PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to Slimserver

prymel
2006-04-21, 20:53
I've read all the threads related to this, tried the various solutions, to no avail. I'm running Slimserver on XP, made all the adjustments to the Windows firewall as indicated in the wiki. I'm connecting wirelessly through a centrally located cable router that is currently supporting two PCs in our home network. The Squeezebox IS connecting wirelessly, which I thought would be the hard part. The PC running Slimserver is connected to the network via an ethernet connection coming from the wall which is connected to the router upstairs. I've tried a myriad of different IP Static address configurations as suggested in the various threads, no luck

I should also note that the SB is unable to connect to Squeeze Network, which is surprising.

So the SB is recognizing my wireless network, which I suspect is a major victory in and of itself. However, I just don't know what else to try to get connected to Slimserver and Squeeze Network. If there's anybody willing to walk me through options, I would highly appreciate it, I'm becoming desperate!

Thanks!
Perry

mherger
2006-04-21, 21:25
> I've read all the threads related to this, tried the various solutions,
> to no avail.

Please give us some _information_ about your system: operating system,
installed security packages, slimserver version, IP configuration of
server, router, SB etc.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

prymel
2006-04-21, 21:45
My operating system wis Windows XP.

I had been running Norton AntiVirus (basic Norton, no firewall/security package), which I've temporarily uninstalled.

I'm using Slimserver version 6.2.2.

Using CMD-ipconfig, it shows my IP address as 192.168.0.11
My subnet mask is 255.255.255.000
My default gateway is 192.168.0.1

I'm not sure which of these correspond to the server, router, etc.

I've set the Local Area Connections properties to see these addresses manually, and disabled the automatic find IP address functionality.

I've added the appropriate port exceptions to the XP firewall, although I've also turned off the firewall.

I use no third party firewall software.

My network hub is a wireless cable modem/router, which I believe may have built in firewall functionality, so perhaps this is an issue?

It seems strange to me that, not only can I not connect to the server, I also cannot connect to the Squeeze Net. This leads me to believe that the SB is not communicating effectively with the modem/router.

HOWEVER, the SB is receiving a wireless connection, so the SB and router are speaking to each other at that level.

Hopefully this info helps.

mherger
2006-04-21, 22:06
> Using CMD-ipconfig, it shows my IP address as 192.168.0.11
> My subnet mask is 255.255.255.000
> My default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Ok, that's fine so far. What about the player's settings ("View current
settings" from the player's config screen)?

> I'm not sure which of these correspond to the server, router, etc.

Server (if this is your machine): 192.168.0.11
Router: 192.168.0.1

Your SB should use another IP in the 192.168.0.x range, the same router
and dns, and 192.168.0.11 (or your server's name) as server.

> My network hub is a wireless cable modem/router, which I believe may
> have built in firewall functionality, so perhaps this is an issue?

Not if player and server are on the same side of the router (LAN).

> It seems strange to me that, not only can I not connect to the server,
> I also cannot connect to the Squeeze Net. This leads me to believe that
> the SB is not communicating effectively with the modem/router.

We would know more if you gave the IP details of your player, too.

> HOWEVER, the SB is receiving a wireless connection, so the SB and
> router are speaking to each other at that level.

Just double check it's not connecting to your neighbour's network... do
you see your wlan's ssid? What encryption do you use?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

prymel
2006-04-22, 05:56
>Ok, that's fine so far. What about the player's settings ("View >current
>settings" from the player's config screen)?

Here are all the IPs I see from the "View current settings" screen (just don't want to inadvertently omit something you may find important):

IP Address: 192.168.0.11

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS Server: 24.93.41.125 (the address I obtain when running cmd, ipconfig /all from the run function on the start menu)

Slimserver: 192.168.0.11

MAC Address (no idea what this is, but listing it here anyway):
00 04 20 06 5f 2d

Is the DNS Server the Player? Just for fun, I changed that address to be the same as the router (192.168.0.1), but that didn't work.

>> HOWEVER, the SB is receiving a wireless connection, so the SB and
>> router are speaking to each other at that level.

>Just double check it's not connecting to your neighbour's >network... do
>you see your wlan's ssid? What encryption do you use?

