PDA

View Full Version : Flash skin for PSP with FW2.7

oreillymj
2006-04-25, 03:17
FW 2.7 is finally out for the PSP with Flash 6 support.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64055

I'd love to see a nice feature packed interactive skin for the PSP using flash which could wipe the smile off the smug faces of those steeeenkin' Sonos owners.

Only kidding, but it does open some cool possibilities.

Now that I think about it. The DS would make a great budget controller if Nintendo every offered a browser with flash support. 1 screen could host playback controls with a virtual on-screen scroll wheel.

The other could display track and playlist info.

Mike Meyer
2006-06-14, 08:22
Someone a while back posted that the Nintendo DS was going to be getting a browser which would open up a SlimServer skin possibility. Has anyone heard anything recently on when this browser might become reality?

azinck3
2006-06-14, 10:38
Someone a while back posted that the Nintendo DS was going to be getting a browser which would open up a SlimServer skin possibility. Has anyone heard anything recently on when this browser might become reality?

The browser is opera (so the nokia 770 skin should be able to be leveraged as a strong starting point). Seems like I saw a November or December US release date estimated somewhere. And it's supposedly going to be released in Japan this month.

Mike Meyer
2006-06-14, 11:27
Thanks for the info. It'll be cool to see how well the DS does as a remote. The release of the new Nintendo DS Lite is what reminded me of this. But that is just lighter and brighter.

azinck3
2006-06-14, 13:09
Unfortunately the word is that the DS browser won't support flash.

CardinalFang
2006-06-14, 14:15
I'd love to see a nice feature packed interactive skin for the PSP using flash which could wipe the smile off the smug faces of those steeeenkin' Sonos owners.

The problem I found was that the PSP is only 802.11b, so to use it you also slowed down your wireless network. Of course if your SB is wired, that's not a problem, or if you have two Wifi routers, one set to b and one to g and configured to talk to specific devices, that would be OK too.

Haing said all that, the display is gorgeous and I'd love to have a Sonos type browser in there using Flash - or native code if they'd open it up to home brew:-(

Lowrent
2006-06-14, 19:34
I started a html skin for the PSP (with some dynamic update features). The browser is a bit slow to my taste. (see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerPSPskin)

I would dream of doing it native, a screaming fast interface exploiting all the buttons... but few people could run it as you probably know :(

Maybe i'll take a look at flash later... after the skin is finished.

Lowrent
2006-06-14, 19:37
The problem I found was that the PSP is only 802.11b, so to use it you also slowed down your wireless network.

On my Linksys wifi router, i get this in the wireless options :

Mode
From this drop-down menu, you can select the wireless standards running on your network. If you have both 802.11g and 802.11b devices in your network, keep the default setting, Mixed. If you have only 802.11g devices, select G-only. If you have only 802.11b devices, select B-only.

Do you think my network is slowed down when I use my psp like you're saying ?

Lowrent
2006-06-14, 22:55
Hey, it's me again.

A couple of hours since my last post. I decided to go ahead and look at the flash possibility. I achieved to display the name of the current song playing on my 2.7 psp in a flash object.

Data is transfered via XML.

I think i'll ditch my html skin project...
But first, i'll check the flash dynamic update speed and overall performance.

mherger
2006-06-14, 23:53
> Data is transfered via XML.

Maybe you'd want to try accessing slimserver using the CLI, too. It might
be better for your needs than parsing XML. Just a thought...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

CardinalFang
2006-06-15, 00:39
Do you think my network is slowed down when I use my psp like you're saying ?
You need to check the specs on your router - mine definitely did and I could see the difference on the speeds my laptop reported, but it was an early 802.11g device. There will be some degredation and in the worst case the whole network might run at b speeds, but it is dependant on what hardware you are using.

PS I should add that it never affected Apple Lossless data reaching the squeezebox, so perhaps I shouldn't worry!

oreillymj
2006-06-15, 01:28
I think that part of the 802.11G protocol is the backward compatibility to support 802.11B clients. In any mixed-mode network the 802.11G clients will see a slowdown if there are any 802.11B clients on the network also.

BTW - I thought I'd see how difficult an on-screen scroll wheel would be. Attached is a zip with a single html/javascript page and image.

The image is broken into segments using an image map. Moving around the segments clockwise increases the "volume". Anit-clockwise descreases the volume.
It's pretty simple, it doesn't support ramping the volume increase based on the speed of moving round the wheel but that could be done without too much code.

Other functions could be implemented pretty easily also. The buttons and hub also pick up button clicks.

Worth adding to the touch screen skins?

Lowrent
2006-06-15, 08:10
> Data is transfered via XML.

Maybe you'd want to try accessing slimserver using the CLI, too. It might
be better for your needs than parsing XML. Just a thought...

Can you explain a little bit please ?
Is this done via http ?

Lowrent
2006-06-21, 10:24
Check my last update :
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerPSPskin

rick's cafe
2006-06-28, 02:06
Lowrent - Read the wiki on your progress.. do I take it that the project is now abandoned or is there still a glimmer of hope ?

Lowrent
2006-06-28, 21:38
Lowrent - Read the wiki on your progress.. do I take it that the project is now abandoned or is there still a glimmer of hope ?

Ah man... it is SO frustrating. Every time I had a good idea, there was something in the way.

At the moment, I have way too much stuff to take care of (moving in 2 days, unpacking, europe for a month, my Lego NXT arrived).

You can still try the unfinished html skin. If you think it could be nice to get all the features working, maybe i'll try to finish it. But it is too slow for my taste.

I wanted a fast interface and the only way to do this is to keep the connection alive and talk directly to the command line interface. Something the PSP can't do (at the moment...).

I'll get back on this in august.
Have a nice summer.

rick's cafe
2006-06-29, 01:47
Hi Lowrent

good luck on the move and enjoy your travels in europe... thus far the weather on this side of the world has been very good so with any luck (for us all) it will hold! ;-)

If you send me a link or PM me a copy of the skin in current form I will have a go and give you my feed back if it helps

take care

Rick

Lowrent
2006-06-29, 05:32
If you send me a link or PM me a copy of the skin in current form I will have a go and give you my feed back if it helps

Hi Rick, the skin is attached in the wiki page since a couple of weeks.

Enjoy!