PDA

View Full Version : Does Slimserver write/modify tags?

egd
2006-04-25, 16:03
Hello all

I'm in the process of tidying my collection, correcting tags etc. and backing up as I go. I carried out a complete backup a while back and and am now making periodic incremental backups as I progress through the cleanup. My incremental backup strategy is based on the archive attribute of individual files AND my assumption that slimserver DOES NOT in any way modify the audio files, ie the Archive attribute is therefore not affected by slimserver and my incrementals are only backing up what I have changed?

Fair assumption or is it an ASSumption?

JJZolx
2006-04-25, 16:36
Hello all

I'm in the process of tidying my collection, correcting tags etc. and backing up as I go. I carried out a complete backup a while back and and am now making periodic incremental backups as I progress through the cleanup. My incremental backup strategy is based on the archive attribute of individual files AND my assumption that slimserver DOES NOT in any way modify the audio files, ie the Archive attribute is therefore not affected by slimserver and my incrementals are only backing up what I have changed?

Fair assumption or is it an ASSumption?
Fair. SlimServer won't alter the music files. It has the ability to write playlist files, though. But I imagine that it doesn't do anything special with the archive attribute and that it will be set by the OS, as with any other new or modified file.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of using a standard backup strategy, though. You could just use mirroring/synching software (I use robocopy on Windows) to accomplish the same thing. As long as modified files get an updated last-modified time, you're good to go.

egd
2006-04-25, 17:02
I wouldn't go to the trouble of using a standard backup strategy, though. You could just use mirroring/synching software (I use robocopy on Windows) to accomplish the same thing. As long as modified files get an updated last-modified time, you're good to go.

Thx for your response. I considered mirror/sync as an option, but opted for a tape based master in case of HDD failure. Reripping close to 2000 CD's is not an option if I am to retain my sanity. Battling with the NV througput is about all I can take at the moment.

JJZolx
2006-04-25, 17:17
Thx for your response. I considered mirror/sync as an option, but opted for a tape based master in case of HDD failure. Reripping close to 2000 CD's is not an option if I am to retain my sanity. Battling with the NV througput is about all I can take at the moment.
I agree, protecting 2000 CDs worth of ripping and tagging labor is not an optional backup situation.

A gigabit switch did wonders for throughput to/from my Infrant ReadyNAS 600. I've also found that the speed of the client machine has a significant effect on throughput. I'm using jumbo frames, but I don't think the benefit is worth much, particularly if you have any smaller files, such as artwork, CUE sheets, or EAC logs, thrown into a transfer.