I'm not sure how to specifically do this. However, I used the Wireless Setup Wizard in Control panel to assign a SSID name to my network and acquire a WEP encryption key. I input the name and the key into the SB, which was the solution to getting the SB to find my wireless network (wasn't able to connect wirelessly until I did this). Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm presuming that this tells me I'm finding my own network.

When I try to connect to SqueezeNet, it come back with "can't find SqueezeNetwork address". What would I need to do to have the SB find SqueezeNet? Am I wrong to suspect that my inability to find SqueezeNet and my inability to find the server (presuming I get the IPs squared away) are linked to the same cause?

Hope this additional info helps, I look forward to replies!

Thanks!

Siduhe
2006-04-22, 06:09
The problem appears to be that your SB Player has been allocated the same IP address as your Slimserver (i.e. the PC that the slimserver software is running on) - 192.168.0.11 As Michael says, these need to be different. The "IP address" is the player.

How does your system hand out IP addresses ? Is your router set up to allocate them automatically ?

If so, try setting up the SB Player with a manual IP address outside the DHCP range of your router - something like 192.168.0.101 and see if this allows you to connect.

prymel
2006-04-22, 06:25
I'm not sure how the router hands out IP addresses, how would I determine this?

At any rate, I manually changed the settings as described (apologies for being a bit dumb in my interpretations of responses, I'm very new to IP address issues!). Here are my current settings:

IP Address: 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
Slimserver: 192.168.0.11

Hopefully I've got the relationships correct now between the addresses.

I'm still unable to connect to either Slimserver or SqueezeNetwork using these settings. Not sure what to try next.

Siduhe
2006-04-22, 06:31
What make / model is your router ?

prymel
2006-04-22, 07:07
I received a generic wireless modem from the cable company which has no brand or make info. stamped on it that I can see. The installation CD literally says "Wireless Cable Modem". Looking through the CD User Guide file, it looks like this is an Ambit DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem, but the guide is the only place this is referenced.

If there is info. from the User guide that would be helpful to know, please indicate, and I'll look through the guide to find it so I can share with you.

Given my inability to find SqueezeNet, I'm suspecting that perhaps it's a modem/router issue, is that what you're starting to think?

I appreciate everyone's continued help.

Siduhe
2006-04-22, 07:45
Could be - it's certainly not a brand that anyone has reported as working in the routerstatus pages (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus) and other people have had problems with routers supplied by / tied into their cable companies rather than independent third party products.

That said, it looks as if the Ambit router is fully configurable. Go to the router web interface (probably http://192.168.0.1 for you). Couple of things to look out for:

Are there any Turbo / "G" mode options or QoE in the router pages - anything that is supposed to speed up traffic or prioritise voice or music content ? If so, switch it off.

Is MAC address filtering enabled ? If so, switch it off.

Is there a Security Log page in the router pages ? If so, this may give you some useful info as to whether / how your player is trying to connect - do you see the 192.168.0.101 address anywhere in that log (and if so, what does it say) ?

prymel
2006-04-22, 08:08
Let's see...

There's a screen that says "MAC Restrict Mode", and it defaults to Disabled. Is that the same as MAC filtering being turned off?

The Firewall protection is enabled.

I don't see anything related to "Turbo"/G mode

I don't see any applicable references in the Security log or any of the other logs.

Here are the Gateway IP settings as indicated on the Gateway Info. screen:

INTERNET SETTINGS
Gateway MAC Address: 00:0e:9b:97:48:1a
Internet IP Address: 24.243.11.105
Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway: 24.243.0.1
DNS:
DHCP Remaining Time: 0 days 19:19:26

LOCAL SETTINGS
Gateway IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255. 0
DHCP Server: Enable
No Server Allowed : Disabled
NAT : Enabled
Wireless Status : Enabled
Operating Mode: NAT mode
IP Range: 192.168.0.10 through 192.168.0.13
System Up-Time: 4 days 16 Hours 10 Minutes 4 Seconds

Siduhe
2006-04-22, 08:14
Ok, do you have anything else on your network which is using the IP address 192.168.0.013 ? If not, try assigning that to your SB player to bring it back within DHCP range. Then reboot the router (there should be a button for this somewhere on the webpages) and the SB (unplug, plug back in).

