PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to slimserver

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 11:53
Just trying to set this up today. I've referred to the manual, wiki, and forum...haven't found a solution to work for me.

My squeezebox connects to my wireless network, but doesn't connect to the slimserver. What's strange is that when I'm doing the DHCP setup, the squeezebox says that it gets an IP from my router that is a 169... number. All my other devices on my network are 192...

I tied to manually enter in the address my router says it's giving the squeezbox, 192.168.0.5, but that's not working either...Not sure if it's because I got the DNS number wrong or something. I'm not a network expert.

Can anyone help me today? Thanks.

By the way...I'm using a Netgear router and a macintosh running 10.4 os x, but I don't think is an OS issue.

-Patrick

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 12:02
I should also mention that there is no firewall settings on my mac or router turned on...

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 12:03
Did you check this page in the wiki?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 12:06
Hey Mark,

I did check out that page...Didn't notice anything that seemed to help.

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 12:35
As far as my routers concerned, is it normal for it to be seeing two devices? It's giving "EL031446" ip 192.168.0.4 and "EL031446" ip 192.168.0.5.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 12:36
Hey Mark,

I did check out that page...Didn't notice anything that seemed to help.

Hate to be snarky...but it's just the kind of thing that addresses your problem. :-)

Any suggestions anyone would give here would merely be a rehash of what's on that very page. It first addresses your router and whether that would be incompatible, then it addresses IP addressing, noting that a 169 address indicates a DHCP failure, on to encryption passphrases, MAC address filtering, etc.

If you can get a 192 address, that's when you look at DNS/gateway if you can't access SqueezeNetwork, which is covered at the bottom of the page.

About the only thing not on the page, which I'll change right now, is that you should try connecting wired first if wireless isn't working for you. Sort out IP addresses there, and if you can get that to work your problem is limited to wireless modes, encryption, SSID, etc.

Again, I don't wish to offend, but the answers are all on that page.

P.S. What router do you have, and does http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus list it as working/not working?

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 14:31
I'm sure all the answers are there, I'm just not network savy enough to put all the information into practice...Please bare with me.

I plugged in via ethernet and everything works...I'm able to get an DHCP network address, etc. I turned off all security on the wireless, and I still can't get an IP address via DHCP (wireless). So, I'm attempting to connect via static IP. I filled in a new IP address at my router under LAN settings "Address reservation"...At the Squeezebox I put that IP address in, but it still doesn't connect.

How do I make sure my, subnet mask, default gateway, and dns server numbers are right when I'm setting up with a static IP? Where do I get these from?

Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 14:43
I filled in a new IP address at my router under LAN settings "Address reservation"

This is a bit weird, haven't seen this before. What does it do? This could be screwing you up.

I have never used a network mixed with static and DHCP addresses, but from what others have posted here, you just specify an IP address outside the DHCP range but still in the same subnet, i.e. if your DHCP range is 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.10, use 192.168.0.100 as your first static IP address.

How do I make sure my, subnet mask, default gateway, and dns server numbers are right when I'm setting up with a static IP? Where do I get these from?

That is in the wiki page:

Connecting to SqueezeNetwork

Once you have your Squeezebox communicating with your router, and your Squeezebox communicating with SlimServer, what if you can't access SqueezeNetwork? You'll see a message on the Squeezebox screen reading: "Problem: can't find address for SqueezeNetwork. Press RIGHT to go on, LEFT to enter setup."

There are two items in setup which control how your Squeezebox accesses the Internet and SqueezeNetwork in particular. These are DNS server and gateway entries. All PC operating systems have commands which will indicate to you what the PC is using for DNS server and gateway. If it works for your PC, it will probably work for your Squeezebox, so you can just copy these. On Windows, go to Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt and type "ipconfig".

(Need equivalent OSX and Linux commands.)
DNS Server

All resources on the Internet, including SqueezeNetwork, have numerical IP addresses. A DNS server is an Internet server, usually run by your ISP, which resolves human-readable names like www.squeezenetwork.com into numerical IP addresses which is what computers, including Squeezeboxes, actually use to access the Internet. If your Squeezenbox reports "Problem: can't find address for SqueezeNetwork" this indicates that it was instructed to find www.squeezenetwork.com but could not resolve that name into a numerical IP address.

This means:

1. You haven't set the DNS server address properly.
2. The DNS server is slow.
3. The DNS server is not responding.
4. You don't have Internet access at all.

