PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Static IP address question

don_quay
2006-04-25, 08:48
I've got two SB2's, both of which were working fine on my wireless network for months until I tried to get smart and added a laptop to the network. Now the SB2 in the bedroom won't connect to the network. The living room SB2 continues to work just fine.

It is "Obtain IP address Automatically", and showing a dodgy 169 IP address. It can see the SSID of the network. I input the SPK the same as on the other SB2.

After reading various threads on this issue, I want to change to a static IP address on the SB2, but I can't work out how to do it.

When I go back to the main menu on the SB2 (by pressing LEFT), I get "Set Up Networking" and "View Current Settings", but nothing which allows me to change the IP address assignation method.

I'm using an Actiontec router, Win XP.

I've swapped from simple 128 WEP to a combination of WPE and MAC authentication, still with the same problem.

Can anyone tell me how to swap to static IP address?

Thanks!

JJZolx
2006-04-25, 10:48
I've got two SB2's, both of which were working fine on my wireless network for months until I tried to get smart and added a laptop to the network. Now the SB2 in the bedroom won't connect to the network. The living room SB2 continues to work just fine.

It is "Obtain IP address Automatically", and showing a dodgy 169 IP address. It can see the SSID of the network. I input the SPK the same as on the other SB2.

After reading various threads on this issue, I want to change to a static IP address on the SB2, but I can't work out how to do it.

When I go back to the main menu on the SB2 (by pressing LEFT), I get "Set Up Networking" and "View Current Settings", but nothing which allows me to change the IP address assignation method.

I'm using an Actiontec router, Win XP.

I've swapped from simple 128 WEP to a combination of WPE and MAC authentication, still with the same problem.

Can anyone tell me how to swap to static IP address?
Which version of the firmware are you running on your SB2?

I think there may have been a recent change to the setup behavior. I just tried this on my SB2 and once you get past the entry of the WEP/WPA key and the device connects to the wireless network, there used to be a step where you selected whether to get an IP address automatically, or enter one manually. It appears to now skip this step now, although I'm guessing that this is only if there's an old setting already there.

The newest firmware still seems to have some rough spots. I then changed the WPA key before going back and trying to rekey in the old WPA key and now can't get past about 30 characters before getting a malloc (memory allocation) error that causes the SB to reboot.

don_quay
2006-04-25, 12:15
I'm on firmware 26.

Did a hard reset (holding the Add key etc). Now I've got IP address of 0.0.0.0, and still failing to connect to the network.

don_quay
2006-04-25, 12:39
I can make it connect if I turn off the WPE security.

Once I'd turned WPE off at the router, I can connect.

Then I can either have static or auto assigned IP address. However, as soon as I turn the WPE back on I can no longer connect (even though all the IP information is retained and correct).

I don't really want to have all security off, and can't understand how one SB2 (in the living room) will connect no problem using WPE but the upstairs one will not. I have tried re-entering the PSK on the upstairs SB2, but it hasn't helped.

What else could be causing the problem? Is there a firmware update that could fix this?

JJZolx
2006-04-25, 12:45
I can make it connect if I turn off the WPE security.

Once I'd turned WPE off at the router, I can connect.

Then I can either have static or auto assigned IP address. However, as soon as I turn the WPE back on I can no longer connect (even though all the IP information is retained and correct).

I don't really want to have all security off, and can't understand how one SB2 (in the living room) will connect no problem using WPE but the upstairs one will not. I have tried re-entering the PSK on the upstairs SB2, but it hasn't helped.

What else could be causing the problem? Is there a firmware update that could fix this?
If you upgrade to the latest SlimServer 6.2.2 nightly you'll have the latest firmware. A lot of wireless issues have been addressed since FW 26. Version 6.2.2 should be 'officially' released within the next week or so if you want to wait.

don_quay
2006-04-25, 13:15
Thanks very much for your help.

I downloaded tonights build, refreshed the firmware and now I'm up and running on both squeezeboxes again! Hooray!

Just need to see if putting the laptop back on the network makes it all go pear-shaped again, but that's a job for another day...

Thanks again.