If that doesn't work, try disabling the in-built router firewall (only temporarily mind), reboot, and see if that makes a different. It may be that your router isn't keeping up with you changing these settings and just needs a reboot.

prymel
2006-04-22, 08:35
Leaving the house for a few hours, I'll try these things when I return. Thanks in advance for the feedback, I'll post an update later on how it went.

rclimbs
2006-04-22, 09:53
I am having a similar problem and have been trying the suggestions in this post - my wireless router is a Linsys WRT54GS with speedbooster - can anyone help me with how I can turn this feature off, as I think that might be causing the problem.

prymel
2006-04-22, 10:56
OK, just tried the most recent suggestions, no luck, unable to connect to either Slimserver or SqueezeNet. Anything else worth trying?

Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 11:49
OK, just to eliminate wireless as a factor, wire your SB using a patch cable to the router.

Let's get you to SqueezeNetwork first.

You should be able to work with the following settings:

Player IP address: 192.168.0.13, or 0.12, provided that the SlimServer PC is the only other device on your network.
DNS server: 24.93.41.125
SlimServer IP address (not required for SqueezeNetwork, but you may have to enter it anyway): 192.168.0.11

Get your PIN number from Player Settings. On your PC, go to www.squeezenetwork.com and use the PIN number to generate an account.

prymel
2006-04-22, 20:45
I've got updates, with one victory, and one nagging problem.

First, I went to the cable company to swap out my AMBIT modem/router for a replacement, which is a Netgear. Brought it home, hooked it up, and ran through all the wireless set up procedures that have been suggested on this thread. As with the AMBIT router, the wireless network was found, even received a slightly stronger wireless signal, but absolutely no success finding SqueezeNet or SlimServer. Making the router change made zero difference in the outcome. So the nagging issue remains...how do I find SqN and SS wirelessly?

Pursuant to Mark's message above, I hooked up the SB directly to the network using an ethernet cable, and was successful at finding both Slimserver and SqueezeNet, and was very happy, to say the least.

So the problem appears to be a wireless one. I'm able to get a wireless signal, but unable to do anything with it. Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-22, 21:09
Which Netgear is it? Check http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?RouterStatus to see other users experience with it.

You indicate you're using 6.2.2. That means your SB has firmware 43 or 45, right? (See Settings - Information - Player Information on the SB). This is good, these firmwares work with almost everything now.

Read http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide This is more or less the sum of knowledge of working through problems like this. Baby steps first, try no encryption.

prymel
2006-04-22, 21:59
Based on the Information screens, I'm using 6.2.2, with Firmware 41. My Netgear is CG814WG, which I don't see on the router page.

One strange item - the information says I'm using Squeezebox2, rather than 3. I definitely have 3, not sure why it says 2, or if that even matters.

davep
2006-04-22, 22:09
One strange item - the information says I'm using Squeezebox2, rather than 3. I definitely have 3, not sure why it says 2, or if that even matters.

Prymel, can't help you on the router problem (I use Linksys which seems to just work) but on the SB2 or 3 issue this is because both are functionally identical internally, only things like the casework and location of antenna differ. As far as Slimserver is concerned they both look the same: SB2. So, no, it doesn't matter.

davep

Siduhe
2006-04-23, 03:28
Prymel - sorry to hear you're still having problems, but good that you're narrowing it down !

The CG814WG looks like another OEM modem for use by cable companies. Once you've connected the SB player to your network, can you then ping the Player ? (On your PC / Start / Run / type Ping 192.168.0.13)

When you start up Slimserver on your PC (http://localhost:9000), it may be worth checking under Server Settings / Security that you have "Block incoming connections" set to "Do Not Block". It does sound a bit to me like your router is blocking the connection between Slimserver and the Player for some reason.

Also, it may be worth trying the latest nightly for 6.2.2. as firmware 45 is supposed to bring in some further improvements for wireless connectivity.

prymel
2006-04-23, 08:29
I pinged the player and it responded. Also, my setting has been on "Do Not Block".

I downloaded the 4/23 nightly build, and it's now installed, indicating Firmware 45. I want to go back and test the wireless connectivity, but now I have a very stupid question - how do I find the setup screen again on SB? Now that's it's linked via ethernet, it no longer shows the startup option as it did out of the box. Do I just unplug the ethernet cable (I could try this anyway, but at this point I'm sensitive to doing anything that hasn't been suggested here!)

Thanks!

Michaelwagner
2006-04-23, 08:44
If I understand the question, just hold down the power button for like 20 seconds and it will reboot and take you back to network setup.