What DNS Server to Use?

Most routers can be configured to act as DNS servers for your local network, so you may wish to use your router address as your DNS server. Your router will obtain DNS server addresses automatically from your ISP (note these addresses can change), and each time one of your networked devices tries to access a new address they request this data from the ISP's DNS server, passing the response on to the networked device.

However, this two-step process can sometimes be too slow for the Squeezebox since routers are usually quite underpowered.

Note some DSL and cable modems can also be used as DNS servers, but may have the same problems as routers.

If you encounter problems, enter your ISP's DNS server directly in your Squeezebox's DNS server setting. You can find your ISP's DNS server addresses in your router and/or modem configuration web page. You will usually see a primary and secondary DNS server. Use the primary address.
Gateway

This is the "gateway" on your private network to the Internet, the public network. If this is not set properly, your Squeezebox won't know which networked device to go to in order to get out to the Internet to access a DNS server, find SqueezeNetwork and start playing Internet-based music. The gateway is a device which has your internal network on one side and the Internet on the other. In almost all cases, this will be your router, so enter your router's IP address here.

Unusual network configurations may use a DSL/cable modem as a gateway or a computer with two network cards acting as an Internet bridge. Always use the address of the device which has the Internet on one side and your private network on the other.

Edit: just read you have a Mac, so ipconfig won't work for you. There must be an equivalent command, I'm not sure what.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 14:47
As far as my routers concerned, is it normal for it to be seeing two devices? It's giving "EL031446" ip 192.168.0.4 and "EL031446" ip 192.168.0.5.

That's strange, the same device has two addresses. Neither one would be the Squeezebox. But this might mean you have some pre-existing network issues. Do you recognize this name? Go to Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - Computer Name. Is that what your computer is named? How about any other devices on your network?

If you have no devices on your network with that name, you may have a wireless intruder connected!

Edit: oops, I just read you have a Mac. So I'm not sure how you find your computer name.

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 15:21
Well, I'm not having the problem with that device listed anymore so, I've moved on...

I really wish this thing would just work via DHCP like all my other devices, and like it worked when I hooked it up via ethernet.

So, now I'm still trying to figure out the right static ip information. Is "gateway" just another term for my router ip address?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 15:30
Is "gateway" just another term for my router ip address?

As the wiki indicates, in most instances it is.

Gateway

This is the "gateway" on your private network to the Internet, the public network. If this is not set properly, your Squeezebox won't know which networked device to go to in order to get out to the Internet to access a DNS server, find SqueezeNetwork and start playing Internet-based music. The gateway is a device which has your internal network on one side and the Internet on the other. In almost all cases, this will be your router, so enter your router's IP address here.

Unusual network configurations may use a DSL/cable modem as a gateway or a computer with two network cards acting as an Internet bridge. Always use the address of the device which has the Internet on one side and your private network on the other.

BTW you didn't indicate what router you're using and whether http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus indicates anything about it.

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 15:40
I'm using a Netgear WGT624, from what I could tell on that page it says there are no issues...

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 15:55
OK, does it connect wirelessly with encryption off?

If so, then turn WEP on and try a very simple passphrase.

Then turn WPA on with a simple passphrase.

If a simple passphrase works, then a more complex one will work too. It's easy to make a mistake - only one character off or capitalized will invalidate the whole thing. There also won't be any indication that authentication failed.

patrickregan
2006-04-22, 15:58
I don't get it. I can't connect to the slimserver wirelessly. Neither DHCP or Static work and this is with any wireless security off. I can plug ethernet wire into the same router via DHCP and everything works great.

patrickregan
2006-04-23, 08:17
Thanks for your help Mark. I was finally able to make this work by changing a router setting. It was set to be able to use both b & g. I switched that to g only and it now works. Weird because there's only g devices on my network. Anyway that was it.

That, plus I needed to set up via static ip. For some reason DHCP isn't working for the squeezebox. Is that common?

Thanks again.

-Patrick

Michaelwagner
2006-04-23, 08:47
FWIW DHCP always works for me (and it's so much easier to use than static IPs).

There was old advice from years ago to not use DHCP, but that doesn't match my experience.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-23, 11:14
Thanks for your help Mark. I was finally able to make this work by changing a router setting. It was set to be able to use both b & g. I switched that to g only and it now works. Weird because there's only g devices on my network. Anyway that was it.

Good to hear you got it working!