PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Slim server - refuse to start

The=Fox
2006-04-28, 14:34
Hie,
I have SB3 cable connected.
I recently upgraded to version 6.2.2 from version 6.2.1.
Today for no reason, when I tried to start the Slimserver on my computer It refused to start, it simply hangs there.
Also, trying to get an IP on the Squeezebox itself automaticly via DHCP fails, "Couldn't find DHCP server"
I tried to restart the Computer 3 times and it didnt helped, I uninstalled and reinstalled the program and it didnt helped.
I looked at the application log on my OS (Win XP Sp2) and I get an error that Repeats itself which contains this text:

----------------------------------------------------------
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "PushSelf" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 132.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Please help me for I am very frustrated with this problem.
Thank you !

ewarner
2006-04-28, 18:19
I also upgraded from 6.2.1 to the GA release of 6.2.2 and am experiencing the identical problem. After installation, the SlimServer service fails with the following errors in the event log:

1) The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: DeleteService failed: The specified service has been marked for deletion

2) The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "PushSelf" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 132.

I uninstalled 6.2.2 and installed the latest nightly (04/28) of 6.3.0. It also experienced the problem. Backing off to 6.2.1 solved the problem.

O/S: Windows XP, SP2

Michaelwagner
2006-04-28, 19:29
There would appear to be three different problems here:

The first poster described a DHCP problem. "Couldn't find DHCP server" is extremely unlikely to be a Slimserver problem. It means your DHCP server (usually a router in a windows environment, more complex in a linux or unix environment) is down.

The second problem was identical to both writers:
the message

Can't call method "PushSelf" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 132.
needs to be reported via the bug reporting mechanism to the developers. I haven't downloaded the most recent code yet, so I can't look the line number up, but a developer needs to look at the problem, perhaps will need to reproduce it, then fix it. Do either of you know how to report bugs via the bug reporting mechanism?

The third problem is this message:

DeleteService failed: The specified service has been marked for deletion.
This sounds like a problem with the installer failing to uninstall the previous version properly, but I'm not sure. It's not like any other message I've seen before. I'm not sure where to go with that one, but probably bugzilla would be a good place for it too.

scratchy
2006-04-28, 21:19
With firmware version 48, I am attempting to use DHCP.. My DHCP server (m0n0wall) logs the following:

Apr 28 21:05:56 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.3.152 to 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:56 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:40 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.3.152 to 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:40 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:32 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.3.152 to 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:32 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:28 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.3.152 to 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:28 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:26 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.3.152 to 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:26 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:25 dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.3.152 to 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3
Apr 28 21:05:25 dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:04:20:06:2d:40 via sis3

However, the squeezebox times out and says "Couldn't find DHCP server". My Wireless AP is Netgear WG302, and I am using WPA2-PSK.

When I confure the device with a static IP (10.0.3.152), it connects to SlimServer without any problem.

What's the deal with this? I would like to use DHCP!

Siduhe
2006-04-28, 21:24
Scratchy,

Have you tried rebooting your router / server ? It's worked for other people who are having problems after upgrading to 6.2.2.

btw, why don't you want to use a static IP ? They can make life a heck of a lot easier if you have lots of items on your network.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-28, 21:27
any idea why the timestamps run backwards?

scratchy
2006-04-28, 21:28
There is a chance that my Netgear Access Poing (WG302, firmware 4.2.14) is at fault.. It's been behaving a bit flaky recently. I did reboot it, but that didn't help. My DHCP server (m0n0wall) has been rebooted as well, and from the logs it works fine.

scratchy
2006-04-28, 21:30
> any idea why the timestamps run backwards?

yes -- this was copied from m0n0wall's Web-based interface, which displays logs in reverse order (most recent on top).

scratchy
2006-04-28, 21:33
> btw, why don't you want to use a static IP ? They can make life a heck of a lot easier if you have lots of items on your network.

I use m0n0wall's DHCP server to statically map MAC addresses to IP addresses -- the centralized administration is what I like.