There's another path too, but this one is easier to explain.

prymel
2006-04-23, 09:32
Tried to find the server and network wirelessly again, but no luck.

I'm using the exact same IP seetings as I use when I connect via ethernet. I'm also getting a 75% signal strength, so there is definitely some communicating going on by SB with the network. Just can't past that point.

prymel
2006-04-23, 12:43
After reviewing the responses to another user with similar problems on the forum, and studying the wiki intently, I finally found a solution to my wireless problem - it's definitely an encryption issue.

As a test, I disabled the WEP-128 encryption that was being used (and all encryption), and the server and network were found. I've now changed the encryption to WPA-PSK on my router, setup a new network on the SB, and everything is still working.

One follow-up question: When setting up the new SB network, I noticed it didn't ask for the encryption key, whereas when I was WEP-128 enabled, it always asked for the key each time I attempted to re-set up the network. Is this typical?

Thanks for everybody's assistance to me, and the assistance provided to others in the forum (as my solution utlimately came from a different thread)!

prymel
2006-04-23, 12:47
One brief add-on to my previous question: When I review my network settings on the SB, for "Wireless Encryption", it says NONE, even though my router gateway confirms WPA-PSK. Anything I should be concerned about?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-23, 14:45
One brief add-on to my previous question: When I review my network settings on the SB, for "Wireless Encryption", it says NONE, even though my router gateway confirms WPA-PSK. Anything I should be concerned about?

?

I think this means that you never did enable WPA-PSK! You must've missed a setting in the router?

You also say you never were prompted to enter a passphrase. This also means you're operating without encryption. As soon as you select WPA Personal in the Squeezebox you'll be prompted for a passphrase.

prymel
2006-04-23, 16:35
That's strange, I clicked APPLY in the router gateway settings, and when I logged out and logged back in, the WPA-PSK box was still checked. When I redid the Network Settings on Squeezebox (using the new SSID name for the revised configuration), it recognized the new SSID name, but never even provided an option to do anything with encryption, such as entering the new encryption key. How do I get to an option to enter WPA-Personal data?

I clicked on everything I could see on the router configuration screens, and found nothing beyond the APPLY button which would appear to enable anything. Is there something additional I should be looking for? I ran the Wireless Setup Wizard on XP Control Panel to print an encryption key, so I have something to input if I can get this figured out.

Also, if the Gateway shows encryption enabled, how might I go about reconciling the SB and the Gateway status?

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-23, 19:00
I remember reading that the most recent firmware "auto-senses" what the router is capable of and provides only those options. Previously, you always had the option in SB setup.

It says: "Choose your wireless encryption: No password/no encryption / 64 bit WEP / 128 bit WEP / WPA Personal / WPA2 Personal" then you enter the wireless passphrase if you selected a mode where one is required.

I am not using the most recent firmware so I don't know what's going on but it seems to think that your router isn't transmitting anything other than no encryption.

That said, it would not allow you to connect to an encrypted wireless AP without a passphrase, so you are not encrypted.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about your router so I can't give you advice on that. The only thing I can suggest - you set WPA-PSK but did you specify a passphrase? In the router, not in Windows.

Regarding the SB firmware, hopefully Richard Titmuss will spot this thread - he's the developer of this firmware and it's actually solved a lot of issues for people with problems. His user name is "rtitmuss" if you want to PM him.

prymel
2006-04-23, 19:55
I'll try to contact Richard, thamks for the suggestion.

Just to test, I went back to the router gateway and changed from WPA-PSK back to 128-bit WEP. Then I tried to setup SB with the revised configuration, and it allowed me the screen to input the encryption key. Then I set up a different configuration on the router using WPA-PSK again, tried again on the SB, and no option to select my encryption. Since it allows me to select encryption when using WEP, but not WPA, I'm pretty confident I'm saving my configuration (such as it is) properly on the router, but it's not broadcasting to the SB (or maybe I'm still needing to tweak something on the router, but I'm at a loss to figure out what it could be, I've gone through every screen with a fine toothed comb).

Thanks again!

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-23, 20:42
Your router will absolutely, positively NOT allow you to connect using WPA-PSK if you haven't entered the right passphrase or if the SB is operating in WEP or no encryption mode. That's what it's designed to do.

