PDA

View Full Version : Rescan grinds slimserver and freezes SB

smc2911
2006-04-25, 02:59
I started having problems with "Clear library and rescan everything" on the last release (using deb package), and I've just upgraded to the latest build and the problem persists. Here are the details:

* Running deb package on Ubuntu
* Library contains 463 albums with 6487 songs by 251 artists
* Haven't added new music for a little while, but I've been adding some cover art
* Clear and rescan seems to be the only way to pick up new thumbs, so I've been doing that quite a bit over the last week or so
* With the last two builds, I've found that the server really grinds when I do a rescan: the web interface takes ages to respond
* While the SB will continue to play, it does not respond to the remote
* Eventually the playback freezes (although interestingly, once or twice this happened *after* the scan had finished, but I suspect that this was just because the SB had enough in it's buffer to last a bit longer) and I have to disconnect from the power.
* If I disconnect the SB power during the rescan, the SB is unable to connect to the server until the scan has finished
* Finally, there are a small number of thumbs that no longer appear in Browse Artwork (the images have not changed and used to appear using an older build).
* An example of the missing artwork is: in the folder \home\music\Miles Davis\Amandla I have 8 ogg tracks, a 300x300 album.jpg and 100x100 thumb.jpg. Other folders with the same sorts of files appear fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Perhaps I should pst a bug report...I'll have to work out how to do that.

Sean.

P.S. I don't think that this is related to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23228 as I have no APE files.

Edit: I should add that I'm using 6.5b1 rather than 6.2.2

smc2911
2006-04-25, 17:46
By the way, it's not a wireless issue: accessing the slimserver through the web interface from a PC with a wired interface to the server box shows the same behaviour. Previously I was able to browse during a scan on either a web interface or the SB.

Sean.

smc2911
2006-04-26, 03:10
Nothing like answering your own question, but here goes.

1. Slimserver grinding.

I should have realised that I had done something different. Although I had not added any new music I had made a new playlist (all the music the significant other likes). Turning on d_scan and running tail -f /var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log while triggering a clear & rescan, it became clear that the poor performance all occurred when scanning the playlist, not the music collection itself. Now the playlist was pretty long (around 5000 tracks) and to make matters worse, I had set my music directory to /home/music and playlist directory to /home/music/playlists which meant that the playlist was actually scanned twice (aside: do I correctly deduce from this that it is better not to have your playlists directory a sub-directory of your music root). Temporarily removing the offending playlist massively improved performance.

2. Disappearing Artwork (I)

Removing the playlist also restored some of my artwork. I had tidied up a few of the tags and filenames (e.g. adjusting capitalisation, trimming double spaces) and had replaced a few mp3s with oggs. The problem was I had done this after I'd created the mega playlist, so the playlist referred to files that no longer existed. Somehow this threw the artwork scanning out for the affected albums.

3. Disappearing Artwork (II)

By this point my performance had improved and I had most of the missing artwork back, but a few were still missing. For the remaining missing images, it looks as though the bug http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3245 has reappeared since all of the missing artwork sits in directories which included accented characters. Since these images were working fines a few days ago and I haven't modified those files/directories, I'd guess that the bug has returned.

Regards,
Sean.

Dan Sully
2006-04-26, 08:28
* smc2911 shaped the electrons to say...

>I should have realised that I had done something different. Although I
>had not added any new music I had made a new playlist (all the music
>the significant other likes). Turning on d_scan and running tail -f
>/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log while triggering a clear & rescan,
>it became clear that the poor performance all occurred when scanning
>the playlist, not the music collection itself. Now the playlist was
>pretty long (around 5000 tracks) and to make matters worse, I had set
>my music directory to /home/music and playlist directory to
>/home/music/playlists which meant that the playlist was actually
>scanned twice (aside: do I correctly deduce from this that it is better
>not to have your playlists directory a sub-directory of your music
>root). Temporarily removing the offending playlist massively improved
>performance.

SlimServer should skip over playlists that are under your music directory.

>By this point my performance had improved and I had most of the missing
>artwork back, but a few were still missing. For the remaining missing
>images, it looks as though the bug
>http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3245 has reappeared since
>all of the missing artwork sits in directories which included accented
>characters. Since these images were working fines a few days ago and I
>haven't modified those files/directories, I'd guess that the bug has
>returned.

