PDA

View Full Version : Files sort in weird order: 1, 10, 11, 2, 3...is there a fix?

dukelaw
2006-04-26, 19:43
The Windows file explorer alphabetizes files in this order:

Q1.flac
Q2.flac
Q3.flac
Q10.flac
Q11.flac

Squeezebox sorts them this way:

Q1.flac
Q10.flac
Q11.flac
Q2.flac
Q3.flac

Almost always, the Windows style is what I want.

Is there some plugin or setting I can use to get Squeezebox to sort in Windows style?

I know some suggest using track # tags to avoid this, but that's not an ideal solution for me. Say you have a two CD set of the Goldberg Variations, with 16 variations on each disk. I label the tracks GV.1, GV.2, etc. , on the first disk, and start with GV.17, GV.18 on the second disk, so they can all go into the same directory on hard disk. If I use track #'s, GV.1 and GV.17 will both be track #1.

Thanks much if you can point me to a workaround. I'm constantly hearing things in the wrong order so you'd be saving me a lot of frustration.

db122
2006-04-26, 20:27
The Windows file explorer alphabetizes files in this order:

Q1.flac
Q2.flac
Q3.flac
Q10.flac
Q11.flac

You could rename your files to:

Q01.flac
Q02.flac
Q03.flac
Q10.flac
Q11.flac

ceejay
2006-04-26, 23:48
I know some suggest using track # tags to avoid this, but that's not an ideal solution for me. Say you have a two CD set of the Goldberg Variations, with 16 variations on each disk. I label the tracks GV.1, GV.2, etc. , on the first disk, and start with GV.17, GV.18 on the second disk, so they can all go into the same directory on hard disk. If I use track #'s, GV.1 and GV.17 will both be track #1.

OK, so you are ripping a double CD and putting both parts in one directory so you can conveniently play it in one go... Why not use tracknumber tags but edit them (using mp3tag or similar) so the second lot start at 17 ... it will only take 30 seconds or so to do this!

You don't have to put both discs in one directory, either: an alternative approach is to leave them in separate directories but fix the Album tag so they all say "Goldberg Variations".

By not using tags, you are missing out on several opportunities for slimserver to make your life easier!

But, if you must, db122's suggestion should work for you!

Ceejay

snarlydwarf
2006-04-27, 08:15

That's what the discnumber tag is for. :) Or you can just run them all sequentially and make a 'virtual disc'.

funkstar
2006-04-27, 08:33
Yeah, with your tags all sorted out correctly, the tracks for "Goldberg Variations" will be numbered 1-01, 1-02, 1-03...2-01, 2-02 etc.

dukelaw
2006-04-27, 11:12
Thanks for these suggestions!

My problem is I have thousands of files and would prefer not to rename the many numbered ones to a leading zero format, like "Q 01.flac". Or to start dealing with the track and disk tags, which I have been totally ignoring.

If I could only get Squeezebox to sort Windows style...

I wonder if there is any advantage for anyone in this 1, 11, 12, 2, 3, ordering? Can you think of a situation where that seems like the right order for a group of files?

I wonder if a plugin can be written to change the sort behavior. I was a programmer for many years, but I really lack the time and zeal for a project like that now that I'm back in school.

Oh well I do appreciate your comments, and I'm sorry I'm being pissy in not finding them helpful.

DJMUK
2006-04-27, 11:47
I wonder if there is any advantage for anyone in this 1, 11, 12, 2, 3, ordering? Can you think of a situation where that seems like the right order for a group of files?

I believe this is the 'normal' way these files would be listed in an application that only does basic ASCII sorting. Try opening a DOS prompt in Windows and do a 'DIR /on' (the /on tells it to list by filename alphabetically) on the directory and you will get that order. Windows File Explorer obviously uses a more intelligent sorting system.

The facility to browse directories in Slimserver was simplified some time ago because people using old hardware complained about performance.

I would suggest you follow the suggestion made by Ceejay in an earlier post and use MP3tag (it's free) to either set track number tags (and preferable the other basic tags) and/or rename the files to have leading zeros. MP3tag can deal with thousands of files very quickly. It will be time well spent.

David

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-27, 12:37
Mp3tag makes batch-renaming files trivial. However if you don't have track tags but wish to use them, you'll have to do it manually.

dukelaw
2006-04-29, 10:50
Thanks, I have updated my tags. But I think I've run into a "gotcha."

My problem is I navigate by "Browse Music Folder," which seems to forcibly present file names only. They get sorted the undesirable Squeezebox-alphabetical way, not by disk and track # tags.

(I use Browse Music Folder because my collection is pretty big, and I need 4 or 5 layers of subdirectories to keep it manageable).

Is there any way to force Browse Music Folder to use my nice new disk and track # tags?

By the way, someone has already written up the alphabetical sort problem as a bug:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2563

Thanks for your expertise and suggestions!

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 10:58
This enhancement request has been made some time ago and it's right on track for your needs:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2808

Vote for it

dukelaw
2006-05-02, 08:41
Slight update on status:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2563

dan@slimdevices.com changed:

Status|NEW |ASSIGNED

--- Comment #5 from dan@slimdevices.com 2006-05-01 14:12 ---
This isn't fixable until 6.5 when we move to MySQL.

We need to either use:

ORDER BY SOUNDEX(title);

or:

ORDER BY title + 0;

in order to force a numeric comparison on a alphanumeric column.

slimpy
2006-05-02, 09:38
It's a trivial task for any programmer to write a small utility that traverses your music library recursively and adds 0s to the numbers where appropriate.
Look at the first 5 (or so) characters in filename.
If there is a digit look at the next character.
If the next character is not a digit insert 0 before current character.
This works for albums with track numbers up to 99 (probably 99% of all cases)

-s.

Ben Sandee
2006-05-02, 10:13
On 5/2/06, dukelaw <dukelaw.276ssz1146584701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Slight update on status:
>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2563

Duke,

It's really not necessary to update people on the bug status. If anyone
else is interested they can subscribe to the bug in bugzilla.

Ben