So I'm not sure what's going on. Note you can reuse your WEP passphrase when you switch to WPA, but you have to specifically switch the SB from WEP to WPA.

prymel
2006-04-24, 05:27
Note you can reuse your WEP passphrase when you switch to WPA, but you have to specifically switch the SB from WEP to WPA.
This is the part I'm having difficulty with - when I set the router to WEP-128, the SB gives me all the options of encryption to selct from (64-bit; 128-bit; WPA, etc.). I select 128-bit, the SB accepts it, and I have a wireless connection (although still with the server access difficulties, but at least the SB and router are speaking to each other).

When I set the router to WPA-PSK (with a passphrase included in the gateway), the SB gives me no option at all to enter an encryption type of any kind, that screen and those steps are automatically bypassed. If I switch back to WEP, the options are presented again.

So one of my issues is how do I switch from WEP to WPA if the SB doesn't even give me the opportunity to try? I'd at least welcome the SB giving me the chance to enter SOMETHING, even if it were to be rejected.

I realize you might not have the answer, but I wanted to be clear as to my dilemma, in case others may have a thought. I appreciate your help Mark, if you have other ideas please let me know!

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-24, 05:31
This is the part I'm having difficulty with - when I set the router to WEP-128, the SB gives me all the options of encryption to selct from (64-bit; 128-bit; WPA, etc.). I select 128-bit, the SB accepts it, and I have a wireless connection (although still with the server access difficulties, but at least the SB and router are speaking to each other).

When I set the router to WPA-PSK (with a passphrase included in the gateway), the SB gives me no option at all to enter an encryption type of any kind, that screen and those steps are automatically bypassed. If I switch back to WEP, the options are presented again.

Perhaps it's working then? With WPA, there's no "levels", i.e. there's no "64-bit WPA" or "128-bit WPA", it's just WPA. When you select WPA in the Squeezebox, you are presented with a passphrase - the one you last used is entered (even if it was your WEP passphrase). If this is accepted and you connect, you're using WPA.

prymel
2006-04-24, 07:41
I'm not sure I'm doing a good job of describing what I'm seeing.

When I enable WEP (and I've enabled/disabled/reenabled several times to make sure I'm getting a consistent result), I go to the "Set up networking" on the SB, and it runs me through the expected screens (e.g., what country am I from; what's my SSID, etc.). Before it tries to connect me to the network, it always asks me about what encryption I want to use, and gives me all the choices. I select WEP-128, and it gives me the screen to input my key, I do that, and it connects me. When I review my settings after this, it indicates that I'm connected using 128-bit.

When I switch the router to WPA-PSK, then go to set up networking on the SB, it asks for my country and the SSID, just like with WEP. Once I confirm the SSID, the SB immediately logs me on to the network, *without* ever having given me an option to select an encryption type or enter a passname. It blows right past that step automatically, it doesn't pause or stop, so I never see those screens. When I review settings, the encryption type says "NONE". So, as you indicated upthread, I don't think I'm encrypted, yet the router shows that WPA-PSK has been selected when I review its settings.

I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong in setting this up, but I don't understand why the SB doesn't stop and give me the opportunity to input *something*, even if it's totally inaccurate. When I use WEP, it let's me input the encryption selection and a key; when I configure for WPA-PSK, SB doesn't give me a chance to do this. At this point, it would be a victory if the SB stopped at the encryption options, and allowed me to input something that was rejected - at least then I'd have an idea about possible inconsistencies or set-up issues.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-24, 07:51
Yes, that is bizarre behavior.

Do you have access to a wireless laptop? Does it indicate what's going on with your network?

The troubling thing is you indicate in post #28 (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=104161&postcount=28) that:

I ran the Wireless Setup Wizard on XP Control Panel to print an encryption key, so I have something to input if I can get this figured out.

I'm not sure what this does. I've never had to do it and I'm concerned it's screwing something up. Windows is not in control of your wireless network, your router is. Are you connecting your computer wirelessly? Is it connecting using WPA-PSK? Unfortunately NetStumbler won't indicate if you're using WEP or WPA, it'll classify them both as "WEP" but it will at least indicate if you're encrypted or unencrypted.

If your PC has a wireless NIC, download NetStumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/) to see if your network is encrypted or not.

prymel
2006-04-24, 10:03
I'm not connecting my computer wirelessly, in fact, it has no wireless capability built in. Also, I don't have access at present to a wireless laptop.

