PDA

View Full Version : Firmware 43

rtitmuss
2006-04-20, 03:07
Firmware 43 is now available in the nightly releases for 6.2.2 and 6.5b1.

This version fixes a problem that caused playback to stop on network interference. It also fixes WPA and WPA2 on Draytek routers, but the WEP+WPA mode available in these routers is not yet supported.

Richard

egd
2006-04-20, 07:14
Just downloaded and installed FW43. Solved the wireless authentication issues 41 introduced. :)

blueranger
2006-04-20, 08:09
Hey! Great! Thanks Richard.

I just tested the new firmware with my SB2 and Draytek 2600VG and it's all working.

The SB2 has connected using WPA2 and my laptop is using WPA. I'm using firmware v2.5.8.1rc1_UK on the 2600VG which adds WPA2 support. If there are any other 2600VG users in the UK who need the new firmware it can be obtained from Draytek support in Taiwan - the UK support people denied it existed.

Thanks again Richard.

Des
2006-04-20, 08:14
Hey! Great! Thanks Richard.

I just tested the new firmware with my SB2 and Draytek 2600VG and it's all working.

The SB2 has connected using WPA2 and my laptop is using WPA. I'm using firmware v2.5.8.1rc1_UK on the 2600VG which adds WPA2 support. If there are any other 2600VG users in the UK who need the new firmware it can be obtained from Draytek support in Taiwan - the UK support people denied it existed.

Thanks again Richard.
Very good news. Can the SB2 connect using WPA instead? This would save me struggling on to get WPA2 working, for which I would need v2.5.8.1rc1_UK, rather than v2.5.7.

blueranger
2006-04-20, 08:23
Hi Des,

I have not tested the SB2 firmware 43 with WPA as to do so would mean back-reving the firmware in my router, which I'm reluctant to do. The Drayek firmware allows mixed WPA+WPA2 or WPA2 only and the Squeezebox will use the most secure, WPA2 given the choice.

If you really need to know I will do it for you - or I could send you the Draytek firmware if you would like to test it. (I got told off in the Draytek forums for sending it to another user who was desperate for WPA2 support though!!)

PM me an address if you want it.

Des
2006-04-20, 10:35
Hi Des,

PM me an address if you want it.

PM sent, thankyou.

Des
2006-04-20, 12:23
I've just tried this build on a Draytek 2600G with firmware 2.5.7, using WPA2 and so far it is working. If it starts to drop out or fail in other ways, I will post again.

bgriffis
2006-04-20, 14:37
I've been having all kinds of problems with dropouts on my SB2 for the last couple months. I tried the FW 41 update a couple days ago and that made a really big difference. I could still make it stop playing though simply by calling my home from my cell phone (not even answering, just letting it ring once). The interference from my 2.4 GHz cordless phones was enough to make it choke.

So I just tried updating to FW 43. This definitely makes a difference. I called and let it ring 5 times and my SB2 kept on playing. HOWEVER, there are a couple issues with the user interface that sprung up:

1) The interface went completely black for a few seconds while my phone was ringing.

2) When the interface came back up the status bar starting counting from the beginning of the song as if the song had started over (the audio which is most important did continue playing uninterrupted). The status bar sync'd back up at the start of the next song.

One other issue that came up is that Moose no longer works well with my SB2 using FW43. The audio quality is top priority and that seems solid but I like the nice GUI provided by Moose.

The firmware is definitely moving in the right direction! My ultimate test is to start the SB2 playing when I go to bed and see if it's still playing in the morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FW 43 will do that! I'll report back later!

Brad

Philip Meyer
2006-04-20, 15:45
>The firmware is definitely moving in the right direction! My ultimate
>test is to start the SB2 playing when I go to bed and see if it's still
>playing in the morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FW 43 will
>do that! I'll report back later!
>
I left both my SB2 and SB3 playing FLAC tracks all day with FW43. After 11 hours, both are still playing.

Nb. I still get drop-outs on my SB3 due to frequent drops in signal strength, but it doesn't cause the music to completely stop playing - I get the occasional micro pause in the playback and then it recovers.

Phil

bgriffis
2006-04-20, 16:42
Disregard my note about Moose not working on FW43. I just discovered that I had already had an instance of Moose running on a different PC. The problem I was having was due to multiple instances running on several PCs, not anything to do with the firmware.

My music is still running strong after an hour or so. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

bgriffis
2006-04-21, 04:00
Firmware 43 has now been playing for 12 hours straight. Finally I can listen to my SB2 stutter-free!

oreillymj
2006-04-21, 04:08
Upgraded to latest 6.22 nightly with FW43.

After the upgrade (I normally just copy the contents of the zip over the existing directories with Slim.exe and slimtray.exe stopped) the server was re-started and decided to do a full re-scan for some reason???

Left my SB2 playing overnight. Still playing this morning about 8hrs later. I haven't had stutters, but did experience 1 stall last week were playback stoppped mid-song.

Signal strength is ~80%

episiarch
2006-04-21, 15:47
With FW43 my wireless SB3s now play ALAC->FLAC files without stuttering. Unfortunately my wired SB2 still stutters on these files (works fine on MP3s).

Server version 6.5b1-6997.

Wirrunna
2006-04-21, 21:15
Installed SlimServer_v2006-04-21.exe over SlimServer_v2006-04-15 on WinXP (AMD 64 X2 3800, 1Gb RAM), SB3, Netgear WGR614V4 wireless router, upgraded firmware to 43.
SB3 would only fill buffer to max of 60% and stutter occasionally. Re-installed SlimServer_v2006-04-15, did not change firmware and all works perfectly with buffer at 100% until near the end of a song, where the buffer empties gracefully before loading the next song.