This patch was applied only to 6.5. Is that what you're running?

Thanks

-D
--
<faisal> my life is collapsing to what will soon be NEGATIVE INTEGER degrees of separation.

smc2911
2006-04-26, 16:26
Yes, I was running the most recent 6.5b1 (deb package). I tend to upgrade every other day.

Looking at the d_scan logs with tail -f, there were definitely two extended periods scanning my mega playlist until I moved the playlist directory elsewhere.

Regards,
Sean.

smc2911
2006-04-27, 05:17
Just installed the latest version and I'm still having no joy with artwork for albums with accents in the path. I've put some logs below. Any suggestions as to anything else to check?

Sean.

slimserver.log:

file:///home/music/Beck/Guero/01%20-%20E-Pro%20-%20Beck.mp3
2006-04-27 22:26:30.2478 readCoverArtTags: Looking for a covert art image in the tags of: [/home/music/Beck/Guero/01 - E-Pro - Beck.mp3]
2006-04-27 22:26:30.2502 Looking for image files in /home/music/Beck/Guero
2006-04-27 22:26:30.2515 getImageContent: Image File empty or couldn't read: /home/music/Beck/Guero/ : Is a directory
2006-04-27 22:26:30.2680 Found cover file: /home/music/Beck/Guero/album.jpg
2006-04-27 22:26:30.6397 Retrieving artwork (cover) for: file:///home/music/Beck/Guero/01%20-%20E-Pro%20-%20Beck.mp3
2006-04-27 22:26:30.6409 coverArt: Found cached cover file: /home/music/Beck/Guero/album.jpg
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1098 Retrieving artwork (cover) for: file:///home/music/Serge%20Gainsbourg/Couleur%20Caf%C3%A9/01%20-%20Cha%20Cha%20Cha%20Du%20Loup%20(Instrumental)%20-%20Serge%20Gainsbourg.mp3
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1104 readCoverArtTags: Looking for a covert art image in the tags of: [/home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café/01 - Cha Cha Cha Du Loup (Instrumental) - Serge Gainsbourg.mp3]
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1128 Looking for image files in /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1141 getImageContent: Image File empty or couldn't read: /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café/ : No such file or directory
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1166 getImageContent: Image File empty or couldn't read: /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café/album.jpg : No such file or directory
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1179 getImageContent: Image File empty or couldn't read: /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café/thumb.jpg : No such file or directory

-----

Note that the directory /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café contains both an album.jpg and a thumb.jpg, which appear to be found, but cannot be read.

Dan Sully
2006-04-27, 09:16
* smc2911 shaped the electrons to say...

>Just installed the latest version and I'm still having no joy with
>artwork for albums with accents in the path. Any suggestions as to
>anything else to check?

Latest version of 6.2.2 or 6.5? Did you wipe & rescan your music?

Thanks

-D
--
There was supposed to be a big kaboom.

smc2911
2006-04-27, 16:24
Latest version of 6.5. Those logs are from a "Clear library and rescan everything". I browsed to both a directory where the artwork was found without any difficulty (Beck) and one where the artwork could not be opened (Serge Gainsbourg):

It may also be relevant to note how the directories with accented characters were created, because it spans Windows XP and Linux (ubuntu), so that may be relevant. I originally used CDex on Windows to rip to FLAC, so CDex created the directories. Due to space constraints (for the moment) on the linux server, I use ogg/mp3 files. To create these, I have a samba share of /home/music and use foobar2000 on a windows machine to do a batch creation of the compressed files copying the artist/album directory structure (initially I was using mp3 but switched to ogg when ogg performance improved massively for me on switching to 6.5). So, although I am on linux, a windows app created the directories over samba.

I am wondering whether the two different formats for the log files in the readCoverArtTags and getImageContent entries are relevant:

2006-04-27 22:26:56.1104 readCoverArtTags: Looking for a covert art image in the tags of: [/home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café/01 - Cha Cha Cha Du Loup (Instrumental) - Serge Gainsbourg.mp3]
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1128 Looking for image files in /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café
2006-04-27 22:26:56.1141 getImageContent: Image File empty or couldn't read: /home/music/Serge Gainsbourg/Couleur Café/ : No such file or directory

Regards,
Sean.