Re: Post #28, I've since recognized the error in using that functionality. Since that time, I've configured the router directly using the router's gateway. One success with this is that I changed how I was setting up the WEP (started using the gateway), such that I was finally able to to connect to the network, and access both SlimServer and SqueezeNet wirelessly using the WEP-128 protocol. If the WEP encryption was sufficiently secure, I'd be a happy camper, but realizing it's not very secure, I'd prefer to access using WPA-PSK. I'm using the router to configure, totally disregarding the Windows steps previously indicated.

My gateway also has an option for "WPA" (no "-PSK"), where it asks for info. re: Radius Server IP address, and related data. I've not done anything with that, I've always worked straight from the WPA-PSK option. Could that have any bearing on the issue?

Also, even though it's clear that something is amiss, when I configure WPA-PSK on the router, I'm using the same steps to save my configuration that I used to save WEP (i.e., clicking APPLY when done; logging out then back in to ensure that the change is still reflectd). While I concede that something is not working right, I am definitely saving some sort of settings for WPA-PSK, including a self-generated passname (which I guess is used to generate the encryption key), number of minutes that the existing key is used before it changes, etc. These changes are reflected as having saved successfully in the gateway, so it doesn't appear that I'm doing something wrong from that standpoint.

Mark Lanctot
2006-04-24, 10:11
My gateway also has an option for "WPA" (no "-PSK"), where it asks for info. re: Radius Server IP address, and related data. I've not done anything with that, I've always worked straight from the WPA-PSK option. Could that have any bearing on the issue?

No, it seems you've chosen the correct option. "PSK" stands for "pre-shared key". It just means that the key is maintained in the router and that all clients must provide it to get access. This is the normal setup in home networks.

RADIUS servers are used in businesses. A central server maintains and passes out keys to all clients. You don't want or need this.

Also, even though it's clear that something is amiss, when I configure WPA-PSK on the router, I'm using the same steps to save my configuration that I used to save WEP (i.e., clicking APPLY when done; logging out then back in to ensure that the change is still reflectd). While I concede that something is not working right, I am definitely saving some sort of settings for WPA-PSK, including a self-generated passname (which I guess is used to generate the encryption key), number of minutes that the existing key is used before it changes, etc. These changes are reflected as having saved successfully in the gateway, so it doesn't appear that I'm doing something wrong from that standpoint.

Everything seems alright but the fact remains that your router should not allow you access without entering in a passphrase. You didn't enter a passphrase and the encryption settings in the SB indicate "none" so it doesn't seem that you're using WPA.

Unfortunately I'm at a loss to to suggest what's next. I don't know what's screwing up, the SB or the router, and I don't know anything about your router or about the new SB firmware since I'm not using it.

Hopefully someone else will chime in here! Anybody?

mark12356
2006-04-29, 11:37
Wierdest thing - I've been using my old Squeezebox and Slimserver for months and months. I'm a very happy user. I bought a new PC, so I uninstalled Slimserver off the old PC, installed Slimserver 6.2.1 on the new PC and always got the same message - Cannot find slimserver. So I re-installed the software on my old PC. Funny, that no longer works either.

Perhaps I was using this older version on my old PC? So I uninstall 6.2.1 and install 5.4.0 Problem goes away.

Over to you, Slim Devices.

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 11:48
Wierdest thing - I've been using my old Squeezebox and Slimserver for months and months. I'm a very happy user. I bought a new PC, so I uninstalled Slimserver off the old PC, installed Slimserver 6.2.1 on the new PC and always got the same message - Cannot find slimserver. So I re-installed the software on my old PC. Funny, that no longer works either.

Perhaps I was using this older version on my old PC? So I uninstall 6.2.1 and install 5.4.0 Problem goes away.

Over to you, Slim Devices.
Mark:

I'm guessing from your description that you have a Squeezebox 1?

Where does the message "cannot find slimserver" show up? On the squeezebox?

Did you hold down the power key on the remote and force the SB to reboot? This often clears up problems on the SB1s. They had a few quirks (but I love mine).

Is your SB wired or wireless?

