PDA

View Full Version : Process priority in 6.2.2 Windows

chris.mason
2006-04-20, 12:07
Hi all,

I'm messing about with SlimServer 6.2.2 at the moment. I noticed how much it slows down my system on startup, and when rescanning - something 6.2.1 never did.

This is running on Windows XP sp2 BTW.

I checked the process list, and looked at the process priority and it was set to "High" - two notches above "Normal" where it should be. Setting it back to Normal, and everything was OK.

Is there anyway I can change this for the executable?

Chris.

oreillymj
2006-04-20, 12:10
This is a recent change in the 6.22 nightlies.
There's a thread in the beta forum that you can add your comments to.

JJZolx
2006-04-20, 13:23
I'm messing about with SlimServer 6.2.2 at the moment. I noticed how much it slows down my system on startup, and when rescanning - something 6.2.1 never did.

I checked the process list, and looked at the process priority and it was set to "High" - two notches above "Normal" where it should be. Setting it back to Normal, and everything was OK.

What, you don't want Slim Server hijacking your computer?

Go figure...

It's is getting closer and closer to the point where anyone running Slim Server will need a dedicated server to do so. That's fine with me, but I think I'm in the 10 or 20% minority of customers who agree. It will be interesting to see how Slim Server can be further developed so that it can reliably coexist on the typical home desktop computer while that computer is used for other tasks.

rbl
2006-05-07, 03:23
Hi all,

Chris.
I am running the latest 6.5 beta version and would like to set the priority higher. Do you know which executables I should set?
Many thanks ..

ipodscool
2006-05-07, 04:16
There is a tiny app called "Process Tamer" available as freeware here:

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/proctamer/index.html

Not only will this set the process priority of Slimserver to the setting of your choice but it will also monitor other processes silently in the background. Of course you could just use it to monitor SS & ignore the rest. It works for me & only occasionally do I have to intervene & instruct it to ignore.

Mark Norton
2006-05-07, 04:21
I hate it when software designers make assumptions about how important their software is going to be in my environment.

It's the same when people send me emails flagged at high priority. Back of the queue...

Kalidor
2006-05-07, 04:38
Hi Chris

Years ago I had a similar problem with other programs.
I've wrote a little NT service to change the priority & process affinity.
You can download it from:
ftp://ftp.kalidor.ch/pub/AdjustProcessInfo.zip

Important:
First press the 'Add' button, otherwise the thing will crash!

Ben Diss
2006-05-07, 05:24
I'm on 6.22 also, and I just checked my priority during a rescan. Mine stayed at normal. Dunno how they could be different.

-Ben