the HD crashes it's goodbye slimserver?

Thanks for you quick response!

Martijn

funkstar
2006-04-29, 08:13
Paul from Progressive has said in another thread that he will happily take the unit back and re-install slimserver on a drive if it dies.

I don't know where he would stand on installing Slimserver on a barebones TS-101 from another vendor though.

Heuer
2006-04-29, 09:24
so it's installed on the HD? so if the HD crashes it's goodbye slimserver?

Thanks for you quick response!

Martijn

Much the same as if it was on your PC! Progressive offer to rebuild (at a cost) the HD with Slimserver but you will have lost the music unless you backup.

Fifer
2006-04-29, 10:05
Much the same as if it was on your PC! Progressive offer to rebuild (at a cost) the HD with Slimserver but you will have lost the music unless you backup.
I seem to recall that Paul stated they would rebuilt at no cost (other than shipment charges) for those who purchased from Progressive originally.

Heuer
2006-04-30, 05:28
True - I meant to say materials cost i.e. a new hard disk required.