If you have fallen back to 5.4.0, is there any reason you don't use 5.4.1? It was a little better and fixed a few things.

mark12356
2006-04-29, 13:15
Thank you for Michael for coming back to me on this one. Yes, I am using an SB1, have been for ages, it's great. It connects wirelessly, encrypted network. I reboot the SB the old-fashioned way, by taking the power lead out and plugging it back in. (I didn't know you could do it with the power switch - thanks) The error message comes from the SB. I have done some experiments and here is the full info so far:

I have been using SB1/Slimserver on my old PC happily for many months. I recently invested in a new self-build PC based on an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard, to improve game and multimedia performance. This works fine, games running well, internet connection, etc. No problems. XP Pro, SP2. This post comes to you from this new PC.

SO I uninstall Slimserver from my old PC and install it on the new one. I reboot the SB, it connects to the network, finds an IP address, then complains it can't find slimserver. There seems to be nothing I can do to fix this, so I go back to the old PC to see what's happening.

SO I install Slimserver 6.2.1 on my OLD PC. This is a "cold" installation, since all the Slimserver components have been removed by the uninstall. Same problem. Wierd. So I uninstall 6.2.1 and install 5.4.0 Problem goes away, sweet sounds again from the SB. So then I install 6.2.1 on top of the 5.4.1 installation, and this still works with no problems.

CONCULSION SO FAR: ON MY OLD PC, Slimserver 5.4.0 works from a cold install. Slimserver 6.2.1 does not work form a cold install. 6.2.1 works only if it is installed on top of 5.4.0 This is most likely exactly why I have been enjoying 6.2.1 in recent months, since I almost certainly put it in on top of my old 5.4.1 install.

ON MY NEW PC, I have installed Slimserver 5.4.0 but unfortunately this does not work. I have already proved that 6.2.1 does not work from a cold install on this machine either. Next, I will try putting 6.2.1 on top of the 5.4.0

The fact that the software works on my old PC, proves that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the networking, router, etc.
Wierdness!

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mark

mark12356
2006-04-29, 13:19
The reason I didn't go back to 5.4.1 instead of 5.4.0, is that I happen to have a copy of 5.4.0 on my PC, but not 5.4.1
M

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 13:35
FYI All old versions of slimserver are on the web site.
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

With XP SP2, you need to be sure the damned firewall software isn't interfering.

I had exactly the problem you described this morning in another setup (not my home one). XP2 firewall was prompting me back at the server, and I didn't know and didn't expect it.

The symptoms are "unable to connect to Slimserver" exactly like you describe.

If that's not it, we can do some more debugging.

mark12356
2006-04-29, 13:38
I have now put 6.2.1 on top of 5.4.0 as per my post-2. Same result, doesn't work.
M

mark12356
2006-04-29, 13:47
Ok, I disabled the Windows firewall (having disconnected my router from the ADSL connection) Same result, doesn't work. I checked that the LAN was still working by accessing some files on a networked PC.

The questions are, I think: Why does 6.2.1 only work on my old PC when installed on top of 5.4.0, and not from a clean install? And why does neither version work on my new PC?

Hmmmm

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 14:17
OK. Let me cover a few fundamental things, because I find this all rather confusing.

Did you ever run an experimental, beta version of the software? like 6.5?

Did you ever install Active State Perl on your computer?

Why are you installing 6.2.1 instead of 6.2.2, since 6.2.2 is out and running?

If you go to the basic downloads page, as of a few days ago, 6.2.2 is what you get.

When you install slimserver, does the web interface come up?

If so, does it see the player? (stranger things have happened)

mark12356
2006-04-29, 14:26
Hi, thanks for your continued input...here's the answers to your questions:

No, I never ran experimental software, so far as I can recall, and certainly not 6.5

I don't know what active state Perl is, and I don't think I've put it on my PC unless some package did so behind my back

I installed 6.2.1 on my new PC since that is what I had running on my old PC. I like to replicate known functioning systems before upgrading. However I will go now and get 6.2.2 and see what happens.

When I install Slimserver, the web interface comes up, and it complains that it cannot find the player.

Cheers,
Mark

mark12356
2006-04-29, 14:47
Nope, 6.2.2 doesn't help
M

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 14:50
OK. The SB gets an IP address OK? What's the IP address?

mark12356
2006-04-29, 15:00
Yep, the SB gets 192.168.0.2

The router web browser interface is accessed via is 192.168.0.1
The PC running Slimserver is 192.168.0.6
The other 2 PCs on the network are 192.168.2.5 amd 192.168.0.6
There are no other IPs assigned.