The=Fox
2006-04-29, 06:19
There would appear to be three different problems here:

The first poster described a DHCP problem. "Couldn't find DHCP server" is extremely unlikely to be a Slimserver problem. It means your DHCP server (usually a router in a windows environment, more complex in a linux or unix environment) is down.

The second problem was identical to both writers:
the message

needs to be reported via the bug reporting mechanism to the developers. I haven't downloaded the most recent code yet, so I can't look the line number up, but a developer needs to look at the problem, perhaps will need to reproduce it, then fix it. Do either of you know how to report bugs via the bug reporting mechanism?

that is what I thought, so I went to check if the DHCP service was down or something but it was working, I tried to restart it, but it didnt helped.

About the first problem I really dont know how it is related to each other.

I will happily open a bug at the Bug Reporting system, it will be like walking in the park for me, as I am working as software tester :-)

I contacted tech support with one reply that suggested to check if the slimserver service is installed and I replied that it is, ever since I had no reply.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 06:31
that is what I thought, so I went to check if the DHCP service was down or something but it was working, I tried to restart it, but it didnt helped.
Try restarting both it and your router/switch/hub, as appropriate. Some of them cache state information that seems to be getting confused a lot recently.

I will happily open a bug at the Bug Reporting system, it will be like walking in the park for me, as I am working as software tester :-)

The place is http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ . You will have to create a userid if you have never used this bug reporter before. It can be anything. It doesn't need to be related to the userid you use for this forum. It will create a cookie on your computer. You'll need to re-sign in on every computer you go to bug reporter with.

I contacted tech support with one reply that suggested to check if the slimserver service is installed and I replied that it is, ever since I had no reply.
Usually they're pretty good about getting back to people, but there are 2 caveats:
1. they only work office hours in Pacific Time, and they don't work weekends.
2. some ISPs spam filters seem to catch the formulaic text that their report answering system uses. So check if your ISP is trapping their emails and white list them if you have that option.

radish
2006-04-29, 07:00
Whenever I have DHCP issues with my squeezeboxes a factory reset fixes it. Every time.

Factory reset: unplug power, hold down Add on the remote, reconnect power, wait for "Factory reset" message, release Add.

The=Fox
2006-04-29, 07:17
Try restarting both it and your router/switch/hub, as appropriate. Some of them cache state information that seems to be getting confused a lot recently.

The place is http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ . You will have to create a userid if you have never used this bug reporter before. It can be anything. It doesn't need to be related to the userid you use for this forum. It will create a cookie on your computer. You'll need to re-sign in on every computer you go to bug reporter with.

Usually they're pretty good about getting back to people, but there are 2 caveats:
1. they only work office hours in Pacific Time, and they don't work weekends.
2. some ISPs spam filters seem to catch the formulaic text that their report answering system uses. So check if your ISP is trapping their emails and white list them if you have that option.

I dont have a router, the SB3 is connected directly into my Ethernet card.

radish- > thanks I will try that and let you know.
Reset to Factory defaults didnt helped, now what ?

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 07:30
Are you using a cross-over cable?

Just curious ... why the direct connection?

The=Fox
2006-04-29, 07:44
No, I am Using Regular cable.
Why Direct ?
I use it as a DAC actually, while most of my music is on my computer I find it nice and with good quality sound, It sits on my desktop, and then connected to my Headphone Amp.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 07:56
Well, in theory such a connection requires a cross-over cable.

However, it is possible for one end or the other to detect the situation and internally cross over. I don't know if the squeezebox does this or not. If not, then your computer network interface must be doing it.

Did you recently change ports?

The=Fox
2006-04-29, 08:08
Hamm, Why Cross cable ? is the SB3 is actually an Ethernet card ? if you look at it in terms of computers.

I didnt changed ports or anything actually.
The most recent thing i Have done is to upgeade to the New version (6.2.2), which worked perfect after that for a day.
but then yesterday I tried to turn on the Slimserver and bam, here we are trying to solve this problem.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 08:16
Usually, ethernet cables are wired to go between a device and a router or switch or between a computer port and a switch (or router).

To go directly from a computer port to a device without a router or switch in between requires, in theory, a different wiring of the cable.

