PDA

View Full Version : Has anoybody used the Squeezebox successfully in the UK?

rjalderson
2006-04-29, 00:14
Any issues I should know about before ordering a Squeezebox for use in London, UK? Does it pick up UK radio stations? Assuming I'll need an adaptor plug. Anything else?

Any help gratefully received.

Richard.

Chippy
2006-04-29, 00:19
I'm using an SB1 and 2 SB3s in the UK, and can vouch for many other installations!

As far as ordering is concerned, you have a few options:

Order from SlimDevices in the US - and specify in the order that you need UK spec. They will ship the appropriate country kit, including power supply, etc. This option appears cheaper at first, but don't forget that customs may sting you with VAT and import duty. Also, you will have to ship the devices back to the US for any warranty issues.

Order from one of the many UK based resellers: I've used http://www.multitask-computing.co.uk/ but there are many others: Try Googling "Squeezebox UK".

eBay...

etc

"Does it pick up UK radio stations?" Out of the box, I listen to BBC Radio 5 Live, Capital FM, Virgin, etc. There are others. You can also configure additional stations with a little work...

Edit: Obviously the SB plays the internet radio streams. It's not 'picking them up' directly over the air. You knew that!! :)

Chippy

obi1kenobe
2006-04-29, 00:27
I've had my SB3 for about two week now.

Got it from scan on one of their 'Today Only' deals for just under 190

Works great in UK, very impressed!!

Richie
2006-04-29, 00:31
> Any issues I should know about before ordering a Squeezebox for use in
> London, UK? Does it pick up UK radio stations? Assuming I'll need an
> adaptor plug. Anything else?

I think you'll find there's quite a few of us using them in the UK.
You shouldn't have any problems.

Not quite sure what you meant about the radio stations but just to
clarify, it doesn't work as a FM/AM tuner, it can 'tune in' to radio
broadcast over the internet. The only restriction then is whether your
favourite station has an internet stream and the format it is in. A
lot of people use a plugin called AlienBBC to help use the BBC radio
stations with the Squeezebox.

If you buy from a UK dealer you won't need an adaptor plug. I've
always used www.multitask-computing.co.uk and found them very helpful.
Other retailers include www.advancedmp3players.co.uk and
www.cooltopia.com and even www.dabs.com.

Hope this helps.

Richard

stevieweevie
2006-04-29, 00:34
Any issues I should know about before ordering a Squeezebox for use in London, UK? Does it pick up UK radio stations? Assuming I'll need an adaptor plug. Anything else?

Any help gratefully received.

Richard.

I ordered mine from http://www.Dabs.co.uk

It comes with a UK Plug - you'll need to supply your own Ethernet Network cable etc if you use it wired.

You'll need a always on Broadband internet connection to listen to UK Internet Radio - and a way to plug the Squeezebox into your home network.

rjalderson
2006-04-29, 00:49
Thanks to you all for your prompt and helpful replies!

Richard.

oreillymj
2006-04-29, 01:54
Richard,

Out of the box, the SB will support internet radio stations streaming in Windows medai format.
Will a little extra work, you can also get it to playback radio stations using the "Real" media streaming format.

For some reason the BBC stream most of it's stations using Real, but 5 live is available in Windows media format.

Slim operate an on-line "favourites" system that you can connect to with your PC off, and it already has a number of London based stations stored on it.

Mick

funkstar
2006-04-29, 02:54
Uk Resellers:
http://www.slimdevices.com/au_resellers.html#uk

and here is a page from the Wiki about Internet Radio:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?InternetRadio

hope this is of help to you :)

Fifer
2006-04-29, 02:56
Another vote of confidence. I've been using a SB1 for years and a SB2 since it was launched. There is nothing country specific other than the PSU and any bought in the UK should be UK models with the correct supply. I am trying to justify buying a SB3 which I don't really need ...

davidcotton
2006-04-29, 03:09
I ordered mine from http://www.Dabs.co.uk

It comes with a UK Plug - you'll need to supply your own Ethernet Network cable etc if you use it wired.

You'll need a always on Broadband internet connection to listen to UK Internet Radio - and a way to plug the Squeezebox into your home network.

My wired version (don't have wireless router)came with a 10ft ethernet cable supplied.

MrStan
2006-04-29, 03:26
Absolutely no problems here. Ordered mine from Scan and received it 18 hours later. Worked straight from the box and hasn't given a single problem since.

Add the Alien BBC Plugin to receive all of the BBC Radio Programmes and many others from the Internet. Also allows you to replay any programme from the previous week.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 05:51
My wired version (don't have wireless router)came with a 10ft ethernet cable supplied.
Yes, wired ones come with a complementary cable.
Wireless ones don't.

twynne
2006-05-01, 14:11
Came across this post as I was looking for a way to get Capital FM streaming via my Slimp3 and/or SB3. I've only been testing with the Slim (as it's closest to me at the moment), but can't quite seem to get it working. The URL I've been using is:

http://audio3.musicradio.com/capitalsuperhi

When I try to tune this in, I get 'WMA Convert error - check file types' displayed on the Slim.

Is this an issue particular to the slim, or do I have something configured incorrectly? I was under the impression it's possible to transcode radio stations, so if transcoding to MP3 anyway I can't see why it wouldn't work on the Slim. If I need to change convert.conf, can anyone offer any pointers?

Thanks,

Tom

rick's cafe
2006-05-02, 06:27
Go To Internet Radio --> Slim Devices Picks --> By City --> London

Then Scroll To Capital Fm

twynne
2006-05-02, 10:49
Hmm... thanks, but when I go to Slim Devices Picks I don't have a 'By city' option... going right from this menu takes me directly into the list of their favs. Is there something that must be enabled somewhere?? Could this menu be disabled on a Slimp3???

Thanks,

Tom

oreillymj
2006-05-02, 12:54
Go to Slim Devices Picks->Best Of Internet Radio
Press DOWN
By Genre
Press DOWN
By City
Press Right
Press button 5 on the keypad and the menu will jump straight to London

twynne
2006-05-02, 13:04
Thanks - I've posted this separately in the forum and it appears that menu only comes with Squeezenetwork, which unfortunately doesn't work with the Slimp3 (only Squeezebox). So while that covers me in the lounge, is there any way to just add Capital manually so that it works on a Slimp3?

Cheers,

Tom

geoff.sim
2006-11-07, 07:14
Go to Slim Devices Picks->Best Of Internet Radio
Press DOWN
By Genre
Press DOWN
By City
Press Right
Press button 5 on the keypad and the menu will jump straight to London

Mine refuses to connect to capital.