I am feeling that since SB+Slimserver work (when installed under very precise conditions as per my earlier post) on my old PC on this network, there is probably nothing fundamentally wrong with the networking side of things. There is however some clear difference between my new PC and my old one. Both are XP pro, the old one started before SP1, and upgraded via the net. The new one is a new and clean install from a Windows master disk with XP pro SP2 on it.

It's coming up to 23.00 here, so I'm off to bed. Thanking you for your input today, I'll pick up the thread tomorrow again if I may.
Thanks for all so far,
M

Michaelwagner
2006-04-29, 15:27
By the time difference, I guess you're in England or there-abouts?

When you're up in the morning, I won't be. But that's OK. I'll see your posting when I get up. It'll be afternoon for you I guess.

You wrote:

The other 2 PCs on the network are 192.168.2.5 amd 192.168.0.6
I assume you meant 192.168.0.5

Does the new slimserver PC have the same name as the old slimserver PC? The SB1 memorizes various bits of information about the last guy it had a successful connection with. That can confuse things.

Do you have only the one SB?

mark12356
2006-04-29, 23:57
Yes, I am in the UK, near London as it happens, and I am guessing you're USA/Canada?

My new PC has a different name from the old one. However, I do always reboot the SB every time I want to reconnect so I would hope that this would reset the device name that it is looking for?

Yes, I meant 192.168.0.n in all cases - error caused by the fact that I used to have two routers; the old one defaulted to 192.168.2.n

Yes, I only have the one SB

Experimental solution: I move the SB next to the router and connect using an Ethernet cable. This works! So I remove the cable and connect wirelessly. This works too! So then I move my SB back to its original place on the hi-fi. This still works, so it wasn't a signal strength problem. Perhaps the SB retains some information about its old host that is not reset upon cold start?

Thank you for your help, it's always very good to have someone to talk to when problems like this arise.

Cheers,
M

Michaelwagner
2006-04-30, 07:12
Yes, Canada, Toronto in fact.

Not too many people use this, but there is a feature in this board where you can say where you are and it shows up in the upper right hand corner of each post.

Since I try to be helpful here, I have put that information in, in case people want to figure out time zone stuff.

I'm glad it worked.

The SB1 was Slim's first attempt at wireless. My only wireless box is an SB1, so I can't compare the experience to other wireless Slims, but it certainly has it's moments and it's quirks. The power failed here a few days ago for an hour or so and everything came back except the wireless slim. It can't see the wireless network until after one of our wireless notebooks has connected to it, then it sees it fine. No idea why.

And yes, it does seem to retain some state information about the last guy it connected to. The name certainly, but some other stuff too. My solution is to switch between servers as infrequently as possible. I actually have 3 configurations on my machine, the released code, the minor bug fix nightly and the development code. I can start and stop each of them but they all run on the same machine. Cuts down on confusion.

At the moment they're all about a month out of date, and since a new release version has come out, it's all old. :-)

The SB1 has an external antenna. Does your wireless access point (WAP) too? Sometimes small changes in the angles of one or the other makes a world of difference.

Also, you can buy, from Linksys and Netgear and maybe others too, replacement antennas that are higher gain. Bigger and more visible, but they boost gain (they say) by 7dB or so, which is significant. Not earth shattering, but often enough to clear a problem up.

Sometimes putting your router or WAP higher up in the room means less signal absorbtion by steel things like computers, monitors, toaster ovens and microwaves.

Oh, and it's not of much good to you at the moment, but the later SB2s and SB3s have a music buffer that's something like 5 times the size of the one in the SB1, so they can ride out longer outages, like 25 seconds instead of 5, without it turning into an audible drop.

Glad to hear it worked out. Enjoy.

mark12356
2006-05-01, 09:36
Yes, both the SB1 and the wireless router have external antennae. I'm sure that signal strength was not the problem though, since the SB1 worked p-erfectly well in its location on my hifi for months before this new system came in.

I think it's as you said, the box was remembering some stuff about the old machine, and it only got reset when the thing was hard-wried in.

Thanks again and bye for now. I'll get a SB3 when I can, I think that they're pretty much as good as you can get, given the capability of wifi in relation to audio transmission.

Cheers,
Mark

keoni
2006-05-01, 13:20
I had the same problem and this did it for me.

Aloha,
Keoni