This cable configuration is usually called a cross-over cable (because of the way the wiring diagram for them isn't straightforward but 2 pairs of wires are crossed over each other).

It may be unrelated to your problem but in theory the setup you describe requires a cross-over cable. At least it would in older hardware.

Some newer hardware is able to sense when a computer is wired directly to a device (or equivalently, when a cross-over cable is used and not needed).

If it worked before and you changed nothing hardware wise, not the cable, not the port, etc, then this is probably a red herring.

The=Fox
2006-04-29, 08:51
I know whats cross cable is, I actually even made one myself.
I know that some devices can sense if its regular or corss cable, it forgot the name of that Tehcnology.

Yahh I dont see how it is related to the Main Problem, it might be derived from it.

Any suggestions on the Main problem ?

Thanks !

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 09:04
You had 2 main problems, the DHCP one and the PushSelf one.

For the DHCP, you could assign a static IP for now. On your little subnet of just your computer and your SB, it shouldn't be complex.

Do you have 2 network cards in this PC?

For the other problem, you'll need to file a bug report, as per my directions before. The pushself call is a coding error in Slimserver, and a developer will have to look at it and fix it.

They sometimes troll here, sometimes not. You'll get faster attention filing the bug report.

P.S. If you're not comfortable filing a bug report, I can do it for you. But since I don't have the problem and I can't reproduce it, you'll have to follow the bug report and if a developer asks for help in reproduction, you'll have to do it.

The=Fox
2006-04-29, 09:31
yahh I do have 2 Network Cards on my computers.

Second: yes I know how bug reporting and fixing works, Its my daily work as i said, :-)
If you know what is "To be repeated" ;) hehe.
I'll open the Bug Report. hope to get more attention there. thanks.

ndwg
2006-05-10, 08:42
For anyone else out there who has run into this bug, you can find more information at:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3349

It has been fixed in the yet-to-be-released 6.3.x branch:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.3.0/

I assume this falls under "use at your own risk".

ModelCitizen
2006-05-10, 14:52
I've been using the full 6.2.2 since it was released with no problems, but yesterday it stopped starting. I had not changed one thing. The error message in Event viewer was very similar to the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread, but did not mention Perl or a line number for the error, e.g:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: OpenService failed: The specified service does not exist as an installed service

I have now updated to todays nightly of 6.3.0 (SlimServer_6_3_x_v2006-05-10.exe) and find that the install won't finish completely and SlimServer still won't start up. I am left with an open dos window stating "Slimsvc installed as SlimServer" and the SlimServer set up window hanging at "Finishing Installation". Holding my mouse over the tray icon does not display SlimServer starting, as expected, but SlimServer stopped instead. In Services however it appears to be starting.... but it isn't finishing starting up. My SlimServer laptop is whirring. Slim.exe is using 10% of my (admittedly small) processor power.

I have two others error in my event log, which seem to have been going on at least as long as SlimServer has been trying to start (a day and a half):

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

and

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 800706BA from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemo bj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

All else about my SlimServer laptop seems to be functioning OK (although there is nothing on it but a cut down Windows XP and SlimServer).

I'm not sure if these errors are due to some SlimServer vagary or because the machine is about to give up the ghost.

I've not added to the bug cos I'm not certain I'm experiencing the same thing as the others on this thread.

I have Netgear router based DHCP serving out fixed IPs. I have rebooted every device on my network to no avail.

My laptop is still whirring.

MC

ModelCitizen
2006-05-12, 23:28
Since receiving these errors in my event log coupled with a non-starting SlimServer:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: OpenService failed: The specified service does not exist as an installed service

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 800706BA from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemo bj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

I have completely removed SlimServer from my machine and thrown my Squeezebox out of the window......

No I haven't. I have completely uninstalled SlimServer and reinstalled the latest nightly (vanilla) and SlimServer now works.

However, my imression is that there is some unresolved bug somewhere in 6.2/6.3 (possibly related to but not the same as the one reported as a result of this thread). I am half expecting the same problem to arise with my new install.

MC