PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection fales repeatetly

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 01:33
Hello
I've bought an SB3 and connected to my system using the wireless connection.
After 1 day problems appear, like
- remotecontrol did not respond
- music stops Spontaneously
- SB3 shutsdown (black)
- settings changes, like display settings for screensaver

i've the folowing setup:

- Linux (clarkconnect server) 192.168.0.1 with DHCP server
- security WPA2 (tried also WEP and NONE)
- USR wireless router, used as an Access Point
- software version: i've tried 6.2.1, 6.2.2 and 6.5.1
- Firmare: 37, 41 and 43

When i used LAN every thing is working OK.

Can somebody help me. I've tried every thing now.

Mark Norton
2006-04-22, 01:55
Fales?

Spontainencly?

dispaly?

Perhaps you should learn to spell...

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 02:44
Sorry for my language. But I'm not an English or American. I'm from The Netherlands.
Please correct the misspelled words for me !! and help me solve my problem with the SB3 where this forum is for.

ultra238a
2006-04-22, 03:17
Hi Patrick,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry that you had to get Mark as one of your first replies. Generally people on here are helpful and polite, even to people who don't have English as their first language.

If you have tried all the current available versions of SlimServrer with the new firmwares it might be worth pushing an email to support@slimdevices. Also make sure you have the very latest firmware for your USR AP.

Regards

Paul
Progressive Consumer Electronics Ltd

Sorry for my language. But I'm not an English or American. I'm from The Netherlands.
Please correct the misspelled words for me !! and help me solve my problem with the SB3 where this forum is for.

Mark Norton
2006-04-22, 03:49
You should first simplify the system as much as possible. Get it working 100% reliably on a wired connection using a Windows based SlimServer. Then change one thing at a time until it breaks. If you do not do this systematically, you have no hope of finding the problem. Ask Paul.

From that base working system, change one thing at a time, if it still works, UNDO the change and carry on with the other changes available to you until you find something that breaks...

- Windows to Linux
- Wired to Wireless
- No Security to WEP
- Router Firmware Version
- SB3 Firmware Version
- SlimServer Version
- Types of Music File

BTW, Fales ==> Fails, Spontainencly ==> Spontaneously, Dispaly ==> Display.

Mark Norton
2006-04-22, 03:51
Oh, and repeatetly ==> repeatedly

ceejay
2006-04-22, 04:02
You should also check out the advice at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

Ceejay

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 04:02
Mark thanks for your support.

I've setup the SB3 to wired (LAN) and every thing is working 100%
When ik change the SB3 to wireless, obtain an IP is somethime a problem. When it finds an IP, the SB3 fails after a few seconds or minutes.

I've tried an other router (USR but other model), but having the same problems.

Could the wireless antenna's inside the SB3 be the problem ??

Mark, i'll keep trying your suggestions.

Mark Norton
2006-04-22, 04:09
Does your IP Address start with 192.168...? If not, you should try a manually entered static IP Address.

Patrick Dixon
2006-04-22, 04:13
It sounds like a wireless strength issue; what wireless strength does the SB3 report?

You might find that moving the SB3 around a little improves the wireless strength significantly and solves the problem.

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 04:27
Wireless strength is 84-90%.

When is check the information in the SB3, is see player model: squeezebox2 ??
Is this correct ?? i've a SB3

My network is as follows.

server/gateway 192.168.0.1
router 192.168.0.3
DHCP 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.110
SB3 192.168.0.101

When i use the IP manually, the same thing happens.

tomzeger
2006-04-22, 04:52
Hi, i have exactly the same problem with my SB3, when i use wifi with wpa encryption, my SB3 randomly freeze between 2-10 minutes. When i use a Ethernet cable no troubles.

I'm using a Linksys router WRT54GL and my slimserver is the last official downloadable on the slimdevices site, SB3 firmware is 28

Millwood
2006-04-22, 06:15
Open the server control on the web. On the left panel you will see server & network health.

if you click it and enable tracking, you will get a record of your signal strength.

also, there is a network test pluggin that will attempt to estimate your effective reliable bandwidth.

maybe one or the other will show something interesting.

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 06:31
Hi, i have exactly the same problem with my SB3, when i use wifi with wpa encryption, my SB3 randomly freeze between 2-10 minutes. When i use a Ethernet cable no troubles.

I'm using a Linksys router WRT54GL and my slimserver is the last official downloadable on the slimdevices site, SB3 firmware is 28

I believe the WPA problem is solved with firmware >41.

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 06:44
Open the server control on the web. On the left panel you will see server & network health.

if you click it and enable tracking, you will get a record of your signal strength.

also, there is a network test pluggin that will attempt to estimate your effective reliable bandwidth.

maybe one or the other will show something interesting.

This is what i see :

Summary
Control Connection : OK
Streaming Connection : OK
Player Signal Strength : OK
Buffer Fullness : Low
Server Response Time : OK

Could the buffer fullness be the problem ?

----

Moved the router from 4 mtrs distance to 0,5 mtr and this gives much better result.
Network test gives now >1500 kbs 86% or less.

Not very high rates

MrC
2006-04-22, 08:22
madpatrick, please try the lastest 6.2.2 nightly build and report how that works. The final release is expected to be released next week, so you can try now, or wait if you don't feel comfortable. Slim support will ask that you update, so you might as well move forward. This release resolves many problems, some of which you indicate.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 09:39
This is what i see :

Summary
Control Connection : OK
Streaming Connection : OK
Player Signal Strength : OK
Buffer Fullness : Low
Server Response Time : OK

Could the buffer fullness be the problem ?

----

Moved the router from 4 mtrs distance to 0,5 mtr and this gives much better result.
Network test gives now >1500 kbs 86% or less.

Not very high rates

That bandwidth does not look good. Looks like you have heavy radio interference? Try changing wireless channels...see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

madpatrick
2006-04-22, 10:08
madpatrick, please try the lastest 6.2.2 nightly build and report how that works. The final release is expected to be released next week, so you can try now, or wait if you don't feel comfortable. Slim support will ask that you update, so you might as well move forward. This release resolves many problems, some of which you indicate.

i've installed this morning the latest version : SlimServer versie: 6.2.2 - 7037 - Linux - NL - utf8

no differences.

Even obtaining an IP from the DHCP server is very hard to get.

madpatrick
2006-04-23, 13:32
Problem looks solved.

I've returned my SB3 and got a new one.
Every things is working good until now.

Great support from the webshop wifisound.nl