PDA

View Full Version : Plugin development and TortoiseSVN

Philip Meyer
2006-04-24, 15:20
I have a local repositry for tracking updates to a couple of plugins I'm developing. I tweak the plugins in my checkout of the slimserver repositry; periodically, I then copy this into my plugin repositry.

I was wondering if this was the best way of working. Ideally, I'd like the copy of each plugin in my slimserver/plugins folder be associated with my local plugins repositry, whilst other official plugins are associated with the slimdevices repositry. Is this possible?

Phil

max.spicer
2006-05-01, 09:43
Svn does have the concept of externals, where something in the repository is a link to something in another repository. However, I think this is done the repository itself, not in your working copy i.e. SlimDevices would have to link to your repository (not likely).

There's no reason why you can't put each of your plugins in its own folder and then put them inside your working copy. The plugins' folders can be associated with whatever repository you like, even though they are contained in a folder that is associated with Slim's repository. You have to use folders to do this though, as you obviously can't have files from different repositories under one folder. Just make sure that you don't try and check your subfolders of the Plugins folder into the main slim repository!

Max

I have a local repositry for tracking updates to a couple of plugins I'm developing. I tweak the plugins in my checkout of the slimserver repositry; periodically, I then copy this into my plugin repositry.

I was wondering if this was the best way of working. Ideally, I'd like the copy of each plugin in my slimserver/plugins folder be associated with my local plugins repositry, whilst other official plugins are associated with the slimdevices repositry. Is this possible?

Phil

kdf
2006-05-01, 10:45
my solution has been to use CVS for my own plugins. It avoids
interference in all of the support files.

Philip Meyer
2006-05-02, 11:09
>There's no reason why you can't put each of your plugins in its own
>folder and then put them inside your working copy.
I like this idea. I'll just need to change the name of the .pl files to plugin.pl within the folders for slimserver to find them correctly?

I haven't got commit permission on the slimserver repositry, so I should be safe!

Phil

max.spicer
2006-05-04, 10:51
Plugin.pm, not plugin.pl.

Max

>There's no reason why you can't put each of your plugins in its own
>folder and then put them inside your working copy.
I like this idea. I'll just need to change the name of the .pl files to plugin.pl within the folders for slimserver to find them correctly?

I haven't got commit permission on the slimserver repositry, so I should be safe!

Phil